Multiengine Rating

Old January 14th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Multiengine Rating

Hi,

i'm interested in the multiengine rating (land), VFR-add-on to my
PP-ASEL.
Any comments about the best training aircraft for these purpose ?
(PA34 Seneca, Beech Duchess, PA44 Seminole, Diamond DA42, ..)

There are big differences concerning the rating requirements.
Some flight schools offer a multi training of 6 hours, other 25 hours
for the rating.

Why it is so ?

Mike

Old January 14th 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The hours i mentioned are for the multiengine rating course ... there
are big differences from one school to another ...from 6 to 25 hours
(!!) for the rating.

Are you just going for the rating or do you want to rent/buy a twin.
The insurance time in type required to rent/buy is usually more than
the time it requires to get the rating. If you have the option to
rent/buy one just make sure you get your rating in the same model. For
all practical purposes twins are as if they have a type rating (from
the insurance check out requirements).

-Robert

Old January 14th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

I expect to get flamed for saying this, but the Duchess and Seminoles are
just trainers, and the Seneca is a real airplane. I have flown a Seminole
(with four onboard) in the tops of a stratus layer, unable to climb into the
clear. From what I read, the DA42 is quite an airplane, but I have no idea
what its cost is compared to others. It, too, is a real airplane as opposed
to a trainer.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old January 14th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

wrote in message oups.com...
: Hi,
:
: i'm interested in the multiengine rating (land), VFR-add-on to my
: PP-ASEL.
: Any comments about the best training aircraft for these purpose ?
: (PA34 Seneca, Beech Duchess, PA44 Seminole, Diamond DA42, ..)
:
: There are big differences concerning the rating requirements.
: Some flight schools offer a multi training of 6 hours, other 25 hours
: for the rating.
:
: Why it is so ?
:
: Mike
:

Did mine in a C-310...

Old January 14th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I am very partial to the BE-76 Duchess. It has a redundant
electrical system and very good handling. The Seminole uses
the wing from a Cherokee with a 50 gallon fuel tank in an
over-sized engine nacelle. The drag between the nacelle and
fuselage reduces performance.
The Beech has a big elevator and rudder, giving it better
control. Beech actually did a full spin test series in the
Duchess but decided for marketing reason, not to certify it
for intentional spinning. It will recover from a spin on
one engine, not many twins can say that.

Can't speak for the DA-42, it looks interesting.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Hi,
|
| i'm interested in the multiengine rating (land),
VFR-add-on to my
| PP-ASEL.
| Any comments about the best training aircraft for these
purpose ?
| (PA34 Seneca, Beech Duchess, PA44 Seminole, Diamond DA42,
...)

Old January 14th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The Duchess is just a 4 place airplane, but its
single-engine performance is such that it can legally be
flown under Part 135 IFR rules, the Seminole performance is
such that it can't maintain the MEA on one engine on many
routes.

If I was buying a piston twin, I'd want a BE59TC.

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
|I expect to get flamed for saying this, but the Duchess and
Seminoles are
| just trainers, and the Seneca is a real airplane. I have
flown a Seminole
| (with four onboard) in the tops of a stratus layer, unable
to climb into the
| clear. From what I read, the DA42 is quite an airplane,
but I have no idea
| what its cost is compared to others. It, too, is a real
airplane as opposed
| to a trainer.
|
| Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old January 14th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Did mine in a Aztec.

BTW, if you plan on getting a commercial, do that before or
as part of the MEL, else you'll have to take the MEL again
to get it on you CPL.

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. net...

oups.com...

Old January 14th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Jim Macklin wrote:
I am very partial to the BE-76 Duchess. It has a redundant
electrical system and very good handling. The Seminole uses
the wing from a Cherokee with a 50 gallon fuel tank in an
over-sized engine nacelle. The drag between the nacelle and
fuselage reduces performance.
The Beech has a big elevator and rudder, giving it better
control. Beech actually did a full spin test series in the
Duchess but decided for marketing reason, not to certify it
for intentional spinning. It will recover from a spin on
one engine, not many twins can say that.

I would concur, the Duchess is better than a Seminole. Actually,
it might even be better than a seneca (some models). But anyway,
You should probably have an instrument rating too before you
start thinking about a multi-engine rating.
Old January 14th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Both the 310 and the Aztec are "real airplanes" in the highly subjective
Gardner lexicon.

Bob

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. net...