Flight Instruction: Then and Now

Old March 9th 04, 10:29 PM
BUFDRVR

Not trying to be argumentative, but just finished talking to my next
door neighbor who completed his check ride today. He finished only his
BMC and still has another 2-3 months of training with the 34th before
they will consider him CMR. I lived this problem for a year as one of
the maintenance officers for the 9th. It was an absolute fight to
provide enough sorties to keep the overmanned copilots from regressing.
Throw in upgrades it was tough. Even when we had the highest ever FMC
rate for the Bone.

Big of the problem was that our FTU got so backed up that we had to cut
down the syllabus and fly weekends to get caught up. All this did was
to push the problem on to the combat squadrons.

Cheers,
Michael Kelly, Bone Maintainer

Hmm, I'll take your word for it, but I know that at one point (IIRC around
2000) the Bone FTU was graduating FMC crews, it was the reason why the BUFF FTU
had to begin doing it. Maybe the cut back in syllabus was the reason they
stopped doing it? Wonder if the BUFF FTU could get away with the same excuse?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 10th 04, 02:18 AM
Thomas Schoene

Howard Berkowitz wrote:

Come to think of it, didn't the Argentinians use S-2's for maritime
surveillance and possibly targeting in the Falklands campaign? ISTR
their carrier had them as well as A-4's.

Yes. They appear to have had a track on the British carriers but lost it
before they could get organized for a strike (possibly compounded by weather
conditions; acounts are very confused and I haven't yet straightened it out
to my satisfaction.)

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872