Oshkosh for a day

Old July 21st 05, 11:28 PM
Nathan Young

Default Oshkosh for a day

If I was going to try to fly to OSH and back for a day this coming
week - what is the best day to attempt?

I know the aircraft parking gets full quickly, and the flying hours
are restricted by the airshow.

Thoughts?
Old July 22nd 05, 12:02 AM
John T

hee...hee..ha.hahahahahaha!!!

Old July 22nd 05, 03:31 AM
skylark71

Nathan

I would definitely avoid the early part of the week (23rd - 27th) when
the field is very full. Later in the week - Friday 29 - Sunday 31 -
would be a good time to come. The field tends to start thinning out
later in the week and you wouldn't have trouble finding a spot.

The last day (31st) might be a good call. You get to see a historic
moment - last flight of SpaceShipOne/ White Knight on their way to the
Smithsonian. Also, there are always some GREAT last day discounts on
offer in the exhibit hangars. I always make big purchases on the last
day and have saves $100s on GPS and parachutes.

Old July 22nd 05, 04:41 AM
Nathan Young

On 21 Jul 2005 19:31:08 -0700, "skylark71" wrote:

Nathan

I would definitely avoid the early part of the week (23rd - 27th) when
the field is very full. Later in the week - Friday 29 - Sunday 31 -
would be a good time to come. The field tends to start thinning out
later in the week and you wouldn't have trouble finding a spot.

The last day (31st) might be a good call. You get to see a historic
moment - last flight of SpaceShipOne/ White Knight on their way to the
Smithsonian. Also, there are always some GREAT last day discounts on
offer in the exhibit hangars. I always make big purchases on the last
day and have saves $100s on GPS and parachutes.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been to OSH many times, but haven't
flown yet. Should be fun.

-Nathan

Old July 22nd 05, 04:42 AM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:02:26 -0500, John T
wrote:

hee...hee..ha.hahahahahaha!!!

Thanks, that's an informative post.

Old July 25th 05, 03:13 AM
Roger

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:28:19 GMT, Nathan Young
wrote:

If I was going to try to fly to OSH and back for a day this coming
week - what is the best day to attempt?

I know the aircraft parking gets full quickly, and the flying hours
are restricted by the airshow.

It sounds like you've not flown in before so if you are already
aquatinted with this please forgive my extra pointers.

Get the NOTAMs for the Visual (RIPON) arrival and memorize them. Then
have them laid out in the airplane where they will be available for
immediate reference. Know the frequencies ahead of time for arrival
and departure. Have them dialed in ahead of time so all you have to do
is punch the buttons when told.

As far as flying the arrival it is no place for a stabilized pattern.
They tell you when to do what and where. Know your plane well enough
that you can slip to land in a relatively short distance , or extend
the final for well over half a mile. You are most likely going to be
flying relatively close to other aircraft. Use ever set of eyes
available, but you have to depend on your own.

As has already been said, late in the week will give you the best
chance and the last day or two will give you the best buys from
"what's left".

"One day" will give you the chance to say you've been there and you'll
be there for the air show, but for much of any thing else you need to
really plan ahead and know specifically what you want to see and know
where to go. With one day you only have time to see a small part.

Your ticket will get you through the Museum (or it used to) which
takes a good two to three hours. Easily three if you take the time to
really look and it is worth doing.

Know what you want to see and do ahead of time. Find out where these
things are located, then organize things so you can hit the spots in
order.

Take *lots* of sun block of a very high SPF and bathe in it. Wear a
hat (something that will protect your ears from sunburn) Wear light
clothing and preferably long sleeves if you can stand them.
Comfortable walking shoes are a must. I always carry a water bottle
with ice cubes in it. If you can, make use of the trams. They'll save
your legs.

BUT, just in case we do have the occasional wet, cold, and windy day
so carry spare *stuff* in the plane.

Departu Have every thing ready to go BY the end of the air show.
Departing VFR is usually a lot faster and easier than IFR. Do not
depart VFR and expect to pick up a clearance any where near Oshkosh.
I think the minimum is 150 miles, but I'm not flying in this year and
they may have changed it.

When you have the plane pulled out and pointed parallel to the rows of
parked aircraft the handlers will show up to help you out. Don't
start the engine until specifically given permission to do so.

Thoughts?

Good Luck and I hope you have fun. It is a real experience.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old July 25th 05, 04:07 AM
Paul Dowgewicz (Remove Caps in Address)

Good advise. Just one clarification...The museum is free with the
AirVenture admission, and it's also free with an EAA membership at any time.

One trick I often use is to park across from the museum and take the bus
to show center. It's easier than the other large lots. The only
problem I encountered was that the busses don't run through the end of
the Theater in the Woods presentations. I learned not to park there,
especially if a huge monsoon that dumps 5" of rain is expected because
it's a long walk, and from that much rain, your stuff won't dry out for
a week. (Voice of experience.)

Roger wrote:
Your ticket will get you through the Museum (or it used to) which
takes a good two to three hours. Easily three if you take the time to
really look and it is worth doing.

Oshkosh in Winter... Jay Honeck Piloting 22 December 27th 04 10:34 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Owning 86 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
Oshkosh 2003 Redux Montblack Piloting 62 August 14th 03 04:29 PM
CQ Oshkosh, CQ Oshkosh Warren & Nancy Home Built 4 July 3rd 03 06:42 PM