New class 2 medical requirements

Old August 23rd 04, 08:10 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default New class 2 medical requirements

My neighbor just failed his class 2 medical. He said he had to do
something where the Dr would shine a pen light at him and he had to
line up some lines. The Dr wasn't able to describe what he was testing
but said it was new. I use a different AME but I don't remember doing
that 10 months ago when I did my class 2 medical. Is this new? Its a
huge problem for my friend since he's now grounded waiting for tests
to come back. The AME said he'll probably get approval but it will
take time, a lot of time. I've already had my friend grab an AOPA
memebership.

Has anyone here heard about this test and know what its for?
-Robert
Old August 23rd 04, 10:41 PM
tom418

Your neighbor might want to try another AME. Sometimes, depending on the
equipment they use , the results might vary slightly.
I'm not an O.D., but I think you're talking about a test for esophoria, or
biofovial fixation? . Back in 1972, when I was going for my Commericial
certificate, my AME told me that I was virtually finished . He then issued
another Class 3 Medical. A few weeks later, I tried another AME (a retired
regional flight surgeon), with quite different results. I've since passed
39 First Class medical exams.

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
(Robert M. Gary) writes:

My neighbor just failed his class 2 medical. He said he had to do
something where the Dr would shine a pen light at him and he had to
line up some lines. The Dr wasn't able to describe what he was testing
but said it was new. I use a different AME but I don't remember doing
that 10 months ago when I did my class 2 medical. Is this new? Its a
huge problem for my friend since he's now grounded waiting for tests
to come back. The AME said he'll probably get approval but it will
take time, a lot of time. I've already had my friend grab an AOPA
memebership.

Has anyone here heard about this test and know what its for?

I wonder if this is similar to a test my AME has been using for a
while, where you can tell where a line intersects a scale only if
you can see out of both eyes at the same time. I've had this test
administered on every medical since I started using him, almost ten
years ago.

-jav