ASW-19 Maximum Weight

Old October 24th 18, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ouroboros

Default ASW-19 Maximum Weight

I emailed Schliecher about this. Here's the response I received:

"Here are a few short suggestions. The payload of the ASW 19 is 75-115 KG. The weight of the non-lifting parts must not exceed 225 KG.
The maximum take-off weight of 408 kg must not be exceeded with or without water.
Greetings from Poppenhausen"

Sounds to me like they don't know anything about 805 pounds either. In the end, we will probably pass on ASW-19s. 805 pounds limits the maximum pilot weight of them too much and I don't want to risk having to convince someone to willfully ignore the TCDS while doing a weight and balance.

That said, anyone know of a good Discus B for sale in the Western US?
Old October 24th 18, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Is it just me? I must say, in my 36 years as a pilot, I've never searched for the TCDS on any aircraft or rotorcraft I've flown in order to do a W&B calculation. Until the proliferation of the internet, it was nearly impossible to find a TCDS to reference.

The Operating Manual has the weight limits spelled out and includes a W&B diagram for reference. If the FAA decided to make an issue of it, they'd have to challenge themselves for not requiring an Operation Manual change notice to account for the difference between the ops manual and their paperwork..

Get a fresh weighing, don't exceed the manual limits, and have a blast flying the ASW-19.

Paul A.
ASW-19 #193

Old October 24th 18, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ouroboros

Funnily enough, the weight and balance was done in 1994, using 805 pounds, by the same person who pointed us to the TCDS recently. I'm not sure where he got the TCDS back then. It was a little before my time. I know the internet was quite widespread at that point, but I can't imagine the FAA had them all up and available that quickly.
Old October 25th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Given that 408 kg is pretty close to 895 pounds, I would support the earlier suggestion of a typo.

Mike
Old October 29th 18, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

You guys are beating this up too much! I fly an ASW 19 and weigh 225 pounds (not sure what that is in kilos 100ish?). Anyway I strap a parachute to my ass and go flying. The airplane seems to be fine with it. The trim is mid point.