VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

Old June 8th 05, 06:10 PM
Marco P.J. Borst

Default VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

From Commander, Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Public Affairs

ITALY (NNS) -- Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 2 will relocate from
Rota, Spain, to Whidbey Island, Wash., effective Sept. 1.

The relocation of VQ-2's six aircraft and 450 Sailors to the United States
is in keeping with the Navy's ongoing transformation of forces in Europe,
and will help reduce costs and eliminate redundancies throughout its force
structure worldwide.

The move will co-locate the squadron with VQ-1, already based at Naval Air
Station Whidbey Island, and will realize efficiencies through the
consolidation of personnel deployment practices, aircraft maintenance
practices and air crew training for these unique Navy squadrons.

"This move is an essential element of our transformation in Europe, greatly
enhancing our overall efficiency and, in the process, improving the
operational capabilities of both VQ-1 and VQ-2," said Adm. Harry Ulrich,
commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe.

"Both squadrons will now be strategically located together, maximizing their
training and readiness posture and their ability to surge worldwide as
required," said Ulrich. "The officers and Sailors of VQ-2 are true
professionals and have carried on a proud legacy here in Europe. Theirs is a
tremendous record of success and excellence. I have no doubt they will
continue that record in the future."

VQ-2, established in 1955, has been operating out of Rota since 1960, and
was at the forefront of the Navy's reconnaissance operations for the
majority of the Cold War. The squadron was instrumental in providing
reconnaissance collection for NATO operations in the Balkans in the 1990s,
and operated alongside VQ-1 to enforce no-fly zones with operations Northern
Watch and Southern Watch during the same period. More recently, VQ-2
deployed to support both operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom in
the Middle East.

The closure of VQ-2 facilities in Rota is being done in phases, with most of
the Sailors and their family members being permitted to complete their tours
in Spain, while new personnel report to facilities in Whidbey Island.

Additionally, two smaller associated units, Naval Security Group Activity
Rota and Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Unit Rota, will be disestablished
through the ongoing transformation efforts.

For related news, visit the COMUSNAVEUR/COMSIXTHFLT Navy NewsStand page at
www.news.navy.mil/local/naveur/.

Regards,
Marco P.J. Borst
P-3 Orion Research Group - The Netherlands

e-mail:
P-3 website:
http://home.planet.nl/~p3orion
MSN Messenger:
subscribe to the P-3 Orion e-mail group:

"The reward of a job well done is to have done it."

Old June 8th 05, 07:08 PM

"Marco P.J. Borst" wrote in message
VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

From Commander, Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Public

Affairs

ITALY (NNS) -- Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 2 will relocate from
Rota, Spain, to Whidbey Island, Wash., effective Sept. 1.

Talk about a 'climate change'.

It will take some getting used to going from the sunny, laid-back pace there
in the Med to the gray, rainy skies of "The Rock". :-)

^^

Old June 9th 05, 06:20 PM
Mike Weeks

Marco P.J. Borst wrote:
VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

From Commander, Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Public Affairs

ITALY (NNS) -- Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 2 will relocate from
Rota, Spain, to Whidbey Island, Wash., effective Sept. 1.

Doesn't this beg a question; will one sqdrn be deactivated *down the
road*, given both are going to be at Whidbey?

MW

Old June 9th 05, 07:41 PM
Mike Kanze

Mike,

Doesn't this beg a question; will one sqdrn be deactivated *down the road*,
given both are going to be at Whidbey?

Maybe.

Right now I read this as an opportunity to consolidate support, training and
maintenance assets at one location (NUW) that should not substantially
degrade our ability to provide coverage. It also gives the Rock stronger,
continuing "raison d'être," especially with the EA-6B community now in the
twilight of its service. Remember too that the weight of current and future
ELINT-gathering opportunities appear concentrated more along the Pacific Rim
(China, N. Korea) than anywhere else in the world.

This second point is parallel to what was argued in the recent BRAC
recommendation to close Portsmouth Naval Shipyard versus Pearl Harbor NS,
Pearl being closer to the perceived "need."

