Mandatory ADS B

Old October 1st 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

Default Mandatory ADS B

When will ADS B be implementent and be Mandatory.

Old October 2nd 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Oct 1, 2:45*pm, Richard wrote:
When will ADS B be implementent and be Mandatory.

Richard -

To quote another source: "The FAA in October released the notice of
proposed rulemaking that would set a 2020 deadline for mandatory
installation of ADS-B avionics for aircraft that fly above 10,000 feet
mean sea level or in certain terminal airspace..."

NOTE: Right now its just an NPRM ("notice of proposed rulemaking")...
Its a statement by the FAA of what they would LIKE to implement, and
INTEND on implementing. AOPA, ATA, and a few other groups are
lobbying against it, because the NPRM requires pretty comprehensive
levels of ADS-B technology in the cockpit and the current costs are
steep. Anything that requires pilots or airlines to spend money gets
blasted by these groups, so its not surprising - but some of their
objections are reasonable.

Another thing to note is that the ADS-B NPRM does not currently
require the equipment in all aircraft. The wording is more like the
current Mode-C Transponder requirements, where you only need it in the
aircraft if you penetrate certain airspace or fly above a certain
altitude. Whether gliders will be exempt from any of this is still up
in the air, and I doubt you'll find out those kinds of details for a
few years yet. Bottom-line: Its not something to worry about yet.
Keep your ears open and work with the SSA and AOPA if you are
concerned or want to lobby for/against ADS-B... but there's no need to
panic about this being a sudden issue/cost in the next 3 - 5 years.

Personally, I'm FAR more concerned about the continuing availability
of Leaded (and non-Ethanol-contaminated) fuel for our towplanes!!
That's something that could start affecting glider operations as soon
as 2009...

Take care,

--Noel

Old October 2nd 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

On Oct 1, 4:29*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Oct 1, 2:45*pm, Richard wrote:

[...]

Noel,

Thanks that is what I suspected. I was just fishing for
confirmation. I did find a schecule.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...cast/schedule/

Targeted Removal of Legacy Surveillance FY 2016 – FY 2020

Thanks again,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com