Considerations for joining flying club

Old September 15th 04, 11:57 AM
Dylan Smith

In article ne.com, Andrew
Gideon wrote:
Michael wrote:

The result is that when you want
to do something fun and challenging, you find it's against club rules.

Can you provide an example of something fun and challenging that is against
some club's rule? That seems rather against the idea of a club (as opposed
to an FBO).

I think it pretty much depends on the club. The last one I was in (Bay
Area Aero Club in Houston) had much less restrictive rules than a
typical FBO. For airfields, it just had to be marked on a chart as an
airfield - it was up to the PIC to determine whether it was safe to take
the plane there. Currency requirements were slightly stricter (due to
insurance) than what was set in the FARs.

Funnily enough, we had a much LOWER accident rate than all the nearby
FBOs.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old September 15th 04, 02:16 PM
Michael

Andrew Gideon wrote
Can you provide an example of something fun and challenging that is against
some club's rule? That seems rather against the idea of a club (as opposed
to an FBO).

I was only a member of a glider (as opposed to power) club, but maybe
this will help.

We had several aerobatic gliders. Aerobatics weren't actually
prohibited in club gliders, but you needed to get a checkout from the
designated aerobatic instructor. Except there wasn't one. We had
plenty of instructors who were aerobatic-capable, but the club
wouldn't designate any of them. If you wanted to do acro, you bought
your own glider and figured it out on your own.

We had a couple of gliders that were reasonably capable of
cross-country flight (yes, gliders do this). It wasn't actually
forbidden to go XC, but there were certain requirements you had to
meet - and nobody had managed to meet them in years. If you wanted to
go XC, you bought your own glider and figured it out on your own.

We had a rule about landing short of a line someone marked on the
field. How this amateur-defined displaced threshold was actually
chosen was never adequately explained, but it required that I throw
away hundreds of feet of usable runway and made it impossible to
practice steep approaches over an obstacle. If you landed short of
the line, you had to fly with an instructor. I think that eventually
went away.

For a while, if you were a private pilot you couldn't fly from the
back seat. Too dangerous (tell that to all the people who soloed in
Cubs). You had to get your commercial. The local DE (also a club
member) got ****ed about this, and started requiring that the
commercial be flown from the back seat. In a glider, it's really the
way to go anyway if you want to give someone a good ride. So the club
changed a little - if you wanted to fly from the back seat as a
private pilot you needed a separate back seat checkout for every make
and model, renewed every year.

We bought a new glider that is used, worldwide, as an early solo
glider (Blanik L-33). The insurance company was fine with anyone
flying it with a CFI checkout, but the club decided you had to have 40
hours in gliders to fly it. There was no reduction in premium for
this.

Those are my personal experiences. I eventually left the club - not
only for those reasons (I did eventually buy my own glider and go XC,
and I wound up doing acro in my girlfriend's 'Duster) but because when
a club makes rules this way, it's a sign that other things are wrong.
And they were.

Now let's talk about some other clubs.

Not too long ago, we had someone posting here about a club that had a
10 kt Xwind limit. Amazingly, some people were trying to justify that
as a reasonable rule.

I know a club that prohibits retracts on grass. Despite what the
inexperienced among you might think, that is NOT reasonable. I land a
Twin Comanche on grass routinely. The key is being able to
competently evaluate a grass surface for suitability.

I know another that requires 3000 ft of runway for all planes. Again
- this is NOT reasonable. I've comfortably landed a twin on less.

I know a club that prohibits night flight without an instrument
rating. I had well over 100 hours at night before I got an instrument
rating.

Of course I know FBO's that do this too. Here's the difference - with
an FBO, you have no real investment. With a club, you do - so it
makes sense to do more homework in advance.

Michael
Old September 15th 04, 02:27 PM
Dave Butler

Marty Ross wrote:
I'm considering joining a flying club this week. This one's the closest
club to where I live, the members, the planes, and the online scheduling
system seem to be great, and I think I'm ready to make the commitment (e.g.,
buy a share in the fleet).

Enjoyed reading all the responses to this, and I think mostly they are on the mark.

I'd add that based on my experience in two different clubs, the scheduling rules
about number of weekend overnights, etc. are pretty restrictive on the books,
but the actual enforcement of those rules is flexible. I've just pointed out
that I wanted to schedule a plane at a time that was beyond my quota, and asked
for special permission. It's never been refused. It seems the rules are there to
protect the club if they want to enforce them, but in individual cases they will
bend the rules in the best interest of all concerned.

Dave

Old September 15th 04, 02:43 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Dave Butler said:
for special permission. It's never been refused. It seems the rules are
there to protect the club if they want to enforce them, but in individual
cases they will bend the rules in the best interest of all concerned.

In some cases, these sorts of restrictions were designed to "get" one
egregious offender to stop being an asshole. For instance, our club had a
guy who used to book our Lance, our biggest and most capable cross country
plane, for two week chunks, and then not fly at all or only fly it for one
day out of that whole chunk. So we put in a rule that if, half a hour
after the booking started that if the plane was still on the field,
somebody else could cancel your booking and take it himself if they made a
reasonable attempt to contact the person with the booking. So this guy
continued to make these two week bookings, but a few hours before the
booking was to start, he'd cancel the first day of it only. Then the next
day he'd cancel the next day. And so on until the entire two weeks had
gone by, and he hadn't flown it anywhere but he'd effectively prevented
anybody else from using it for more than day trips. So we contemplated
making a new rule to try and prevent that, but instead we finally wised up
and just kicked the ******* out of the club. We still have planes booked
that don't fly, but far less often.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I don't have a sense of humour, merely an over-exaggerated sense
Old September 15th 04, 07:16 PM
David Cartwright

"Marty Shapiro" wrote in message
The nearest airport to where I live has a paved runway 2,443' long. There
are several clubs at this airport. A few years ago, I was considering
joining one of these clubs and went around to them to review their
membership requirements and rules. Just about all of them had a rule that
members were only allowed to land at paved runways a minimum of 3,000'
long.

