My first lesson

Old April 11th 05, 05:31 AM
Marco Rispoli

Default My first lesson

Marco walks to the instructor and introduces himself. Marco is already out
of his mind with terror. Rationality left the premises a long time ago.

The instructor has fangs and horns and a red tail and smells of ozone and
sulfur. He snaps handcuffs on Marco and drags Marco kicking and screaming
towards the "torture plane".

Two demons, called Joe and Moe (Moe is wearing a Nascar T-Shirt with the
picture of Jeff Gordon on it), grab Marco by the arms and legs, stuff him in
the cockpit of the plane while Marco is now screaming like a girl, and tie
him down.

Marco is only aware of the fact that the plane smells of sulfur and makes
noises from hell.

The instructor takes off and flies into a loop. Marco screams but his vocal
cords are now rotting. His skin peels off his cheeks, the insane instructor
pulling 11 Gs. Marco can feel his eyes collapsing into his eyesocket, his
raucous voice, now reduced to a whimper, gurgling while he throws up. Blood
comes gushing out of his eyes and ears, while his spine is crushed.

Marco utters one last gurgle before decaying in a pool of blood and guts
while the instructor laughs his infernal laugh "I will see you in hell!!!"

nah.

I went to wings field today. I took a ride in the Pitts. The instructor's
name was Bruce Everett.. The only noises you could here in the cockpit were
the engine ... and me whooping through every loop screaming "MORE MORE!!! I
WANT MOOOOOOOORE!!!"

Yep.

I thought I was gonna be scared. Nope.

I thought I was gonna get sick. Nope.

Nada. Nothing. It was joyride.

Before climbing in the plane, Bruce (Everett) explained the manouvers we
were going to try. Knife edge. Loops. Hammer head.

Basic stuff.

We did a manouver where the plane goes banked 90 degrees to one side, then
inverted, the banked 90 degrees the opposite side, then straight. Can't
remember what that's called.

After an uneventful flight to wings field (yes, I flew there), and a bit of
trouble to find a parking spot for my Cherokee, I sit with Bruce and we go
over what we are going to do. Bruce is a calm looking guy that radiates a
sense of ... confidence.

He looks bored more than anything else.

After one hour in a Pitts ... I'd be bored too, on the ground. Nothing could
get me excited again, other than flying inverted all the time.

We have a conversation about safety and envelopes. According to Bruce the
plane will be safely within the envelope and won't buffet or stall if
handled properly and all i have to do is just pull the right amount (he
shows me how much) and the plane will stay away from any stall risks.

We walk to the plane, fully expecting my fears to overwhelm me at some
point. Any point. But nothing. I was starting to wonder if I had turned into
a block of ice. I never felt so indifferent to something as radical as this.

I was excited but even digging deep down I couldn't feel one hint of
nervousness. NOTHING AT ALL.

We have a few discussions about safety, parachutes, how to bail out, etc. I
pay attention and run the scenarios in my head, fully aware that if we get
to the point where we need to bail out, chances are we are in deep **** and
we are going to die.

This thought is leaving me completely indifferent. Somehow I hear the words
and picture the events in my head and can't ... get scared. Or even nervous.

Some apprehension starts creeping up when I realize that this plane is
cramped as hell and getting in will be one hell of a ride all by itself. I
am more nervous about getting in than flying it.

But after some contorsions (ouch I gotta lose a few pounds) and after
getting strapped in real tight, I feel really comfy. Incredibly I have more
legroom here than in my piper ... same goes for the hips. I am incredibly
comfortable in fact.

I just can't see **** in front of me. The nose of the plane is gigantic and
sticking up right in front of you. The wings don't help either.

I am sitting front seat. The instructor is sitting back seat. He's got it
even worse than I do. But if he can fly it ... I am fine with it.

Bruce warned me that the plane was going to be noisy. And indeed it is noisy
but it's not the end of the world. Just a tad noisier than many other planes
I have been into.

Bruce lines up for takeoff and starts increasing power. When we reach full
throttle ... wow. This baby's got some pull.

The plane has a shorter takeoff roll than the Piper (big suprise) and it
just doesn't change attitude. It starts the roll, noses down a bit ... but
the nose is still up, and the plane is off the ground all by itself in a
matter of seconds.

At 1000 feet Burce hands me the controls.

The plane feels a lot more stable than I thought it would. Sensitive yes (I
giggle the stick a bit and the plane giggles with it instantaneously). But
quite stable.

On the way there I ask Bruce if I can do a couple of steep turns just to
feel how the plane handles. Bruce says "Of course" ... what else was he
gonna say?

So, when we reach the aerobatic area, I start one turn to the right. 45
degrees and I pull ...

The plane responds so docile and easy that I am wondering if I am even
turning. So I steepen the turn ... more. To 60.

More ... to 80, almost to 90 and I pull and pull and pull even more on the
stick.

I roll out of the turn (a 360 turn) and my head almost hits the canopy.
Woah. gotta be careful with these ailerons.

Wow. That wasn't hard at all. Fun and this thing can turn in a dime. I don't
know how long it took me to turn but I can't think it was more than 20
seconds. Hard to say ... time has a tendency to compress when you are having
fun.

Ok, cool. Let's try the other direction.

This time I throw the plane in an 80 degree bank with no esitation. And I
pull even harder. I feel a bit of a tug in my guts but ... is this all there
is to it?

I glance at the G-meter after I get out of the turn.

3.5 Gs. I blink stupidly for a sec. Did I just pull 3.5 Gs? I didn't feel
anything. Not even a tickle.

Next is a loop.

Bruce demonstrates first.

We reach 160 knots (yes 160 ... and to me it's just a number on a dial. It
doesn't feel like 160 at all).

Then Bruce pulls up ... hard. Here I do feel some tug. In fact the pull is
so hard my head comes into contact with the seat and I can't lift it. I can
feel my cheeks pull down ... I can feel my ears pull down.

I am looking straight up when the ground comes in sight ... and Bruce
relaxes the pull a bit ... and this is a beautiful moment.

This is one of those moments where you just go "WOW ... I didn't think you
could see this ... you could feel like this".

For 2-3 seconds I feel suspended. We are probably still doing 2 Gs or so ...
but being upside down, staring at the ground trough a clear canopy, staring
at fields and rooftops, 3000 feet below, suspended at 2 Gs after pulling
real hard ...

I don't know how to describe it. Sitting on a cloud in the sky maybe? Well
.... there were no clouds that day... unless you consider a little monstrous
260 hp plane ... a cloud.

The top of the loop is the best part. The energy of the plane, spent on the
climb .. but not enough to let you stall. Just enough to slowly and gently
pull through and start the descent ... you just need to let the nose drop
down.

then the nose comes down again and here comes another pull harder than the
first ... and we are out of it. Straight and level again.

Wow. Amazing.

This is my first loop.

I was supposed to be sick. I was supposed to be scared. I am whooping like a
madman instead. Bruce asks me if we are ok. I say yes. He will ask that
question once more but that's it. After all the whooping and yipeeing it's
pretty obvious I am doing ok.

In fact ... he joins me. 'Isn't this fun?' he screams 'YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH'
.... is my obvious answer.

Yeah, we are having fun. so ... this is what it was all about. I didn't
learn to fly ... to fly a plane. I learned to fly ... to get here. Now. To
fly a Pitts. To do loops.

Everything else is not flying ... it's just Department Of Transportation.

Bruce tells me to try one myself.

I try the first one and I try to do it the way I learned how to do it
playing IL2 Sturmovik, back in the day when I was addicted to videogames.

I pull (following his instructions to pull harder) and the plane goes up.

It's so easy.

Lemme tell you something about this plane's controls. It's a stick. But you
don't need much to yank on it.

In fact, throughtout all this flying, I have been using two fingers to move
it. I rest my right forearm on my right thigh and I simply use my wrist and
my finger to move the stick around.

Pulling on the stick is simply a matter of moving it back. It goes back with
little resistance but with incredible effects on the plane.

Regulating and measuring how much to pull back is very easy. You just feel
it. A bit more and you can feel your guts drop down on ya.

The exilarating part is the ABSOLUTE control you have. You wanna pull more?
Easy. Move the stick back a little.

So I start pulling up and since there's only sky in front of me now, I
glance left and right quickly to make sure I am not rotating or banking,
until i reach the top ... and again I get that wonderful feeling of sitting
on a cloud.

Now i know why all these crazy guys wanna do aerobatics.

Once I see the ground over my canopy, I simply select an imaginary line
connecting points of reference on the ground and drag the nose of the plane
over them, until I am out of the loop.

Oustanding!

I just did my first loop ... and there was nothing to it. I wouldn't think I
pulled more than 4 Gs to do it.

