Zenith Aircraft - group or support

Old January 12th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
steveukman

Default Zenith Aircraft - group or support

I am in about to start my second construction project and have
narrowed it down to two candidates.

One was the Zodiac XL. I have emailed specific questions I had about
the FWF components and engine choice so that I can try and estimate
the total cost of the project (both $$s and skills). Questions were
posted both via their website and by emails to advertised addresses.
So far the response has been nothing.

Are there any groups or fora for Zodiac builders that I could join.
The ones my search hit seemed to have little activity.

What is the group's experience of support once they have purchased?
This lack of responsiveness to win business is a red flag to me and it
seems at odds with the upbeat description of the designs.

Can anybody share experiences, help identify resources - I'd hate to
drop this option through just bad first impressions.
If there are any builder/owners in the Lake County IL area we would
love to be able to see an example.
Many Thanks
Steve
Old January 12th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"steveukman" wrote in message
Can anybody share experiences, help identify resources - ...we would
love to be able to see an example.

You may need to travel a bit, but there are at least a few Zodiacs on rental
flight lines around the country. Given the size of the investment you are
considering, I would think that a few hundred dollars to actually check out in
the airplane you are considering would be money well spent. In the business
world they call that "Due Diligence".

How about a quick Florida vacation? There is a nice Zodiac at Palm Beach
Flight Training in Lantana.

Vaughn

Old January 12th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

steveukman wrote:
Are there any groups or fora for Zodiac builders that I could join.
The ones my search hit seemed to have little activity.

Assuming you haven't already come across it, there is an e-mail list hosted
by Matronics:

http://forums.matronics.com/
Old January 12th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Jan 12, 9:02*am, steveukman wrote:
[...]

Matronics list is by far the most used info exchange site. Hard to
believe Zenith has not responded to your inquiry. They are great
people to do business with. YMMV

Ben. N801BH
Zenith builder
www.haaspowerair.com
Old January 13th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

[...]

They say that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I have never
personally liked the Zodiak--mostly because of the obvious buble shape of
the canopy.

Nevertheless, if I was about the start building tomorrow, it would have to
be on my short list--simply because it appears to be an engineering "tour de
force" and can offer a good combination of usefull load and performance.
Here is the link to the specifications page, which also provides a link to
the performance page for the various engines:
http://www.zenithair.com/zodiac/xl/specification.html The "new" Continental
O-200 is not shown, but can be easily estimated.

The Light Sport Expo is comming up this week in Sebring Florida, and you
might be well advised to attend if you are serious about this project.

Peter

Old January 14th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

steveukman wrote:
[...]

I'm very surprised they haven't responded, though you didn't mention how
long ago you e-mailed them. I have not had a single problem with their
support though I rarely use e-mail to contact them. I've found it easier
to call if it is during business hours and if it isn't I usually have an
answer before the next business day via the Zenith forum at
Matronics.com which is by far the best source of information on the
day-to-day building of any of the Zenith line.

This link will take you straight there.
http://forums.matronics.com/viewforum.php?f=2