182 crash at GON

Old July 7th 05, 10:27 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
"Richard Kaplan" wrote
I think "IFR Rating" is common enough a term to be well understood.
Effective communication is key and I think that does it quite well.

And if we all use the terms that the issuing agency does...

Did you have any question in your mind what he was talking about when he
wrote "IFR Rating"? No, I din't think so and neither did anyone else who
read it.

Hell, one of the books you quoted said IFR Rating.

Old July 7th 05, 10:42 PM
RST Engineering

Not to mention "visibility" instead of "visability" and "take off" instead
of "takeoff".

Jim

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
My rant for the day...but back to the subject, if one ascribes to
professionalism, one must carefully weigh each and every word.

In that case, please note that you meant "aspires", not "ascribes". :-)

--Gary

Old July 7th 05, 10:50 PM
Richard Kaplan

That might have been the theory, but in practice, if your name was
on the schedule, you went flying.

OK so you are now making my point even better than I did regarding the
difference in acceptable risk vs. reward standards between military and
civilian flying. Certainly you will agree that the above weather assessment
strategy is not acceptable for a civilian pilot and that a military pilot
transitioning to civilian aviation would benefit from some sort of training
regarding the differences in military and civilian risk management...do you
not agree?

Old July 7th 05, 11:01 PM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
"Richard Kaplan" wrote
I think "IFR Rating" is common enough a term to be well understood.
Effective communication is key and I think that does it quite well.

And if we all use the terms that the issuing agency does...

Bob, I'm all for using correct terminology; I can be as pedantic as the next
person. But there's nothing incorrect about "IFR rating"--it's a
perfectly accurate description of the rating.

Similarly, there's nothing incorrect about "private pilot license".
"License" is even one of the terms that the issuing agency uses (though it
would be correct even if not); see, for example,
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/lic_cert/change/.

--Gary

Old July 7th 05, 11:17 PM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Not to mention "visibility" instead of "visability" and "take off" instead
of "takeoff".

chuckle

What is the old bit? Those in glass houses?

Without BOb around, seems like nobody regularly points out things, like he
so loved to do. He stomped me pretty good, a few times, (in an amusing sort
of way, *kinda* g) and while I still make mistakes, (fewer, I think) I am
very hesitant to point out others, else get the treatment you just tossed
out!

Where is the ole' goat, anyway?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 7th 05, 11:36 PM
RST Engineering

No.

Those in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.

{;-)

Jim

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

What is the old bit? Those in glass houses?

Old July 7th 05, 11:42 PM

Gary Drescher wrote:
"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
http://www.boston.com/news/local/con...l_plane_crash/

When this sort of thing happens to experienced pilots (1400 hours,
CP-AS/MEL-IR, Angel Flight volunteer; co-pilot, 540 hours), I wonder if CO
poisoning, or some other impairment, could be responsible.

Does experience make you immune to spatial disorientation? These were
certainly the conditions to produce it, especially for someone from
Phoenix. I'm a newbie and it's quite possible that I have more actual
instrument hours from 3 years of flying in New England than a 1400-hour
pilot from Arizona does.

Maybe his number just came up. I know the FAA calls this a hazardous
attitude (i.e. "resignation") but Ernie Gann said it best, "fate is the
hunter." This is in my mind the real "risk" of flying, that no matter
how hard you try to do things right, there is still that chance that
some day the universe will decide to punch your ticket for no
particular reason. For more information, contact your local
preacher-man.

-cwk.

Old July 8th 05, 02:41 AM
Peter R.

Does experience make you immune to spatial disorientation?

Experience should make an instrument pilot more adept at quickly diagnosing
and then disregarding the confusion brought on by spatial disorientation.

--
Peter

Old July 8th 05, 05:29 AM
Montblack

("Gary Drescher" wrote)
[Bob Moore]
My rant for the day...but back to the subject, if one ascribes to
professionalism, one must carefully weigh each and every word.

In that case, please note that you meant "aspires", not "ascribes". :-)

I'm cool with "ascribes" in this case. Had to look at it a number of times
see if it fit. Yes, I think it fits.

www.dictionary.com (ascribe)
2. To assign as a quality or characteristic: "was quick to ascribe jealousy
to her critics."

I also think "aspires" takes the original thought in a different direction -
one of yearning to someday become professional, as opposed to announcing
you're already there.

With ascribed, you've assigned yourself that quality - professionalism.
You're signed up. You're a subscriber to the requirements it takes to be, or
appear to be, professional.

Montblack
Sent this sucker through three different spell checkers :-)

Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 02:38 PM
Bizzare findings of Flight 93 crash in PA on 9-11 Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Military Aviation 38 April 12th 04 08:10 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 04:34 PM