I agree with ^^ that the Rock will be quite a culture warp from Spain. Put
away those bota bags and break out the poopy suits. Of course the Rock does
have its nicer points, like tax-free smokes, fireworks, and gaming on the
nearby tribal lands, plus to-die-for skiing and seafood-scarfing
opportunities.

Then there are those summer "fog-tans" that Rocksters have always
enjoyed...g

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it."

- Will Rogers

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
oups.com...

Marco P.J. Borst wrote:
VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

From Commander, Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Public
Affairs

Old June 9th 05, 10:05 PM
Mike Weeks

Mike Kanze wrote:
Mike,

Doesn't this beg a question; will one sqdrn be deactivated *down the roa=

d*,
given both are going to be at Whidbey?

Maybe.

Right now I read this as an opportunity to consolidate support, training =

and
maintenance assets at one location (NUW) that should not substantially
degrade our ability to provide coverage. It also gives the Rock stronger,
continuing "raison d'=EAtre," especially with the EA-6B community now in =

[...]

Certainly can't question what's related above as to why the move; I was
thinking more along the line of "command billet" structure. Since it's
been many a year since either VQ1 or 2 flew off the boat in the whale,
I really don't have a feel for how they are currently structured plane
and personnel-wise. Would it now make "economic sense" to roll the two
into one outfit was basically the question. Time will tell no doubt.

MW

Old June 9th 05, 10:55 PM
Mike Kanze

Mike,

The VQ community flies the EP-3 airframe exclusively, having exited the
Whale / boat ops business in the late 1980s.

Another reason it makes sense to move VQ-2 to Whidbey: the Rock is already
host to several VP outfits (maintenance / support commonalities).

http://www.naswi.navy.mil/vq-1/
https://www.rota.navy.mil/vq2/

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it."

- Will Rogers

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike,

Old June 10th 05, 03:48 AM

"Mike Weeks" wrote in message
oups.com...

Marco P.J. Borst wrote:
VQ-2 Scheduled for Homeport Change

From Commander, Naval Forces Europe/Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Public

Affairs

ITALY (NNS) -- Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron (VQ) 2 will relocate

from
Rota, Spain, to Whidbey Island, Wash., effective Sept. 1.

Doesn't this beg a question; will one sqdrn be deactivated *down the
road*, given both are going to be at Whidbey?

Nope. Different coverage areas. Different administrative control.
They did the same thing with VQ-3 and VQ-4 at Tinker. When they get airborne
one turns right and one goes left. It works well.
It's a smart move so all support and training can be centrally located.
Uncle Sam needs to do a lot more "smart moves" with our tax dollars!

^^

Old June 24th 05, 05:45 PM
Guest

I am actually stationed at VQ2 and while they arent consolidating the
two squadrons as of yet, the rumor is when the NEW Version of our
aircraft come out (i forget the model but its somthing along the lines
of a 737 i believe) VQ1 and VQ2 will become somthing like VQ12 if you
see what i am saying. But as of now VQ2 will remain VQ2 flying our
birds while VQ1 does their thing.
Old June 25th 05, 01:10 AM
Allen

In article ,
Guest wrote:

I am actually stationed at VQ2 and while they arent consolidating the
two squadrons as of yet, the rumor is when the NEW Version of our
aircraft come out (i forget the model but its somthing along the lines
of a 737 i believe) VQ1 and VQ2 will become somthing like VQ12 if you
see what i am saying. But as of now VQ2 will remain VQ2 flying our
birds while VQ1 does their thing.

Well, VX-5 and VX-4 became VX-9 so what the heck might as well

Pugs
Old June 25th 05, 03:42 AM
Mike Weeks

Guest wrote:
I am actually stationed at VQ2 and while they arent consolidating the
two squadrons as of yet, the rumor is when the NEW Version of our
aircraft come out (i forget the model but its somthing along the lines
of a 737 i believe) VQ1 and VQ2 will become somthing like VQ12 if you
see what i am saying. But as of now VQ2 will remain VQ2 flying our
birds while VQ1 does their thing.

And it's those rumors which keeps things a-hopin' -- Interesting
indeed.

MW