Compaq Aero and Windows Vista

Old October 27th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Compaq Aero and Windows Vista

I can't connect my Aero to my laptop.

I have a Dell running Vista and it has no serial port, only a USB to serial
adaptor. Windows Mobile Device Center will not recognize the PDA when
connected. I suspect it's something with the Belden USB to serial adaptor,
but don't know how to check. All I can think of is to look for updated
drivers from Belden.

My desktop computer which runs XP Professional, hooks it up and synchronizes
without difficulty.

The obvious solution would be to use the desktop computer, but I don't want
to wait for it to boot up and, since my laptop is always on, it's the
preferred solution. The card reader in the laptop is also too small to read
that giant memory card from the aero.

Old October 27th 11, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bish

On 27 oct, 10:22, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
I can't connect my Aero to my laptop.

I have a Dell running Vista and it has no serial port, only a USB to serial
adaptor. *Windows Mobile Device Center will not recognize the PDA when
connected. *I suspect it's something with the Belden USB to serial adaptor,
but don't know how to check. *All I can think of is to look for updated
drivers from Belden.

My desktop computer which runs XP Professional, hooks it up and synchronizes
without difficulty.

The obvious solution would be to use the desktop computer, but I don't want
to wait for it to boot up and, since my laptop is always on, it's the
preferred solution. *The card reader in the laptop is also too small to read
that giant memory card from the aero.

Hi
I had the same problem using port lower than 9. From port 10 to 35 it
work.
S6
Old October 27th 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Mike Ground

On Oct 27, 7:22*am, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
I can't connect my Aero to my laptop.

I have a Dell running Vista and it has no serial port, only a USB to serial
adaptor. *Windows Mobile Device Center will not recognize the PDA when
connected. *I suspect it's something with the Belden USB to serial adaptor,
but don't know how to check. *All I can think of is to look for updated
drivers from Belden.

My desktop computer which runs XP Professional, hooks it up and synchronizes
without difficulty.

The obvious solution would be to use the desktop computer, but I don't want
to wait for it to boot up and, since my laptop is always on, it's the
preferred solution. *The card reader in the laptop is also too small to read
that giant memory card from the aero.

I have found that connecting the Aero to a computer is always fraught
with complications. I do everything (transfer igc files to OLC,
upload turnpoints, install software, etc.) via the flash card in my
Aero. It’s simple and painless. For about $10 you can buy an
external card reader which accepts “the giant memory card from the
Aero” (aka CF or Compact Flash). It plugs into the USB port on any
computer. Try googling “19-in-1 card readers”. Good Luck. MM
Old October 27th 11, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Oct 27, 7:22*am, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
The card reader in the laptop is also too small to read
that giant memory card from the aero.

Any one that thinks CF is "giant" must be too young to have worked
with RK05 diskpacks

I still like the format of CF. It's certainly far nicer to work with
than micro SD (particularly if the eyes are in the head that remembers
RK05s.

Andy

Old October 28th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:35:11 -0700, Andy wrote:

Any one that thinks CF is "giant" must be too young to have worked with
RK05 diskpacks

RK05? A mere, lightweight pancake.

You obviously never worked with IBM 3330 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
FileysanRemovableDiskPack.agr.jpg) or ICL EDS-200 (http://
http://www.johnberesford.com/profess...computing.html) diskpacks

I still like the format of CF.

There's another advantage too: CF-IDE adaptors are fairly easy to find
and fairly cheap. They allow a standard IDE (PATA) disk controller to
format and read/write a CF card as though its a standard IDE disk drive.
They provide a possible way out if you have an old, small disk drive fail
on fairly ancient kit. I lot of old systems have a controller and/or BIOS
that isn't able to understand disk partitioning and won't support drives
as big as current IDE drives: I've seen systems that limited partitions
to 2GB (OS limit) and the disk to no more than 6.2GB (hardware controller
limit) in total.

Sorry if this is OTT, but it might get somebody out of a hole someday.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 28th 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've got one of those card readers and have used it. Also the commercial
operator at Moriarty has a computer on the counter which has a built-in card
reader. Since I'm in the hangar just next door, it's probably simpler to
just walk the card next door and upload the flight.

Still... I like to tinker.

Old October 28th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Oh, Andy...

I've worked with 8-inch floppy disks, card readers, paper tape bootstrap
loaders, 19-inch single platter 5 MEGABYTE disd drives, and 32 KILOBYTE
operating systems...