Fed: Planes flying in "commercial" airspace must get GPS

Old June 3rd 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Fed: Planes flying in "commercial" airspace must get GPS

On Jun 3, 12:22*am, "Stephen!" wrote:
a wrote in news:ad2f4ec2-e6ff-4630-a104-cc9246ac9f22
@j12g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

Recent studies of midair collisions involving aircraft by the National
Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) determined that:

* * Most of the aircraft involved in collisions are engaged in
recreational flying, not on any type of flight plan.

* * Most midair collisions occur in VFR weather conditions during
weekend daylight hours.

* * The vast majority of accidents occurred at or near uncontrolled
airports and at altitudes below 1000 feet.

* * Pilots of all experience levels were involved in midair
collisions, from pilots on their first solo ride, to 20,000-hour
veterans.

* * Flight instructors were on board the aircraft 37 percent of the
accidents in the study.

* * Most collisions occur in daylight with visibility greater than 3
miles.

Here's how you can contribute to professional flying and reduce the
odds of becoming involved in a midair collision.

* Lessee... *According to the "statistics", your best bet of successfully
accomplishing a flight without a mid-air collision is to: *Fly only at
night in low visibilty conditions, away from any airport, above 1000 feet,
with a flight instructor, and only during week days...

* Damn, how I love statistics.

--
RCOS #7
IBA# 11465http://imagesdesavions.com

On a personal note, I tend to feel 'safer' when the weather is worse
than marginal VFR and the kids (sorry for the demeaning phraseology)
stay on the ground. Paying attention to the information I offered may
cause some to choose to fly differently than the way they were taught
when around uncontrolled airports, or for that matter in other phases
of flight as well. I've learned from other posters here and
incorporated some of their ideas into my own flying, and made note of
my 'deviations' from standard techniques and think some pilots have
adopted some of them for their own use.

The sort of discussion about what might be safer flying is a worthy
use of RAP but the density of interesting information is pretty low.

Old June 3rd 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Mxsmanic wrote
When was A-N retired? I have trouble just finding information about it; I
guess nobody who uses computers is old enough to remember it.

Well...it was properly called "radio range" and my Navy Advanced Training
Instrument check ride in the S-2F Tracker included a radio-range
orientation followed by a radio-range approach to the Alice, TX (ALI)
airport. This was followed by a radio-range missed approach with one engine
feathered. Then a single-engine mdf (manual direction finding)
approach...yes, using the loop mode and manually rotating it to find the
null. This was all way back in 1959. Not only do I use computers, I built
my first one from a hand full of parts back in the MITS Altair days,
probably before you were born, 1975 as I recall.

Bob Moore
Old June 4th 10, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Mike Adams wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:

When was A-N retired? I have trouble just finding information about it; I
guess nobody who uses computers is old enough to remember it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_frequency_radio_range

Before there were radio ranges, there were light ranges.
And the terminal beacon on a light range is still there for you to see,
on a tower near a runway.

Brian W
Old June 4th 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 3, 5:34*pm, a wrote:

On a personal note, I tend to feel 'safer' when the weather is worse
than marginal VFR and the kids *(sorry for the demeaning phraseology)
stay on the ground.

Yep, usually it's those days where you are the only "november" call
sign on frequency :-)

Actually less chatter on the radio as well in my experiences.

Old June 4th 10, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
David W[_2_]

On Sun, 30 May 2010 13:40:18 +0100, wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:
VOR-DME writes:

The good news, for all involved, is that Microsoft no
longer supports MSFS, so the advantages and difficulties
that those of us flying the real system face will be
completely lost on MSFS users like MX, hopelessly lost in
a 1980's world of air traffic regulation.

Serious simmers do not use the built-in ATC of MSFS. And
the product is still supported, although it is no longer
under active development. Were it to disappear, there are
alternatives such as X-Plane (not a pretty alternative,
I'll grant).

But none of this has anything to do with ADS-B.

Which means as a MSFS gamer you have no clue what ADS-B is,
how it works, or what the next step in the system is.

The poor gamers don't know what they don't know.

--
http://www.mologogo.com/