High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???)

Old July 5th 03, 07:45 PM
Rich S.

"Morgans" jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet wrote in message

So you think the leaf blower idea would be about as effective at

increasing
HP, as farting into the carb for the methane content?

You may have a point. Anyone have some pressure gauge that could measure
the small amounts of boost at the business end of a leaf blower? I would

be
curious to see what good one would do.

Actually, two things came to mind.
1. Using the leaf blower to:
a. burn gasoline to
b. turn a fan to
c. blow air into another engine to:
d. burn gasoline to
e. turn a fan to
f. produce thrust
Seems somewhat inefficient. If the leaf blower simply uses its horsepower to
add the thrust, it cuts out steps c, d, & e.

2. The leaf blower would be suffering the same anoxia as the main
powerplant. Perhaps one could use a Cox .049 to increase its manifold
pressure? ;o)

"Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em.
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum."

Rich S.

Old July 6th 03, 02:36 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:45:50 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

The weedeater Barracuda is rated at 370 cfm.
It will produce boost up to just below that point.

Old July 6th 03, 03:30 AM
Morgans

wrote:

The weedeater Barracuda is rated at 370 cfm.
It will produce boost up to just below that point.

How much boost?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 6th 03, 06:48 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:06:22 -0700, "Paul Millner"
wrote:

NOS needs a rather healthy mixture to begin with (As I recall it helps

with cooling)...

NOS adds a bunch of heat to the engine, so no, it doesn't help with cooling.

Ummmm..no, that;'s not what I said.
I said it requires a rather healthy mixture which helps with the
cooling (need created by the NOS)

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Basically, it's a safer way to add oxygen to the incoming air than injecting
oxygen directly... so since the incoming air is now much more oxygen rich,
you need a bunch more fuel, or your mixture will go very lean. In that
sense, it's an alternative to turbocharging... but the NOS bottle will last
a minute or so, OK for one takeoff... then what? :-)

Paul, turbo Cardinal mode

Old July 6th 03, 06:50 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 07:05:04 -0400, "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet wrote:

"Rich S." wrote in message
"Morgans" wrote in message

It might work more better to have it blowing into the engine for this
poster's intent. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Ah.... but would it?

Rich "Best use of horsepower?" S.

So you think the leaf blower idea would be about as effective at increasing
HP, as farting into the carb for the methane content?

I need to measure the pressure, but I'd guess the one I have with the
200 mph exhaust is about 15 inches or more.

However were it deadheaded, I don't know what it could do.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

You may have a point. Anyone have some pressure gauge that could measure
the small amounts of boost at the business end of a leaf blower? I would be
curious to see what good one would do.

Didn't a guy use a two cycle engine setup to boost his engine for a race
lately? What kind of deal did he use?

Old July 6th 03, 03:37 PM
Darrel Toepfer

"Morgans" wrote...
snip
Didn't a guy use a two cycle engine setup to boost his engine for a race
lately? What kind of deal did he use?

A Rotax powered the blower that fed the main engine. Reason being was to
offset the race altitude, where it was held...

Old July 7th 03, 06:07 AM
Ernest Christley

Johnboy wrote:
I doubt that a leaf blower with a 200 mph exhaust will actually
produce that much. I would guess about 1/2 a PSI. The turbo
on my supra costs $2600, turns at 90,000 rpm, is attached to a
275HP engine, and only puts out 8 PSI.
Do you really think a $40.00 leaf blower will compare?

First, how much you paid for it has absolutely nothing to do with how
much pressure it will produce.

Second, where are you finding $40 gas powered leaf blowers. I need one.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/

Old July 7th 03, 09:23 AM
RJ Cook

If your blower has an exhaust velocity of 200 MPH the maximum pressure
recovery in a diffuser would be about .7 pounds/in2, realistically about .5
lbs/in2.

RJ

Old July 7th 03, 01:55 PM
Morgans

"RJ Cook" wrote in message
.. .
If your blower has an exhaust velocity of 200 MPH the maximum pressure
recovery in a diffuser would be about .7 pounds/in2, realistically about

..5
lbs/in2.

RJ

Sounds like a good swag. How does lbs/sq.-in relate to inches of mercury
(as in manifold pressure)?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 7th 03, 04:51 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet writes:

If your blower has an exhaust velocity of 200 MPH the maximum pressure
recovery in a diffuser would be about .7 pounds/in2, realistically about

.5
lbs/in2.

RJ

Sounds like a good swag. How does lbs/sq.-in relate to inches of mercury
(as in manifold pressure)?
--
Jim in NC

With all this talk of using a gas powered blower would someone please explain
how that blower is going to overcome the effects of altitude and maintain the
same velocity of air. It is going to drop off in power just as the engine will
and at altitude its effect will be nil.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)