GPS Question.... Yet Again

Old March 14th 05, 01:36 AM
jsmith

I have over 50 hours using during the last two years, it hasn't fallen
off... yet.
The suction cup is 4-5 inches in diameter. I usually attach it to the
lower corner of the windscreen.

Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:
No problem with the suction cup falling off if you have a hard landing
or some speed bumps in the air? I was considering that option as
well.

Old March 14th 05, 02:01 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message
.. .
Ok, first off, Sorry to do this to everyone yet again.... I can not
find all the information I seek, so I ask all the experts here. I am

Mike,
Nice web site.

If I were spending $750 on a GPS it would be a reconditioned Garmin 196,

http://tinyurl.com/6b2eq

and this mount:

http://www.propellerheadpilotessentials.com/

This keeps the GPS off the yoke, out of the way, and in "plane" sight. This
is a better mount than any RAM.

The 196 now has an obstruction database for $35, and I bet you could talk
T/A into including it.

Best,
Karl

The website is something fun for me to do when I don't have enough
dollars to create lift. It is really like putting it together and
working on it. Every minute I spend working on the site reminds me of
my flight. Thanks for the compliment.

As for the GPS, the 196 is certainly a nice unit... I am just
considering all my options to unsure I get the most GPS for the least
amount of money. I am leaning towards the Airmap 500 or Airmap 1000,
but I am not totally sold yet. I wish I could find one to play around
with before I drop a pile of money for one.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old March 14th 05, 02:03 AM
houstondan

Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:
even without the data stuff, if iwant to go to some distant airport

just get the airport directory, get the long/lat and set an airplane
icon(or any of made 30 different icons) there to mark the waypoint.

set
"goto that waypoint" and you're done but for the flyin. distance,

time
to arrival. i have a list of waypoints for a lot of the local

airports.

You said something here which leads me to another question...

Does this unit calculate the distance, TTA, and show current GS and
heading?

yep...all that stuff. and altitude too but i haven't fooled with that
enough to know if i trust it. it's also waas ready and has the usual
choice of map orientation: north up, track up etc. and even a little,
very readable arrow when you're navigating to a point. i kept it in the
bag as "just in case" on the crosscountries but never used it when
studenting and now it's my backup to the 1000.

dan

Old March 14th 05, 02:37 AM
Dave

Airmap 1000 Questions:
-Is the Airmap 1000 a bit too big for a portable GPS device?

Nope

-Is the Wrist strap even worth messing with on a device this large?

Nope

-Will this GPS device receive signals reliable without use of the
external antenna?

Yes

Airmap 500 and Garmin 96 Questions:
-Sensitivity good without external antenna? (In a C172)
-Again, Is the wrist strap worth even trying? Does it get in the way?

Garmin 196
-It looks like this device has the ability to set on top of the dash
in the plane with the antenna exposed through the windscreen. So I
would imagine if left on top of the control panel an external antenna
is not necessary.

Correct

So, would an external be needed?

No

-With the previous in mind, is this device usable if left on top of
the panel?
-Can you reach up and accurately press buttons as needed?

No. not in any rough air

-Is the screen large enough to see if left sitting on top of the
Panel?

No

General Questions:
How do the GPS Yoke mounts work?

The RAM mount with the AirMap 1000 is superb

I do not own a plane and rent, so is
the Yoke Mount easibly removable,

Yes the Ram mount is easily Removed

or should I forget that idea all
together and just use a wrist strap? Does it work on a Cessna 172
without getting in the way?

Yes it does

Is the wrist strap even worth messing
with?

NO

Of the 4 GPS devices I have listed in or near my price range which is
the best all around device for the money?

The AM 1000 has by far the largest screen, useful for older eyes
and single button presses, important in Rough air

I think the most important
thing to me is the ability to acquire a signal without the use of an
external antenna. I do not want wires running through the airplane
getting in the way and interfering with the flight controls.

Additionally, I want it to be usable while flying without causing too
much distraction. By that I mean I do not want to be head down trying
to figure out what button to push to switch modes. Single button
presses to switch between functions would be ideal.

We chose the AM 1000 becauses of this...

