Local Rigger doesn't want to repack my chute

Old February 19th 05, 11:42 PM
Doug Snyder

Default Local Rigger doesn't want to repack my chute

The local parachute packer doesn't want to repack my chute. He will in
fact do so but isn't happy about it. My chute is about 2-3 years old.
It was included when I bought the glider.

The objection is that the chute is a Strong. He says he has to pack it
"upside down". Apparently it's a pain in the a**.

Is this attitude toward Strong chutes common? I can certainly sell it
and get something different, but why? I figure the thing is good for
many years to come. On the other hand, if it's a hassle to get repacked
and I have to wait longer than everyone else... maybe I should cut my
losses.

What's the experince of RAS ?

Doug

Old February 19th 05, 11:52 PM

I've owned a Strong for many years and never heard this complaint. In
fact, the riggers are all smiles when I write the checks.

OC

Old February 20th 05, 02:01 AM
Nyal Williams

At 00:00 20 February 2005, Doug Snyder wrote:
The local parachute packer doesn't want to repack my
chute. He will in
fact do so but isn't happy about it. My chute is about
2-3 years old.
It was included when I bought the glider.

The objection is that the chute is a Strong. He says
he has to pack it
'upside down'. Apparently it's a pain in the a**.

Is this attitude toward Strong chutes common? I can
certainly sell it
and get something different, but why? I figure the
thing is good for
many years to come. On the other hand, if it's a hassle
to get repacked
and I have to wait longer than everyone else... maybe
I should cut my
losses.

What's the experince of RAS ?

Doug

What does it mean to pack it 'upside down?' Can we
get an explanation and an opinion from a different
rigger?

Old February 20th 05, 02:17 AM
Bill Zaleski

On 20 Feb 2005 02:01:09 GMT, Nyal Williams
wrote:

[...]

There is nothing magic about packing a Strong rig, whether it is a
seat or back model. The rigger is either a newbie, or has some other
agenda. Ted Strong is a icon in the industry, has great gear, and the
packing methods are totally logical, available, and a natural
operation to a knowlegable, competent rigger.

Bill Zaleski
FAA Master Parachute Rigger

Old February 20th 05, 02:37 AM
HL Falbaum

I've had a Strong 303 for about 10 years---never a repack complaint! The
riggers have charged $5 more because it is more "complicated"(???). On the
other hand, I am told it opens faster than others. So far, mine has just
been an expensive, but very comforting, cushion.

--
Hartley Falbaum
ASW27B "KF" USA

ups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 05:38 PM

I have my Strong repacked at the beginning of every season @ Lake
Elsinore, never a problem & costs $50.

Old February 21st 05, 06:38 AM
Bob C

The Strong external pilot chute opens fast, but requires
a different packing technique than some sport reserves.
It's not harder, just different. A good rigger shouldn't
have any problem with it. If your guy can't handle
it, I'd say get a new rigger. He's either a newbie,
or just lazy. Strong actually makes the canopies for
several other brands. Their products are second to
none. I own four of them. Never had a problem.

Bob C.

Old February 21st 05, 07:41 PM

If that rigger is not going to pack it for you send it to me. I will
pack it without any problems. The LoPo 26' canopy used by Strong is in
production for over 30 years. They have made over 10000 of them without
single failure or AD. Now, that's a record worth talking about. And if
a rigger is not packing it because he cannot follow directions in the
parachute manual...well, maybe he should not be rigging at all.

Old February 21st 05, 08:36 PM
chipsoars

My Strong is repacked on schedule with Rigging Adventures at Cross Keys
in NJ. Affliated with FreeFall Adventures and a very large Strong
customer. I think my last pack was ~$45. If it were me, I'd like to
believe my packer was confident and capable. I don't get that sense
with yours.

Chip F.

Old February 21st 05, 10:13 PM
Doug Snyder

I think I need to clarify.

As far as I know this is a competent rigger. He is not a newbie and has
been packing chutes in this area for some period of time. He has the
full conficence of the glider pilots I know.

He does grumble about packing Strong chutes.

I was just wondering if there is a widespread perception that Strong
chutes are somehow difficult to pack. Based on my reading of the
doesn't seem to be much indication that they are more difficult to
pack.

I've learned from RAS that it's important to choose words carefully.
Any suggestion that the rigger in question is incompetent is merely my
failure to do so.

Doug