Tesla Model 3 and a glider

Old December 16th 19, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Tesla Model 3 and a glider

Steve Leonard wrote on 12/16/2019 9:45 AM:
On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 11:30:12 AM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:

My dream is a self-driving motorhome that can tow the glider while I hang out on
the couch, sipping a glass of wine, catching up on RAS postings...

Or, pulling the trailer to your next destination while you are soaring there!

Oh, sure, during the day! But at night, a little wine, some whining on RAS, then
off to bed, while RoboHome takes us to the next soaring area.

Old December 16th 19, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Alan Garside wrote on 12/16/2019 10:08 AM:
The electric Rover (I don't know the model) takes 38 hours to recharge on a
single phase supply but only 4 hours on a three phase supply. Is the Tesla
3 similar?

I assume so, but it also charges fairly fast on a single phase 240VAC, 50A
circuit, like you find in RV parks. That's good for 30 miles/hour; a single phase,
120VAC 15A wall receptacle can only charge at 4 miles/hour. I really don't know
the best choice for a generator to put in your trailer, but you do have 240VAC
single phase in most homes. It's what the city utility delivers.

Old December 16th 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Ah, Americans and their overcompensation trucks.sad.
Old December 16th 19, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Charlie Quebec wrote on 12/16/2019 2:20 PM:
Ah, Americans and their overcompensation trucks.sad.

Why is the same trailer stable in Europe, but not in America?

Old December 17th 19, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:22:44 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Charlie Quebec wrote on 12/16/2019 2:20 PM:
Ah, Americans and their overcompensation trucks.sad.

Why is the same trailer stable in Europe, but not in America?

Speed possibly?

In the UK towing with a car at more than 60mph makes you eligible for a
speeding ticket. I haven't towed in Europe, but I'd expect a towing speed
limit below the standard motorway limit there too.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old December 17th 19, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Martin Gregorie wrote on 12/16/2019 4:23 PM:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:22:44 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Charlie Quebec wrote on 12/16/2019 2:20 PM:
Ah, Americans and their overcompensation trucks.sad.

Why is the same trailer stable in Europe, but not in America?

Speed possibly?

In the UK towing with a car at more than 60mph makes you eligible for a
speeding ticket. I haven't towed in Europe, but I'd expect a towing speed
limit below the standard motorway limit there too.

It's a big country, and we do have some impatient pilots, so that's certainly some
of it. Some western states have 80 mph speed limits on the interstate highways.

Old December 17th 19, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 17:00:40 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote on 12/16/2019 4:23 PM:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 15:22:44 -0800, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Charlie Quebec wrote on 12/16/2019 2:20 PM:
Ah, Americans and their overcompensation trucks.sad.

Why is the same trailer stable in Europe, but not in America?

Speed possibly?

In the UK towing with a car at more than 60mph makes you eligible for a
speeding ticket. I haven't towed in Europe, but I'd expect a towing
speed limit below the standard motorway limit there too.

It's a big country, and we do have some impatient pilots, so that's
certainly some of it. Some western states have 80 mph speed limits on
the interstate highways.

Thinking back, I remember that in the early '90s California had a lower
towing speed on freeways than for unencumbered cars, so from what you
said I guess this type of restriction no longer exists.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old December 17th 19, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 6:22:47 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Why is the same trailer stable in Europe, but not in America?

I know! I know!
1) The Europeans use much stiffer suspension
2) Which is SO uncomfortable, they drive at wuss speeds.

Have I got it right R?
Old December 17th 19, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Martin Gregorie wrote on 12/16/2019 5:31 PM:
[...]

It still exists in California: 55 mph towing speed for any vehicle towing a
trailer. Most states do not have restrictions for automobiles, pickups, and
motorhomes, but only for commercial vehicles ("semis" towing trailers [aka 18
wheelers]). Even those are at least 60 mph, usually 65, sometimes higher.

Old December 17th 19, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 1:19:35 PM UTC-8, bertvaneyken wrote:
Is there anyone using a Tesla Model 3 to tow his/her glider regularly?

Curious about the impact on range and usability to go on (European) gliding holiday.

More importantly, how long until the Tesla Model 3 is autonomous? No more need for ground crew!