Cessna 152 Rudder trim adjustment?

Old April 29th 05, 02:28 PM
GEG

Default Cessna 152 Rudder trim adjustment?

Hi Folks,

I'm a low-time (10 hour) student pilot.
I took my first flights in my school's 152 about 2 years ago, then had
an 18-month wait for various reasons.

When I first flew the plane, I don't remember the right rudder being
such an issue (I flew 3 times 2 years ago).

Now, the right rudder needs a lot of attention, almost all the time.
Even in straight and level at cruise, some right rudder needs to be in.

So, before a know-nothing student says something to the instructor, I
wanted to give a shout to you guys and see what your thoughts
might be.

I understand the 152 has more need for right rudder than other planes.
Have others had this experience?
What should I look for?
What should I say - if anything?

I know it's not "no rudder needed", maybe I'm just not a very good pilot
yet.

Thanks,

Gary
Old April 29th 05, 02:35 PM
Jose

Now, the right rudder needs a lot of attention, almost all the time.
Even in straight and level at cruise, some right rudder needs to be in.

Have an instructor fly the plane - it may well be that the rudder trim
tab needs adjustment (there's a little tab at the end of the rudder
which can be bent one way or the other - it's like permanent rudder
trim). Don't bend it yourself - have someone who knows take care of it.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 29th 05, 02:57 PM
GEG

That's exactly what I'm talking about . . yes.
The instructors (a couple) fly the plane very day.
For me, it seems like that question should be asked.
Of course, I have an engineering background, and maybe
again, I'm just being lazy or alarmist.

I'll ask - what the heck.

Gary
Old April 29th 05, 04:03 PM
Guillermo

"GEG" wrote in message
That's exactly what I'm talking about . . yes.
The instructors (a couple) fly the plane very day.
For me, it seems like that question should be asked.
Of course, I have an engineering background, and maybe
again, I'm just being lazy or alarmist.

I'll ask - what the heck.

I'd say if you need right rudder even in cruise, then definitely the trim
tab needs to be readjusted. And I agree that you should let somebody who
knows how to do it handle it.
I never needed a lot of right rudder in the cessna 152 (I did all my private
training on one of those). Now, sometimes that spoils you.Now that I'm
training in a C172RG for commercial, you REALLY need a lot of right rudder
in several ocassions, and I find out that I don't do it as much beacuse I
was used to not use a lot of rudder in the 152.

Old April 29th 05, 04:10 PM
Dave Butler

GEG wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm a low-time (10 hour) student pilot.
I took my first flights in my school's 152 about 2 years ago, then had
an 18-month wait for various reasons.

When I first flew the plane, I don't remember the right rudder being
such an issue (I flew 3 times 2 years ago).

Now, the right rudder needs a lot of attention, almost all the time.
Even in straight and level at cruise, some right rudder needs to be in.

No rudder pressure should be required in cruise.

So, before a know-nothing student says something to the instructor, I
wanted to give a shout to you guys and see what your thoughts
might be.

I understand the 152 has more need for right rudder than other planes.

Actually, I would think the 150/152 would require about as little right rudder
pressure as any aircraft during climb. Been a long time since I've been in one,
but I remember transitioning to higher powered aircraft and discovering that I
then had to learn how to apply more rudder pressure during climb.

Have others had this experience?
What should I look for?

There's a bendable trim tab on the control surface itself. It's vulnerable to
being accidentally bent incorrectly.

Be open to the possibility that the turn and bank indicator is not installed
level in the panel.

What should I say - if anything?

Just report your observations, just as you have here. Have someone else confirm
your observations, if possible. Expect that your observations might be dismissed
due to your low time. You may have to be persistent.

I know it's not "no rudder needed", maybe I'm just not a very good pilot
yet.

No rudder pressure should be required to keep the ball centered in cruise.
Old April 29th 05, 04:39 PM
Brian Colwell

"GEG" wrote in message
[...]

Not sure why you wouldn't talk to your instructor ...thats what he is there
for !!

Regards, BMC

Old April 29th 05, 07:37 PM
Gord Beaman

Dave Butler wrote:

snip

Just report your observations, just as you have here. Have someone else confirm
your observations, if possible. Expect that your observations might be dismissed
due to your low time. You may have to be persistent.

It might seem unfair but it's called 'Paying your dues'...we must
all do it sometime...

--

--Gord
(use gordon in email)

"Without detonation, your car won't
move. That's what makes engines go".

"In my car, the high octane fuel detonates
better than the lower octane grades.
Fortunately for me, it doesn't PREVENT DETONATION".

-Burnore.

Yes, Detonation is a normal condition and
it occurs every time you have ignition,

-Josh

Old April 29th 05, 11:58 PM
Bob

A little trick I used to use while instructing was to intentionally add
a little left rudder until the student got used to both looking at the
TC and to get in the habit of keeping everything coordinated (this
worked a little better when I was MEIing). This may be what your
instructor was doing.
That or the trim tab needs some tweaking.

Old April 30th 05, 12:03 AM
Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:28:20 -0400, GEG
wrote:

[...]

Are you a very, very heavy student pilot?

If not, the 152 should fly reasonably straight boots off the pedals.
You do have equal tank loads, I expect?

Brian W