"bush flying" in the suburbs?

Old December 10th 04, 02:21 AM
Blueskies

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message news:%vQtd.755$Qp.517@trnddc01...
The old man and N2310D disappeared into the mountains somewhere between Anchorage and North Way. Every time I drive
into San Berdoo I remember that night.

We need more like him today...

Old December 13th 04, 10:35 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:25:30 GMT, zatatime wrote:

In NJ you can't land anywhere except and approved landing facility,
which puts the kabosh on your plan for this state.

And no water landings, right?

Damian Delgaizo at Andover Flight Academy was planning to put floats
on his Husky (amphibious, presumably). As I understood it, he would
have to do the actual training across the state line in PA!

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old December 13th 04, 10:37 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:04:44 -0900, "PJ Hunt"
wrote:

So you CAN go alone or take your friends, as long as you don't charge them
or receive a reward, and land in all the fields you want without prior
permission from the 'commission. Of course you would want to approve it
with the land owner first.

There are indeed private fields in NJ. Of course they may pre-date the
ordinance quoted.

I landed at several such when I took Damian Delgaizo's bush-flying
course.

Old December 13th 04, 05:51 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:35:58 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:25:30 GMT, zatatime wrote:

In NJ you can't land anywhere except and approved landing facility,
which puts the kabosh on your plan for this state.

And no water landings, right?

Damian Delgaizo at Andover Flight Academy was planning to put floats
on his Husky (amphibious, presumably). As I understood it, he would
have to do the actual training across the state line in PA!

This is correct. Damian was going to do this after someone else with
a Lake Amphib left the area. She had to use lakes in PA only as she
could not land on any open water other than designated seaplane bases
like the one on the Hudson.

HTH.

(Does Damian use any places to land other than approved landing
facilities for his other program? He'd know enough farmers out there
that he would if he could, and it might shed some light on the
original statement above.)
Old December 13th 04, 05:54 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 05:37:48 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

There are indeed private fields in NJ. Of course they may pre-date the
ordinance quoted.

Private airfields / strips, or just regular farm fields?

Old December 13th 04, 06:01 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cub Driver wrote:

And no water landings, right?

There used to be a private seaplane base on the Raritan river just below New
Brunswick. The guy who owned the property kept a Cessna with amphibs there. He
operated from the river during the summer.

A few years ago, he was talking about selling the property. Someone at Kupper
(probably John Price) was telling me that the license to operate aircraft there
would expire unless he sold it to another seaplane owner.

Even if that's gone, there are seaplane bases on the Raritan Bay at Atlantic
Highlands, on the Navasink river above Rumson, on the inland waterway near
Lakewood, at Toms River, and at Manahawkin. Though a few of those are miles
inland, all of them are on tidal waters, and may be beyond the control of the
State. There're also bases on Greenwood lake and the Delaware, but both of those
are on State borders - I can't tell for sure if they're in NJ.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 13th 04, 06:05 PM
zatatime

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:01:54 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

There're also bases on Greenwood lake and the Delaware, but both of those
are on State borders - I can't tell for sure if they're in NJ.

The one on the Delaware is in PA, I don't know about Greenwood Lake.
I also didn't know of all the bases in south Jersey either. I don't
remember seeing them on a sectional. Unfortunately PA is closer to
Andover than those places so the flight school Cub Driver is talking
about would still be better off going to PA.

Thanks for the info!
Old December 13th 04, 06:10 PM
G.R. Patterson III

zatatime wrote:

I also didn't know of all the bases in south Jersey either. I don't
remember seeing them on a sectional.

They're all on the NY and DC sectionals and all are shown as private.

Old December 14th 04, 12:29 AM
Dana M. Hague

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:19:42 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Rich asked for a definition of "approved". That's what Gig provided. The section
he quoted does prohibit commercial operations, but no claim has been made that
that's the entire law in New Jersey. Perhaps "zatatime" can provide a reference
to the statute that prohibits other operations?

I can't provide a statute, but around 20 years ago while flying the
"slot" I emergency landed my T-Craft on a Hudson River pier (in
Weehawken, on the Jersey side). The emergency landing was OK as far
as both the FAA and state were concerned, but I got in all sorts of
trouble when I flew it out again the next day after the problem was
solved. In the end the feds admittited I hadn't violated any FAR's
and the state aviation people (who actually were very reasonable about
it) decided not to charge me as long as I promised to never land there
again.

-Dana

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Violets are blue,
I'm wasting much too much time on the internet,
and probably, so are you.

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Bu$h Jr's Iran-Contra -- The Pentagone's Reign of Terror PirateJohn Military Aviation 1 September 6th 03 10:05 AM