Questions pondered at 6500 feet

Old January 16th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Questions pondered at 6500 feet

Jay Honeck wrote:
1. Airports were originally huge grass fields that allowed arrivals and
departures in any direction, on any heading. Are there any airports left
that provide 360 degrees of access?

I picked up a friend at Grosse Ile (ONZ) the other day. It's at the
southern end of an island (obviously?) where the Detroit River empties
into Lake Erie. Oh, here's a link:

http://www.grosseileairport.com/

That big circle in the middle is a PAVED 3000ft circular landing area.
It's also obvious that this airport was also a seaplane port.

No, it's no longer usable, but it's a cool bit of local history that
you can look at when you're in the pattern.

Old January 16th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Old January 16th 06, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:03:05 -0600, Rachel wrote:

There are a few in southern Indiana, I think. I couldn't remember the
names to save my life, but I remember flying over one.

Do they have a windsock in the center?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old January 16th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Since we haven't heard the airliner SAY they wanted an instrument
approach, how/why does the controller know to clear them for anything
other than the visual approach?

Use of an instrument approach simplifies establishing an arrival sequence.

So this choice is entirely up to the controller?

Seems like a giant pain for the flight crew, to have to keep all the various
approach plates, etc., at hand. (I'm assuming the commuter airlines we
usually hear don't have the sophisticated flight controllers on-board, with
all the pre-loaded approaches ready to be punched in at a moment's notice?)

You can request a visual approach, or a contact approach or a different
published approach if you wish.

Matt
Old January 16th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay:

Have you been to the restaurants at Madison or Lone Rock? The food is
arguably better than Janesville. (Still a lot of greasy fried stuff)

JN

Old January 16th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay

It sounds to me that the pilot has filedIFR to the destination airport, and
somewhere enroute has asked for or accepted the instrument approach when the
alternative was offer up by ATC.

Bill Snow

ps; We missed IOW on the way to DEN. We'll have to catch you next time.

Old January 16th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
Jay:

Have you been to the restaurants at Madison or Lone Rock? The food is
arguably better than Janesville. (Still a lot of greasy fried stuff)

JN

Also Watertown, Reedsburg, Palmyria, Prairie du Chien, Lake Lawn, Grand
Geneva, American club at Sheboygan, Baraboo and several others.

Old January 16th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
1. Airports were originally huge grass fields that allowed arrivals and
departures in any direction, on any heading. Are there any airports left
that provide 360 degrees of access?

I believe Lakehurst, NJ still has the circular field where the
Hindenburg disaster happened. I used to see it out the right side of
scheduled airliners on the way from DCA to BOS just before going over NYC.

The question I have about this installation is what are the converging
sets of lines around it. IIRC there are 3 sets of 4 lines pointing
into the center of the circle.
Old January 16th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

That big circle in the middle is a PAVED 3000ft circular landing area.
It's also obvious that this airport was also a seaplane port.

Wow -- they PAVED all that? That's amazing.

I'd never heard of such a thing -- thanks, Brien!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 16th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Have you been to the restaurants at Madison or Lone Rock? The food is
arguably better than Janesville. (Still a lot of greasy fried stuff)

Sure! We go to Lone Rock at least once a month.

I haven't been to Madison in over ten years. The restaurant was pretty lame
when I was there, last -- I take it they've improved?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA