Pitts brake fluid

Old April 24th 05, 03:22 AM
Al MacDonald

Default Pitts brake fluid

While recently doing some extended inverted time, practicing rolling out on
headings while still trying to maintain altitude, I noted some brake fluid
had leaked onto the pedals and got rather slippery. I hadn't noticed this
before, as most of my stuff so far has been positive Gs. I'm assuming the
fluid is leaking out the vent holes. Has anyone had this happen before, or
do I need to look further at my brake system? Suggestions?

Thanks,

al MacDonald

Old April 24th 05, 04:16 PM
ShawnD2112

If you have the standard installation with the cylinders attached to the
rudder pedals, you need to have a closer look at your system. There are no
weep holes inside the cockpit from which to leak. You may have a loose hose
fitting.

Shawn

Old April 25th 05, 03:43 AM
B. Jensen

Al,

Also check the fill caps on the master cylinders. Sometimes (especially
the plastic ones) they start to leak. (make sure it's not cross threaded)

The other thing to check on the master cylinders is the top part of the
cylinder itself. There is a cap which is the same circumference as the
master cylinder that screws into the main body of the master cylinder.
(It's the part that the fill cap screws into.) If is is leaking here,
you should notice fluid running down the sides of the master cylinder
after flying inverted.

I have had the same problem in the past, and by tightening the main cap
(not the fill cap) on the master cylinder, I was able to solve the
problem. Hopefully you have access panels to the master cylinders,
otherwise you will be standing on your head inside the cockpit to access
them. :-(

Good luck,

BJ

BRAKE FLUID Ventus B Soaring 9 October 17th 04 07:25 PM
Building the Po' Boy Bending Brake Veeduber Home Built 14 March 1st 04 07:15 PM
Advice on flying Pitts with Haigh Locking Tailwheel Ditch Home Built 19 January 4th 04 11:18 PM
Pitts Fly-In aerogirl Aerobatics 0 October 28th 03 12:45 AM
Pitts, Acro Sport, other to buy? Dave Swartz Aerobatics 0 September 3rd 03 03:18 PM