Handheld GPS Recommendations?

Old August 17th 04, 03:22 AM
Radu Tenenbaum

You can find a used one on ebay for approx $700. I've had mine for several
years and it was a major improvement over the 195. I mount mine using a RAM
suction cup and it sits on top of the glareshield. Very readable, even in
direct sunlight.

Right now I'm lusting for a 296, but I think I'll wait until they come up
with a GPS/XM Weather combo unit.

Radu

"Shirley" wrote in message
Shopping for a handheld GPS. Anyone have recommendations, advice, or

cautions?
What features are "must haves"? Which did you think you'd use but don't?

Thanks
in advance!

Old August 17th 04, 05:46 AM
XMnushaL8y

Bill French wrfrench wrote:

I bought an AirMap 1000 and for the first
day or so was also underwhelmed.
But after reading through the manual and
a 1300 mile round trip to Oshkosh and back
I've changed my mind.
The large screen and large engineer type
butons certainly make it easy to use in bright
sunlight and turbulence.

[snip]
Price was right and screen size means a lot
when your eyes get older.

Thanks to you and others who replied. A big screen is important to me ... my
eyes aren't what they used to be either! Where did you buy the AirMap 1000?

Old August 17th 04, 11:43 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Cub Driver wrote:

I use a Garmin III Plus, civilian model. See
www.pipercubforum.com/garmin.htm

Thanks for the link. I have had a 3+ for many years and a 3 Pilot (came
with a recent 172 purchase) and you've provided a method to get more
aviation use out of it (the 3+). The primary for our plane(s) has been
the Lowrance Airmap 1000, we're on our second one (2000c wasn't
available yet). I do however have a Magellan 315 that always has the
most current airport database information, its available for free from he

http://home.stny.rr.com/bkw/315

The 315's are by far the cheapest thing I've found out there. I picked
mine up for $125 and that included the power adapter, serial interface
and Datasend software (required for POI transfers). Reception has been
excellent, even back inside the cabin mounted on the yoke. I have
however seen more satellites at the same time, on the 3+. The 315 will
hold around 18,000 POI's (Points of Interest), which allows me to do all
of the 48 states, VFR/ILS and NDB approaches and Seaplane bases. You
have to be careful to not overload it, Datasend will state that you are
under the limit, but actually you do exceed it and it will fault during
the transfer. A drawback of this unit over the others, is that it
doesn't display roads. On the road I use a notebook with mapping
software that gives visual/audible turn by turn instructions though...

Sometimes I hanker for a 196, sometimes for a 296. Meanwhile the plain
vanilla version gets me where I'm going and is marvelously thrifty
with batteries.

I use rechargeables in the 3+ and assumed that they were replenished
with external power. A recent trip to/from Ohio showed that they aren't...

One downfall of the 315 is that it has an internal backup battery that
cannot be user replaced. It is normally recharged by the 2 AA batteries
and if it geaux's south, it'll eat those overnight. Otherwise a good 5
hours or more is likely with battery only operation from Alkaline or
rechareables. Much more I assume if the internal battery is still good.
Downside of pulling the batteries after every use is the need to
reinitialize each time you fire it up...
Old August 17th 04, 08:22 PM
john smith

Bill how low can you dim it at night?
Is it dim enough that it doesn't illuminate the cockpit?
Or, is it dim enough that you can just read it?

Bill French wrote:
I bought an AirMap 1000 and for the first day or so was also underwhelmed.
But after reading through the manual and a 1300 mile round trip to
Oshkosh and back I've changed my mind.
The large screen and large engineer type butons certainly make it easy
to use in bright sunlight and turbulence.
It has three basic screens - one of which is the satelite display -
rarely used.
The other two are the HSI screen and Map Screen - each of these has sub
screens that work well and are intuitive to use once you understand the
layout.
Price was right and screen size means a lot when your eyes get older.

Old August 18th 04, 12:54 PM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:43:25 -0500, Darrel Toepfer
wrote:

The 315 will
hold around 18,000 POI's (Points of Interest), which allows me to do all
of the 48 states, VFR/ILS and NDB approaches and Seaplane bases.

Eventually I found that I had too many waypoints in my Garmin, so I
downloaded everything to the computer (using EZGPS software) and
massaged them a bit and made them into two databases, one with
everything I might ever need, the other with the few dozen that I use
on a monthly basis. Then I erased the Garmin's memory and uploaded
just the short version. I make sure that home plate is the first entry

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old August 18th 04, 03:04 PM
Darrel Toepfer

john smith wrote:

Bill how low can you dim it at night?
Is it dim enough that it doesn't illuminate the cockpit?
Or, is it dim enough that you can just read it?

Its completely adjustable (Menu option), just like the Garmins...
Old August 18th 04, 04:11 PM
kage

My gripe about Garmin is their aviation database. There are no aviation
businesses listed in "City Select" in the auto kit.

So you have an "Aviation" 296 with their latest database and when you get to
an airport there are no FBOs listed, none. But you can find a McDonalds on
Airport Road.

Karl

Old August 19th 04, 11:18 PM
Andrew Gideon

john smith wrote:

Several ways to save money a
a)purchase something fairly new on eBay that the original owner found
deficient and is willing to get rid of at a loss.
b) purchase used (a couple years old).
c) purchase a factory remanufactured/reconditioned unit.

Of purchase something modular.

I'd not thought of this before, but what you're writing makes a lot of
sense. And this would lead one to purchase a PDA solution, I think. The
PDA can be replaced - larger screen, better battery life, faster CPU, etc.
- w/o replacing the software or the GPS itself.

Hmm.

- Andrew

Old August 20th 04, 04:33 PM
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Of purchase something modular.

I'd not thought of this before, but what you're writing makes a lot of
sense. And this would lead one to purchase a PDA solution, I think.

I have a PDA solution but it is a weak second. I have a Dell Axim X5
and I have tried several of the software packages available. First off
the screen is not bright enough. Second PDA's are not designed for the
airplanes environment. The buttons are too small and too touchy to get
a positive result. The PDA is fragile compared to your GPS. Third,
using a stylus in flight is a joke.

The
PDA can be replaced - larger screen, better battery life, faster CPU, etc.
- w/o replacing the software or the GPS itself.

I just got a new Garmin 96C which is a color unit with the same screen
size as my III Pilot. So far I like it and it also has auto and marine
settings. It also comes with software to upload routes and manage your
waypoints.