*White* Helicopters??!!!

Old March 8th 04, 11:03 PM
Alan Minyard

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:50:14 -0500, Stephen Harding wrote:

Russian *White* helicopters, the analog to our ubiquitous,
yet never confirmed "black helicopters"?

A couple days ago the news mentioned Russians rescuing some
Russian (??) scientists at an Antarctic station. I think
the ice had broken loose from the continent.

Some video of the rescue showed the helicopters to be white
in color! I thought to myself that this is a rather
unusual color scheme for arctic work, where orange is more
typically applied.

Knowing the Russian penchant for secrecy and varying degrees
of paranoia, is this an actual official color scheme for an
arctic based chopper, or one dragged up for other purposes
being locally used?

Perhaps white helicopters from the former Nazi secret Antarctic
submarine base??!!!

SMH

I recently saw a photograph of some abandoned helos at Chernobyl
and they were white also. They did not appear to be "cocooned", as
numerous other vehicles in the shot are of different colors.

FW IW

Al Minyard
Old March 9th 04, 04:12 AM
David E. Powell

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"David Windhorst" wrote in message

Chad Irby wrote:

Not to mention the pink ones (pink camouflage works quite well in many
situations).

I'm almost afraid to ask... ;)

Pink is a pretty good shade for desert camouflage. IIRC, shades

approaching
pink were even included in the UD desert BDU pattern (the one that
immediately followed the "chocolate chip" pattern).

Brooks

Also, pink or pinkish-orange shades were part of the mottling in some old
Soviet camo patterns for aircraft.

As for white choppers used in the Arctic, white is a good camo color there,
and they also could have been commandeered from another place or civilian
service. If one was going to make a modern "white helicopter" camoflage
pattern, I would suppose whitish LCD panels might be possible for daytime
use, capable of being shifted to gray or black for night.

DEP

Old March 9th 04, 04:13 AM
David E. Powell

"Errol Cavit" wrote in message
om...
Stephen Harding wrote in message

Russian *White* helicopters, the analog to our ubiquitous,
yet never confirmed "black helicopters"?

A couple days ago the news mentioned Russians rescuing some
Russian (??) scientists at an Antarctic station. I think
the ice had broken loose from the continent.

Some video of the rescue showed the helicopters to be white
in color! I thought to myself that this is a rather
unusual color scheme for arctic work, where orange is more
typically applied.

The RNZAF used to have a detachment of 4 Hueys in East Timor as part
of the UN mission. Normally UN choppers are white (with a big "UN" on
the side), but due to the constant cycling of individual machines
through the detachment and the costs of repainting them, we were only
required to keep two deployed choppers in the 'right' colours. However
occasionally a white chopper (with the "UN" painted over) would be
used within NZ. Year before last an early snowstorm saw our Hueys
being used to distribute feed to stock in the snow-covered high
country - including at least one white one seen on TV.

So maybe the unit they came from has been on UN (or maybe NATO in
Kosovo?) duties somewhere, and not repainted?

Very good point. If there is no need to repaint a unit's choppers, might as
well let it go. Certainly the crews in question deserve a well done either
way.

Cheers, Errol Cavit
"You should never bet against anything in science at odds of more than
about 10^12 to 1." Attributed to Ernest Rutherford.

Old March 9th 04, 07:03 PM
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 14:00:26 -0500, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

[snip]
Pink is a pretty good shade for desert camouflage. IIRC, shades approaching
pink were even included in the UD desert BDU pattern (the one that
immediately followed the "chocolate chip" pattern).

And don't forget the "Pink Panthers" from Gulf War '91 ;-)

--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu
Contact details : http://www.metalvortex.com/form/form.htm

"It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice" - The Clash