Naval AWACS

Old July 9th 05, 12:44 PM
Sergio

Default Naval AWACS

Juergen Nieveler a présenté l'énoncé suivant :

Was/is there a project to replace the E-2C Hawkeye? Those planes must
be getting rather old and worn-out by now...

Seems to me that the Hawkeye 2000 was the replacement. Am I wrong ?

--
Sergio
(pour m'écrire, remplacer @aviation par @gmail)

Old July 9th 05, 01:01 PM
Thomas Schoene

Juergen Nieveler wrote:
Was/is there a project to replace the E-2C Hawkeye? Those planes must
be getting rather old and worn-out by now...

E-2D Advanced Hawkeye. Based on the E-2C Hawkeye 2000 but with totally new
electronics. There may be up to 75 E-2D new-builds, which would replace all
but the newest E-2Cs.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old July 9th 05, 03:30 PM
Joe Delphi

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
hlink.net...

E-2D Advanced Hawkeye. Based on the E-2C Hawkeye 2000 but with totally

new
electronics. There may be up to 75 E-2D new-builds, which would replace

all
but the newest E-2Cs.

This means that Grumman (now Northrop/Grumman) will re-open the assembly
line at Calverton, NY ?

JD

Old July 9th 05, 03:42 PM
Thomas Schoene

Joe Delphi wrote:
"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
hlink.net...

E-2D Advanced Hawkeye. Based on the E-2C Hawkeye 2000 but with
totally new electronics. There may be up to 75 E-2D new-builds,
which would replace all but the newest E-2Cs.

This means that Grumman (now Northrop/Grumman) will re-open the
assembly line at Calverton, NY ?

No. The E-2Ds being built at St. Augustine, FL.

http://www.dcmilitary.com/navy/teste...s/34612-1.html

Old July 10th 05, 04:44 AM

St Augustine or Cecil Field? I don't recall anywhere at St. A where one
would build airplanes.
Walt BJ

Old July 10th 05, 02:55 PM
Thomas Schoene

St Augustine or Cecil Field? I don't recall anywhere at St. A where
one would build airplanes.
Walt BJ

Hey, just read the press release I cited, which says the new aircraft was
rolled out at the Northrop Grumman facility at St. Augustine. For more
confirmation, see this press release:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/050707/1129965.html?.v=1

" The St. Augustine plant has about 1,300 workers. The plant makes the E-2
Hawkeye airborne early warning aircraft for the U.S. Navy and major
assemblies for the EA-6B Prowler and other military aircraft. "

So far as I know there is no aircraft manufacturing activity yet at the
former NAS Cecil Field. Embraer is (or was) building an assembly hangar
there, but I don't know how the recent news that the Army is dropping the
ERJ 145 for the Airborne Common Sensor program is going to impact that. If
they adopt the larger EMB 190, probably it goes ahead. If they switch to a
different platform, Embraer probably walks away from the hangar.

http://www.flightinternational.com/A...5+for+ACS.html

OB ram.naval: This news would seem to make it more likely that the Navy will
bite the bullet and repackage the ACS sensors into a P-8 (Boeing 737)
airframe for the EP-3 replacement requirement.