Colored altimeter bugs

Old June 12th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Colored altimeter bugs

The altimeter in my (sim) cockpit has three colored bugs, two in the shape of
arrows, diametrically opposed, in red and green, and one that is yellow and
kind of wedge shaped. I can move the bugs but they all move together.

What are these bugs for? The documentation doesn't seem to provide any
explanation of their purpose.
Old June 12th 10, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
The altimeter in my (sim) cockpit has three colored bugs, two in the shape of
arrows, diametrically opposed, in red and green, and one that is yellow and
kind of wedge shaped. I can move the bugs but they all move together.

They move independently in real airplanes.

What are these bugs for? The documentation doesn't seem to provide any
explanation of their purpose.

Setting quick glance references usually.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 12th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Jun 11, 8:13*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

What are these bugs for?

Reminders....

Old June 12th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Here's a picture of the gauge with the mystery bugs:

http://www.mxsmanic.com/gauge.jpg
Old June 12th 10, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim[_26_]

On 6/12/2010 9:54 AM, Mxsmanic wrote:
Here's a picture of the gauge with the mystery bugs:

http://www.mxsmanic.com/gauge.jpg

Available from Sporty's:
http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/12626

Peel and Stick Bugs
These reminder bugs, available exclusively from Sporty's, are the best
insurance against error for any pilot. A quick and accurate visual
reference helps maintain critical air speed or altitude. Fast and simple
to install–just peel off the paper backing and press it inside the
bezel. Indicators consist of a thin track that installs inside the bezel.

Altitude Bugs
Altitude Alert Indicator marks critical altitude levels so they can be
maintained by quick visual reference. In the track are three tabs that
move simultaneously: green tab points to 500' above DH or MDA, yellow
tab points from 200' to 100' above minimums and red tab is placed at DH
or MDA. An added safety margin for approaches, it will also help sharpen
your skills. Altitude Alert Indicator 2 7/8" dia.
Old June 13th 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Jim writes:

Altitude Bugs
Altitude Alert Indicator marks critical altitude levels so they can be
maintained by quick visual reference. In the track are three tabs that
move simultaneously: green tab points to 500' above DH or MDA, yellow
tab points from 200' to 100' above minimums and red tab is placed at DH
or MDA. An added safety margin for approaches, it will also help sharpen
your skills. Altitude Alert Indicator 2 7/8" dia.

Mystery solved! Thanks! Odd that Reality XP includes this since it
apparently isn't part of the instrument itself. In any case, I found out how
to turn it off.
Old June 13th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Mxsmanic writes:

Odd that Reality XP includes this since it
apparently isn't part of the instrument itself.

Actually, I've learned from the Reality XP forum that this was a special for
Dreamfleet's Piper Dakota instrument panel, and once it was in, they decided
to leave it as an option for the instrument in case anyone else wanted it.
Once again, a Reality XP instrument turns out to behave just like the real
thing.
Old June 13th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
a[_3_]

On Jun 12, 11:29*am, Jim wrote:
[...]

I carry a couple of different training aids from Sporty's, namely
their failed instrument covers. They cost about $4 each.The gadget
described here is $45 or $50! The failed instrument cover simply fits
a blank disk onto the face of a 2 7/8 instrument that had decided to
go belly up. Scanning instruments in the clouds and looking at an
artificial horizon that suggests you're maybe 30 degrees banked
because its gyro lost its drive or a DG that has Alzheimers for
similar reasons bothers me: it's easier to just cover the instrument
face and fly partial panel.

Who forgets their DH when sliding down a glide slope? For that matter,
how often do you get to DH without seeing the runway environment? The
only time I flew a weather driven missed approach in the last decade
was going into an uncontrolled airport on a non precision approach.