Q-abbreviations

Old September 19th 09, 09:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default Q-abbreviations

Some Q-codes are well known to pilots: QHN, QFE; some are studied in
ground class like QDR and QDM. Recently I heard say there also exists
one for "request to leave your frequency", ISTR it was QSR.

Which brings me to some questions:

-) where can I find a complete and authorative lsit of the Q-codes to be
used in aviation R/T?
-) who is the owner/maintainer of this list? They are international, so
it cannot be any national administration*. ICAO perhaps? But then I
understand some of these codes are also used by meteorologists and
sailors, too...?

TIA,
KA

* besides we have recently seen examples of the confusion that national
administrations can create through confusing or even contradictory
publications...
Old September 19th 09, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan[_3_]

jan olieslagers schrieb:

-) where can I find a complete and authorative lsit of the Q-codes to be
used in aviation R/T?

I don't think the official documents are on the internet, but there are
a couple of private sites with lists. A German one:
http://www.htc.ch/de/der_Q_code.htm

-) who is the owner/maintainer of this list?

The ITU (surprize!), and for the aviation related codes the ICAO (again,
surprize!).

I think there is also a range of codes which is deliberately not defined
and free for national use, but I'm not sure on tis.
Old September 19th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering - JIm

One of the very best ones (adapted to aviation use from amateur radio) is
QLF (now try that maneuver using only your LEFT foot.)

Jim

Old September 20th 09, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jan olieslagers[_2_]

RST Engineering - JIm schreef:
One of the very best ones (adapted to aviation use from amateur radio) is
QLF (now try that maneuver using only your LEFT foot.)

Dreadful sorry, Jim, but even the VERY exhaustive list mentioned by
Stefan has no entry for QLF so I am afraid your point is lost on me.
Then again, ANY operation on the radio influenced by foot availability
must be tricky, if not positively lousy...
KA
Old September 20th 09, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Stefan schreef:
jan olieslagers schrieb:

-) where can I find a complete and authorative list of the Q-codes to
be used in aviation R/T?

I don't think the official documents are on the internet, but there are
a couple of private sites with lists. A German one:
http://www.htc.ch/de/der_Q_code.htm

Beautiful!
quoteDie Q-Codes werden zu Fragen, wenn ihnen ein Fragezeichen
folgt./quote
my translationQ-codes become questions when followed by a question
mark/tr
This irreproachable logic can only stem from the military.

I only hope I need not know the full list by heart for the radio exam!
Old September 20th 09, 01:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John E. Carty

"jan olieslagers" wrote in message
RST Engineering - JIm schreef:
One of the very best ones (adapted to aviation use from amateur radio) is
QLF (now try that maneuver using only your LEFT foot.)

Dreadful sorry, Jim, but even the VERY exhaustive list mentioned by Stefan
has no entry for QLF so I am afraid your point is lost on me. Then again,
ANY operation on the radio influenced by foot availability must be tricky,
if not positively lousy...
KA

QLF Facetious prosign: Now send with your LEFT foot

Found it at: http://www.ominous-valve.com/acronyms.txt :-)

Old September 20th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jan olieslagers[_2_]

John E. Carty schreef:
QLF Facetious prosign: Now send with your LEFT foot

Found it at: http://www.ominous-valve.com/acronyms.txt :-)

Thank you Sir, this page seems even more edifying than the previous.
That QLF must be lousy indeed but I will prefer operating the radio with
my LEFT foot over having no feet LEFT especially on a left-foot circuit
(or was that left-hand?).

Or would this apply to sending smoke-signals with a left-foot-activated
oil valve?
Old September 20th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jan olieslagers[_2_]

RST Engineering - JIm schreef:
One of the very best ones (adapted to aviation use from amateur radio) is
QLF (now try that maneuver using only your LEFT foot.)

Further studying Stefan's link, I found the QGR code more useful for
those depraved of the left foot functionality...?

quoteQGR: Kann ich in ... landen, ohne eine Linkskurve zu machen? /quote
trCan I land at ... without performing any left turn?/tr

And no, there's no equivalent to the other side: QGL is a request to
enter a controlled zone. A controlled ZONE mind you, not a controlled area!
Old September 20th 09, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Not really as silly as it sounds. The idea is to create a double meanig for
many codes. for example, QTH Denver means my loaction is Denver. QTH? means
what is your location?

Old September 21st 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
capitanleo

Stefan schreef:
jan olieslagers schrieb:

-) where can I find a complete and authorative list of the Q-codes to be
used in aviation R/T?

I don't think the official documents are on the internet, but there are a
couple of private sites with lists. A German one:
http://www.htc.ch/de/der_Q_code.htm

Beautiful!
quoteDie Q-Codes werden zu Fragen, wenn ihnen ein Fragezeichen
folgt./quote
my translationQ-codes become questions when followed by a question
mark/tr
This irreproachable logic can only stem from the military.

I only hope I need not know the full list by heart for the radio exam!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXybnTbjBl8

Why so many abbreviations in NOTAMs, etc.? Mxsmanic Piloting 37 April 21st 07 11:59 PM
Airline Abbreviations jfp Piloting 5 December 31st 05 08:59 AM
Finnish Aeronautical Engineering Abbreviations Ron Wanttaja Home Built 10 April 1st 04 07:14 AM