Tribute to VADM Stockdale

Old July 11th 05, 05:48 PM
Mike Kanze

Default Tribute to VADM Stockdale

There is a very nice tribute to VADM Stockdale by Jeff Bliss, Associate
Director of the Hoover Institution. Stockdale was a Research Fellow there
until 1996.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000

This appeared in this morning's (7/11) San Francisco Chronicle, an otherwise
quite left-leaning paper, and possibly in other papers as well.

--
Mike Kanze

"When they take off the bandages you look just like Newt Gingrich. That's
why they call it Newtering."

- One feral cat to another, in Farley (comic strip) - 6/23/05

Old July 12th 05, 12:03 AM
Jim

Mike Kanze wrote:
There is a very nice tribute to VADM Stockdale by Jeff Bliss, Associate
Director of the Hoover Institution. Stockdale was a Research Fellow there
until 1996.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000

This appeared in this morning's (7/11) San Francisco Chronicle, an otherwise
quite left-leaning paper, and possibly in other papers as well.

Not what I would have expected from a left-leaning source. Good read.
Old July 12th 05, 02:03 AM
Michael Wise

In article , Jim
wrote:

There is a very nice tribute to VADM Stockdale by Jeff Bliss, Associate
Director of the Hoover Institution. Stockdale was a Research Fellow there
until 1996.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...GM7C91291.DTL&
hw=stockdale&sn=001&sc=1000

This appeared in this morning's (7/11) San Francisco Chronicle, an
otherwise
quite left-leaning paper, and possibly in other papers as well.

Not what I would have expected from a left-leaning source. Good read.

Perhaps our local paper isn't as left-leaning as people might like to
believe. I think people stereotype everything SF based on our city
politicians (most of whom are carpet-bagging transplants) and the
suburban freaks who always come here to make the TV newscasts with their
protests.

The SF Chronicle has run several recent stories lauding the efforts and
recognizing the sacrifices of our troops abroad.

--mike
Old July 12th 05, 05:10 AM
Merlin Dorfman

Michael Wise wrote:
In article , Jim
wrote:

[...]

Also left-leaning does not mean anti-military. It may or may
not even mean anti-how-the-military-is-used. And some of the
loudest opposition to how the military is being used comes from
the Far Right.

Old July 13th 05, 07:14 AM
Mike Kanze

Mike,

True enough, about some of the Chron's feature stories.

They are a weak counterweight to much of its editorial page, though. While
the Chron has a nice balance of national and local columnists, the "house"
editorials and the Letters to the Editor fit the left/crazy stereotype to a
"T" quite consistently.

--
Mike Kanze

"When they take off the bandages you look just like Newt Gingrich. That's
why they call it Newtering."

- One feral cat to another, in Farley (comic strip) - 6/23/05