High Blood Pressure

Old March 27th 05, 05:06 AM
Jay Honeck

What I constantly see is a situation where it's 95% diet and 5%
hereditary -
and yet all of the 95% think they belong to the 5% - ie "it's not my
fault -
and nothing can be done about it"

Well, we're gonna have a serious go at discerning the difference. Day One
of my new diet is complete -- lots of fruit and vegetables, very little
salt, no red meat. I feel positively *burp* fruity...

I'm going to forego taking the meds for now, and go to my follow-up doctor's
visit in a month. We'll see if the BP is any different.

If it's not, after a serious month of dieting, I'll quietly take my
medicine, dammit.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 05, 09:17 AM
Montblack

("George Patterson" wrote)
Those studies obviously didn't involve my cats. MEERCAT, STOP THAT!!!!!!

There are any number of lines...

Montblack :-)
Old March 27th 05, 09:50 AM

In addition to the diet, exercise, and meds discussed in this thread,
I've always been curious whether there is any incremental benefit from
devices like these?:

www.cardiogrip.net
http://www.intercure.com/products.asp

Old March 27th 05, 02:08 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 02:31:36 GMT, George Patterson
wrote in ::

MEERCAT

You keep these? http://www.oaklandzoo.org/atoz/azmeerkat.html
Old March 27th 05, 05:57 PM
George Patterson

wrote in ::

MEERCAT

You keep these? http://www.oaklandzoo.org/atoz/azmeerkat.html

Nope. My stepson had just seen some of those at the Philly zoo when Elisabeth
found a kitten in a culvert - hence the name. We have a total of six cats, all
of which were strays. We also get to yell at our coonhound sometimes (the
neighbors are used to hearing "G*dammitt Ruby" at odd hours). Our conures yell
at us.

None of which leads us to believe reports that keeping pets reduces blood
pressure. Unless the pets are fish.

George Patterson
Drink up, Socrates -- it's all-natural.
Old March 27th 05, 06:55 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

What I constantly see is a situation where it's 95% diet and 5%
hereditary -
and yet all of the 95% think they belong to the 5% - ie "it's not my
fault -
and nothing can be done about it"

Well, we're gonna have a serious go at discerning the difference. Day One
of my new diet is complete -- lots of fruit and vegetables, very little
salt, no red meat. I feel positively *burp* fruity...

I'm going to forego taking the meds for now, and go to my follow-up doctor's
visit in a month. We'll see if the BP is any different.

If it's not, after a serious month of dieting, I'll quietly take my
medicine, dammit.

I hope it works for you. It didn't for me. The good news is that the
ACE meds are very effective and, for me, have had no side affects, not
even the cough often mentioned.

Matt
Old March 28th 05, 06:21 PM
Corky Scott

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:30:38 GMT, jsmith wrote:

I have a dog.
Some studies have shown that pets help reduce one's BP

I'm not positive but I think studies have shown that it's not so much
having the dog that makes the difference, it's the excersize you get
walking it...

Although petting your adoring dog might have some palliative effect.

Corky Scott

Old March 28th 05, 08:00 PM
Jay Masino

Corky Scott wrote:
I have a dog.
Some studies have shown that pets help reduce one's BP

I'm not positive but I think studies have shown that it's not so much
having the dog that makes the difference, it's the excersize you get
walking it...

I think the same "relaxation" effect can be obtained with other types of
pets (like cats), too, so I don't think they were refering to walking it.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old March 29th 05, 01:40 PM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:21:38 -0500, Corky Scott
wrote:

Although petting your adoring dog might have some palliative effect.

I detest dogs, for the most part. Cats the same. I used to say: "Men
and their dogs! Women and their cats!"

Then a year ago, Sally bought two Maine Coon Cat kittens. One of them
is just a plan dumb feline, or smart feline, but anyhow the sort of
critter you'd kick out of your way if you were sure your wife would
never know about it.

But the other is the most endearing animal I've ever met. I just enjoy
having him around. I'm a bit shy to say it, but we like to butt heads.
I will also pick him up, inverted, and he will box my face with his
claws tucked in.

This is the first time I've experienced what others seem to get from
pets, and I must say that to the extent that being overtly happy will
translate to a longer life, then pets are a good thing. (Unless
they're the kind you want to kick Harry Potter (such is his name)
makes me happy.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum: