"Street pattern" notation on charts?

Old April 10th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Default "Street pattern" notation on charts?

the oil bust in the late 1980s

On 2007-04-09, Peter Dohm wrote:
The one that I was familiar with was a case of a a good sized development
that had, for want of a better word, fizzled.

I turned in to one of those when I was visiting Houston, TX. It was
a whole suburban neighborhood of roads, with mature trees all around,
but no houses at all. It was surreal. Houston also had highway ramps
going nowhere (with matching rusted out cranes). I got the impression
that the money dried up suddenly one day and everyone just walked away.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/

Old April 10th 07, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

heres two

N36-17, W115-58
N35-57, W115-53

BT

"Some Other Guy" wrote in message
JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Matt Barrow wrote:

IIUC, it's where streets were laid out, but no buildings erected (ie, RE
development gone bust).

Yep. There are a lot of these out here in the southwest. I've even
seen a
few that were designated as street patterns, then during one of the
inevitable housing booms, were resurrected into actual neighborhoods.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Do you have any lat/lon coordinates?

It sounds like it could be an interesting Google Earth trip.

Old April 10th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Barrow wrote:
IIUC, it's where streets were laid out, but no buildings erected (ie, RE
development gone bust).

Yep. There are a lot of these out here in the southwest. I've even
seen a few that were designated as street patterns, then during one
of the inevitable housing booms, were resurrected into actual
neighborhoods.

Do you have any lat/lon coordinates?

There are some street layouts like this just west and just south of E60
in Eloy, AZ. They aren't listed as "street pattern" on the chart, and
they aren't completely vacant - there are a few houses - but they're
pretty bare.

N32.797, W111.601 or
http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&ll=...111.601267&t=k .

Matt Roberds

Old April 10th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2007-04-09, Peter Dohm wrote:
The one that I was familiar with was a case of a a good sized
development that had, for want of a better word, fizzled.

I turned in to one of those when I was visiting Houston, TX. It was
a whole suburban neighborhood of roads, with mature trees all around,
but no houses at all. It was surreal.

There used to be one of these in Kansas City, Missouri, as well. In
this case, though, the area _used_ to be full of houses. The houses
were bought and razed some time in the late 1960s or early 1970s,
nominally for the purpose of building a highway, but allegedly for the
purpose of "cleaning up a bad part of town". There were trees, streets,
street signs, and even street lights, but no houses. About 25 years
later, they finally built the highway - US 71. The place I remember was
on the north side of 63rd St.

Matt Roberds

Old April 10th 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

On Apr 9, 7:07 pm, Mike Adams wrote:

Yes, that's the spot I was looking for. Interesting curving pattern of irrigated farm fields to the northwest
makes it easy to spot. However, I don't see that one on the sectional or TAC with the "street pattern"
identification. I guess it's just viewed to be not that clearly visible as a landmark. The historical aspect is
interesting, however.

I often use that dirt strip that's just north of the Gila River
camp. The camp has never been listed on the charts as a street
pattern. In fact, it's pretty hard to see unless you're looking for
it. It was first pointed out to me when I was a student and my
instructor and I used to practice on the dirt strip. Last time I
drove down the I-10 in that direction, the Gila River Tribe was
advertising tours of the WWII internment camp. Having flown over the
outlines on the ground for decades, I'll bet that sightseers are
probably disappointed when they actually see it.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 10th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Galban

On Apr 9, 10:03 pm, wrote:

There are some street layouts like this just west and just south of E60
in Eloy, AZ. They aren't listed as "street pattern" on the chart, and
they aren't completely vacant - there are a few houses - but they're
pretty bare.

N32.797, W111.601 orhttp://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&ll=32.797087,-111.601267&t=k.

Yes, the Eloy street pattern is one of the biggest I've seen. It's
huge, but it's never been marked on the charts because of chart
clutter. Somebody must have lost a fortune on that development.

There is a street pattern that is marked on the charts, due south
of Arizona City (SW of Eloy). Here it is on google :

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...39911&t=k&om=1

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 10th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-04-09, Peter Dohm wrote:
The one that I was familiar with was a case of a a good sized development
that had, for want of a better word, fizzled.

I've seen some of these street patterns in the desert where there's no
infrastructure like roads laid, it just looks like the dirt has been
scraped out into a street pattern (like someone drawing lines in the
sand). They are also in the middle of nowhere. I guess someone wanted to
practise using a bulldozer.

"Guilty" of Flying the Wrong Pattern? Marco Leon Piloting 51 November 2nd 06 01:56 AM
Old polish aircraft TS-8 "Bies" ("Bogy") - for sale >pk Aviation Marketplace 0 October 16th 06 07:48 AM
"Replay" your pattern practice on MSFS Marty Ross Simulators 2 November 25th 05 04:34 PM
"Replay" your pattern practice on MSFS Marty Ross Products 2 November 25th 05 04:34 PM