Local community college wants to cut flight instructor pay.

Old April 11th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

Default Local community college wants to cut flight instructor pay.

On Apr 11, 12:27 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Newps writes:
No. You are worth what somebody is willing to pay. Don't like it?
Move. Unions didn't come into existence because of low pay but
primarily because of working conditions.

It's not that simple. Sometimes a heterogenous labor pool can include people
who are willing to work for less than a subsistence wage, competing with
people who cannot afford to do so. The former pull down wages for the latter,
causing problems. And the former are not really being paid a living wage, so
it's not necessarily a fair arrangement. Unions sometimes protect against
this as well.

Why is it not fair to employ someone at a rate that they agree to????
Some people work for things other than just money (flight time for
instance).

-Robert

Old April 11th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Little Endian

cannot work there because someone already got that "uniion gig", even
if he's willing to work there at reduced rate for the experience. i.e.
if you screw up supply/demand you end up with waiting lists, ever see
a bread line in Russia???

The only case where I support tax payer funding is for GA related
expenses. Even though I hate the "long lines" on final at my GA
airport I just grin and bear it. ;-)

Old April 11th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Newps writes:

No. You are worth what somebody is willing to pay. Don't like it?
Move. Unions didn't come into existence because of low pay but
primarily because of working conditions.

It's not that simple. Sometimes a heterogenous labor pool can include
people
who are willing to work for less than a subsistence wage, competing with
people who cannot afford to do so. The former pull down wages for the
latter,
causing problems. And the former are not really being paid a living wage,
so
it's not necessarily a fair arrangement. Unions sometimes protect against
this as well.

Have you ever been a union member?

Old April 11th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
John Galban

On Apr 11, 10:14 am, "Morgans" wrote:

A professional working a full day should make a decent living, not a welfare
living.

That would be nice, but you have to keep in mind that entry level
jobs often pay a low wage. Flight instruction is an entry level job
in the airline pilot field. The position is mostly populated by
people building time in order to move to the next rung on the
ladder.

You can get qualifications for the job in less than a year, and
there are large numbers of people who are thusly qualified that will
do the job almost for free. This is not what most people think about
when they think of "a professional".

Don't get me wrong. I have a great respect for flight
instructors and the sacrifices they make, but I also realize that they
are in it for the experience and will drop flight instruction as soon
as the first freight dog job comes along.

True professional flight instructors do exist. I know several of
them. They charge about triple what the time builder charges and it's
worth it. The ones I know make a pretty good living from it. I've
never heard onen of them complain about low wages.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 12th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
The local paper has an article about the local community college that
wants to cut the pay of its flight instructors:

http://www.registerguard.com/news/20...ion=cityregion

Among other tidbits, I was surprised to see this:
"Flight technology is popular, with about a dozen instructors and more
than 100 students. The demand for pilots is so strong that most students
get jobs soon after completing the degree and flight hour requirements."

ROTFL!

Also "To do that, students typically enroll in an aviation bachelor's
program at Oregon State University and take jobs at Lane as flight
instructors. They earn money and log flight hours while finishing their
upper-division courses."

As a graduate of Oregon State University, I'm curious as to why I've never
seen an "aviation program" this side of AFROTC.

-c

Old April 12th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

Why is it not fair to employ someone at a rate that they agree to????

Because some people benefit from other income, and others don't. A student
who still lives with Mom and Dad may be able to work for nothing, but if he
does so, that eliminates a position for someone who can only work for enough
money to support himself. There are lots of occupations in which this dynamic
applies, and it drives salaries so low that some people must live in poverty.

Some people work for things other than just money (flight time for
instance).

Nobody does that if he must support himself with the work.

Old April 12th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Maxwell writes:

Have you ever been a union member?

I'm not sure.

Old April 12th 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:

My last BFR I drew a expert with about 250 hours, and man what an
experience. Much tougher than my check ride years ago. From now on I'm
checking THEIR logbook before the commiting to any dual.

I look at a tough BFR as a good thing.
Old April 12th 07, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Maxwell writes:

Have you ever been a union member?

I'm not sure.

Noone cares anyway, fjukkktard

Bertie
Old April 12th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
t...
Maxwell wrote:

My last BFR I drew a expert with about 250 hours, and man what an
experience. Much tougher than my check ride years ago. From now on I'm
checking THEIR logbook before the commiting to any dual.

I look at a tough BFR as a good thing.

With an experienced instructor it can be, but doing things like working
weight and balance without a calculator is a bit much. And that was just the
beginning.