Engine update, good and bad news

Old June 25th 04, 03:06 AM
nauga

Default Engine update, good and bad news

The bad news: There was a welded repair on
the #2 cylinder, right next to the intake
valve. Looks like the stress around the repair
warped either the valve stem or the valve
guide. There was no scoring on the cylinder
walls and the rings were intact, and it was
apparent that oil was coming in through the
valve. A lot of coking on the cylinder head,
piston face, and intake valve. The valve was
also pretty tight in the guide, I had to tap
it with a hammer and drift to get it out. There
was some scoring on the interior of the valve guide
too. Looking for a new cylinder now.

The good news: It didn't let go in flight and
gave me plenty of warning. The inside of the
case, cam, and tappets look good and there
doesn't appear to be any metal in the engine.
It could've been a lot worse. Plus, now I've
got more time to pack :-P

And a cool new lamp base and paperweight.

Dave 'lampshade' Hyde

RV-4 AOG at 24 hours, EAA tech couselor

Old June 25th 04, 02:37 PM
Pianome

Nothing nicer than actually finding the problem....much better than tearing
everything apart and not finding anything wrong!!

--
Pianome

Old June 25th 04, 03:14 PM
Pete Schaefer

Nice job on tracking it down. Even nicer job in having the good sense to
stop flying and find the problem instead of just waiting for something to
break.

Pete

Old June 25th 04, 06:26 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article irWCc.115713$Sw.29540@attbi_s51,
"Pete Schaefer" wrote:

Nice job on tracking it down. Even nicer job in having the good sense to
stop flying and find the problem instead of just waiting for something to
break.

Pete

It is far better to find the problem than to have it find you!