I glance to the G-Meter.

5 ... and change.

5? 5Gs???? I just pulled 5 Gs????

From that moment on ... it's all downhill.

We do a bunch of other manouvers. We do rolls. I try them by myself and
those are one hell of a blast.

The first time he tried it, it felt weird being inverted ... but when i did
it myself ... when I rolled the plane inverted, it was a whole different
story.

It is incredibly different when you are at the controls and you are snapping
the plane around.

I can totally see how I could like this ... and still hate rollercoasters.
It's totally different. Apples and oranges.

I am doing this. I am controlling this. I am whipping the plane around. I am
not getting whipped around by a mechanism on a wildly colored train full of
screaming kids.

I ask Bruce to let me do some more loops. And he agrees to it. Yeah ..
that's right. I asked for MORE. And I got it! I just couldn't stop having
enough of loops. I do a couple loops on my own and I would go on all day if
I could.

We do a few more things ... including going inverted. Which was the last
manouver and it was incredible. Again you get to stare at the ground in a
way ... not many people do. Hanging upside down directly on top of
somebody's crop. I can see pieces of straws and grass fall off from my shoes
towards the canopy ... it's so wild feeling the pull of being upside down.

The way back is uneventful and if anything ... i feel full of regret. Regret
i have to leave this. I have to go back to the ground ... to my slow life.
To my slow, un-loopable, plane.

End of the day?

-2Gs, +5Gs.

I didn't come apart. There's nothing to it ... just pure, unadulterated,
brilliant fun.

I took some pics of the pitts and Wings Field NJ, on the ground.

You can see them here at the bottom of my post, in my forum

http://www.thepilotlounge.com/yaf/De...g=posts&t=1824

--
Marco Rispoli - NJ, USA / PP-ASEL
My on-line aviation community - http://www.thepilotlounge.com

Old April 12th 05, 02:07 AM
dave

Marco,
That's my citabria parked next to the pitts you flew. I can just see
the "72G" in your picture. I've spoken to your instructor a few times.
I can't say I know him but he seems to be a respected acro instructor
in the area. I'm glad you enjoyed your flight. Were you there on
Sunday or Monday? I saw someone walking around with a camera on Sunday
and said hello, was that you?

Dave
68 7ECA

Marco Rispoli wrote:
[...]

From that moment on ... it's all downhill.

Old May 17th 05, 08:23 AM
bcpj

Marco Rispoli wrote:
Marco walks to the instructor and introduces himself. Marco is already out
of his mind with terror. Rationality left the premises a long time ago.

Liked your story, Marco. My experience has been similar to yours...

I've been thinking about getting started in aerobatics as well. The cost
of renting a plane is 2 to 3 times higher here (the Netherlands) but
I'll find a way to finance it. There's no turning back now!

My introduction to aerobatics was in a Fuji 200. Not sexy at all but
capable of some entry-level aerobatics. Been flying with a former dutch
aerobatic champion so definately in capable hands. Did some aileron
rolls, spins, hammerheads and loopings. It's been 10 years since I last
took the controls of a single-engine piston so it took 'a few minutes'
to get accustomed to handling light aircraft with ****-poor performance
(I fly 737's normally). Temp. was in the high 80's so that didn't help
either. Funny, I always thought loopings were easy-peasy. "Just pull on
the stick-" sorta thing... yeah, right! My exit was 90deg. off the entry
heading! :-)

Anyway, I loved it. Didn't feel sick while I was airborne. Loved the
G's! Felt queezy afterwards but McDonalds might have been the cause of that!

Even though I know I could save myself _a lot_ of money by "teaching"
aerobatics myself, I'm going to need a suitable instructor or I'll kill
myself. At least until I can recognize and get out of- sticky situations.

Question for the experienced aerobatic pilots here; How many hrs. (on
average) would it take to get qualified on a tail-dragger (Citabria)?

Regards,

My First Flying Lesson Peter Piloting 3 April 30th 04 03:23 PM
My First Flying Lesson Peter Piloting 0 April 29th 04 02:28 PM
fs9 lesson bug? A.J.L. Simulators 2 November 5th 03 03:23 AM
Alternate planes in lesson mode? Richard Russell Simulators 2 October 10th 03 01:42 PM
FS2k2 - Aileron not working when taking IFR lesson Yad Simulators 3 July 6th 03 08:50 PM