Blimey. I had to land on one that was only 2,000 feet long on my qualifying
cross-country (a =150nm solo XC exercise that students undertake at around
35 hours into the course, involving landing at a total of three airfields
including your own). It was dead easy, too.

At my home airfield, the runway is about 6,000 feet long, but it's rare that
you use more than the first 1500 or so in our club PA-28 unless you do it
without flaps or you're hurtling in too fast. Though a 737 I was on as a
passenger nearly overshot once :-)

Old September 15th 04, 10:27 PM
Michael

Roy Smith wrote
In general, I would expect a club to have less restrictive rules than an
FBO

Let's just say this has not been my experience. Maybe that's why
there are not many clubs in my area (and none on my field). I think
clubs tend to form when the local FBO's get obnoxious.

Nobody wants other club members to
be reckless with the airplanes, and it is inevitable that within any
group of people, there will be different opinions on where "fun and
challenging" leaves off and "reckless" begins.

Of course the ones who think it's reckless are wrong

I'm actually about 99% serious about this. 99% of the time, when
someone says "that's reckless" what he really means is "I couldn't
pull this off consistently AND I don't want you to do it."

Here's what makes a club worse. At an FBO, one guy is boss. He has
his hot buttons, and those become rules. At a club, these things are
done by committee. There is compromise. Unfortunately, the
compromise usually turns out to be "I'll vote for your hot-button
rules if you vote for mine." That's how formation flights,
acrobatics, and such get banned.

You would think that there would be a healthy push back from the
people who don't like making rules, but they're usually not there at
the board meeting. They're too busy flying formation, doing acro,
etc.

My club used to have no rule about grass at all. A few years back,
somebody brought our Arrow back covered with grass stains. A discussion
ensued, and we ended up passing a rule forbidding landing any of our
retracts on a non-paved runway. Oddly enough, we don't require any
special checkout for grass.

See, this is exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about. Grass
stains? My god - do you really think tall grass is rougher on the
airplane than concrete dust? I pretty routinely operate my Twin
Comanche off grass. I know guys who base Barons and C-310's off
grass. An Arrow on grass is a non-event.

On the other hand, there ARE things to know about landing on grass.
Most of it has nothing to do with the actual takeoff and landing - dry
grass in good condition requires no special technique. But there is a
lot to know about asessing the quality of a grass surface before you
land on it, deciding when to abort a takeoff, etc. Given how pathetic
the FAA requirements are in this area, a special checkout would make
sense. Preferably from someone who has plenty of experience landing
fast, heavy, retractable gear airplanes on unpaved strips.

Most rules come about because at one time in the past, somebody did
something which other people considered unacceptable and they wanted to
try and prevent it from happening again. Congress does this, the FAA
does this, FBO's do it, and there's no reason to be surprised when clubs
do it too. It's the way life works.

Yup. Only at an FBO, it has to be something the owner found
unacceptable. The FAA is slow and bureaucratic - one incident is
rarely enough to make anything happen. Ditto Congress. Clubs,
unfortunately, tend to combine the worst of all worlds.

I would certainly urge anybody who is thinking of joining a club to read
all the rules carefully before joining.

As well as find out how difficult it is to make rules, and what people
in the club do. For example, if people routinely fly formation, it's
not likely that it will be forbidden. On the other hand, if you do it
and start doing it, the club weenies may well decide to forbid it - or
to make everyone get FAST cards, which is about the same.

Michael
Old September 16th 04, 10:54 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Michael wrote:
As well as find out how difficult it is to make rules, and what people
in the club do.

This probably explains the lack of silly rules in the BAAC - a change to
the bylaws required a vote *by the whole membership*, not just the
board.
The other thing about the club is it didn't own the aircraft (and
therefore the initiation fee and membership dues were very low), it
leased them back (the owner set the dry rate and organized maintenance -
the club didn't skim a single penny off the owner's rate so it was
perfectly possible for an owner to make their plane pay, but our rates
still be $10/hr cheaper than the FBO on the field). Occasionally, owners
would have some stipulations about their aircraft, but generally these
were checkout requirements (such as the Bonanza owner wanted 5 hours in
type - additionally, the insurance required you have 10 hours in type
before taking passengers, and the owner was quite happy for you to go
from 5-10 hours solo).

Overall, I think this structure of club worked well. We only kicked one
member out in the 20 years the club has been around.

The whole 3000' runway is asinine whether it comes from an FBO or a
club, especially applied to planes like C172s which can be landed and
stopped *with no short field techniques at all* and without even using
the brakes in half that distance. Any newly minted PPL should be able to
land and stop on a 3000' runway in a C172 or Cherokee without using the
brakes. It's a good job that clubs etc. don't try that rule here as most
GA fields in the British Isles are grass and under 3000'!