Horatio Nelson - Battle Painting

Old November 6th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Front Office

Default Horatio Nelson - Battle Painting

I recently saw a painting of Horatio Nelson,
sword in hand, in combat. The expression on
his face is neutral. A commentary with the
painting used the phrase "violence
phlegmatically delivered."

I would like to find a copy of the painting.

Appreciate any leads.

thanks,

Bob

armistead_rap[AT]bigfoot.com
Old November 6th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Eugene Griessel

Front Office wrote:

I recently saw a painting of Horatio Nelson,
sword in hand, in combat. The expression on
his face is neutral. A commentary with the
painting used the phrase "violence
phlegmatically delivered."

I would like to find a copy of the painting.

Appreciate any leads.

Any vague idea as to who the painter might have been?

Eugene L Griessel

There is a lot of history which isnt fit to repeat itself.
Old November 6th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Front Office

Eugene Griessel wrote:
Front Office wrote:

I recently saw a painting of Horatio Nelson,
sword in hand, in combat. The expression on
his face is neutral. A commentary with the
painting used the phrase "violence
phlegmatically delivered."

I would like to find a copy of the painting.

Appreciate any leads.

Any vague idea as to who the painter might have been?

No.

I wish I had taken notice of that when I saw the image.

I think I saw it in The New York Review of Books sometime
this past summer. I guess I might have to go through all the
issues of the last five months or so . . .
Old November 6th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
St. John Smythe

Was it this picture?

http://media.historynet.com/designimages/bp_figures.gif

--
St. John
When a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his
Old November 6th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Front Office

St. John Smythe wrote:
Was it this picture?

http://media.historynet.com/designimages/bp_figures.gif

That's not it, but the posture is about right. And the person in
question looks more like Horatio Nelson than G. Washington.

Old November 6th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
pe.rhodes

There is a famous one, but in it, he has only one arm and one eye, and is
boarding another ship with a sword in his hand, and no hat - is that the
one?

"Front Office" wrote in message
. ..

Old November 7th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Front Office

pe.rhodes wrote:
There is a famous one, but in it, he has only one arm and one eye, and is
boarding another ship with a sword in his hand, and no hat - is that the
one?

No, but I'd like to see that one if you can give a URL for it.

In the one I have in mind, he is advancing from the left (I think).
He might have his right arm, but I doubt it, since I think that
was probably part of what got him so glorified. He is carrying
a sword, and other British soldiers are near him. It's his neutral
facial expression that is interesting to me, in re the "violence
delivered phlegmatically" quotation from the article that the
picture accompanied.

Old November 7th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
pe.rhodes

Google is your friend: type 'Horatio Nelson', then click on 'Images' and
you'll get a thousand or so. The particular one I was thinking of is "Nelson
Boarding the 'San Josef' at the Battle of Cape St Vincent, 14 Feb 1797" by
George Jones painted in 1829.
http://www.seabritain2005.com/server...chooseLetter=S

Old November 7th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Front Office

pe.rhodes wrote:
Google is your friend: type 'Horatio Nelson', then click on 'Images' and
you'll get a thousand or so.

Already did that. Reckon I'll go at it again . . . though now I'm thinking
the main guy in the painting might not be Nelson. I recall that the
setting might have been the dry land . . .

The particular one I was thinking of is "Nelson
Boarding the 'San Josef' at the Battle of Cape St Vincent, 14 Feb 1797" by
George Jones painted in 1829.

Neat picture, but not it.

I have 'lost' so many interesting photos and paintings because so
often it is days or weeks after seeing them that I realize this or that
interesting feature that I want again to see.

I appreciate your help on this. Thanks. If I find what I am looking
for, I will announce it on these two groups.

Bob

pe.rhodes wrote:

There is a famous one, but in it, he has only one arm and one eye, and is
boarding another ship with a sword in his hand, and no hat - is that the
one?

No, but I'd like to see that one if you can give a URL for it.

In the one I have in mind, he is advancing from the left (I think).
He might have his right arm, but I doubt it, since I think that
was probably part of what got him so glorified. He is carrying
a sword, and other British soldiers are near him. It's his neutral
facial expression that is interesting to me, in re the "violence
delivered phlegmatically" quotation from the article that the
picture accompanied.

"Front Office" wrote in message
om...