Since I do not fly long trips a lot, battery life is not of real
concern. I would be happy with about 4-5 hours battery life.

Would be close, keep the backlight off...

Dave
Old March 14th 05, 02:51 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Dave,

Thanks for your input! So if I mount the AM1000 on the Yoke, it does
not block any of the instruments in the cockpit?

When you turn the Yoke, does the AM1000 stay vertically aligned, or
does it turn with the yoke?

Since the AM500 and AM1000 are pretty much the same unit (Except for
size) Is the extra $200 a good trade off for screen size? I have not
seen either of these units in person so I am not sure how dramatic the
difference on the screen is... I drew out two boxes that are the exact
size of the units, and the AM1000 is quite a bit bigger... I am
certainly leaning toward either the AM500 or AM1000, but trying to
justify the money in my head... If the AM500 does exactly what I
want, and the screen/button size is usable then I would be happy. If
however, the buttons are too small to be easily used during flight,
then I would be very disappointed. My currrent solution is jsut not
working... The PDA using GPS software and a CF card. It is just not
practical. How the heck am I supposed to use the little stylus during
flight... :-)

Obviously you thought the cost was worth the extra size on the
screen... I am just afraid the size of the unit would block some of
my view in the cockpit. What about using this AirMap 1000 on a
suction cup mount connected to the lower left side of the front
windscreen? Workable?

Old March 14th 05, 06:12 AM
Blanche

Garmin has a beanbag mount for the smaller portables. I keep mine
on the glareshield with a piece of anti-skid rubber velcro'd to
the bottom of the portable. There's no "head down" issue. I've
tried the portable on the yoke and really hate it because that's
where I keep the list of freqs I need.

Since Garmin has officially declared the Pilot III as discontinued
(but still supported with database) you could pick up a used one
very reasonably and use that for a while and get used to it.

Then turn around and sell it to buy something more fancy later on.

Old March 14th 05, 06:17 AM
Jonathan Sorger

I was researching the same thing 4 months ago.
Excellent suggestions from members of this group led me to purchase the
Airmap 1000.

No regrets.

No need for the external antenna (in a 172 or 152).

The screen, when mounted on the yoke does not block any of my
instruments. It looks huge in the pictures, but is a good size for the
yoke, in my opinion. Of course, I originally found myself looking at
the unit when I should have been doing my scan of both the sky and
instruments. With practice, I no longer do this.

Whatever unit you get, I highly recommend sitting in the right seat
while a friend flies and messing around with the unit. Folks told me to
play with it at home, but it's nice to do it in a moving plane.

Use of a wrist strap with the Airmap 1000 would probably result in
carpal tunnel syndrome.

I'm in the SF Bay area and find the unit telling me the actual
boundaries of airspaces to be quite useful. With the secional, I know
I'm 'close' but never actually sure of my position.

The runway guidance feature is useful when approaching an unfamiliar
airport.

Then again, I'm a new pilot with 150 or so hours.

Jonathan

In Mike 'Flyin'8' wrote:
Ok, first off, Sorry to do this to everyone yet again.... I can not
find all the information I seek, so I ask all the experts here. I am
looking for information about the units I list below to help me make a
decision.

I am in the market for a protable GPS. I am not sure which way to go,
but I can say for cerrtain the about $600 is all I want to spend.
Pretty much will settle for Grey Scale....

This means I am in the range of Airmap 1000, Airmap 500, Garmin 96, or
if I push the $'s a bit a Garmin 196 may be within reach, but I think
the wife would not be happy if I spent that much on a "toy." Though,
I have tried to be convincing that it is a life saver in the event of
emergency. Did I leave any decent units out that I should also
consider?

So.... Here are my questions...

Airmap 1000 Questions:
-Is the Airmap 1000 a bit too big for a portable GPS device?
-Is the Wrist strap even worth messing with on a device this large?
-Will this GPS device receive signals reliable without use of the
external antenna?

Airmap 500 and Garmin 96 Questions:
-Sensitivity good without external antenna? (In a C172)
-Again, Is the wrist strap worth even trying? Does it get in the way?

Garmin 196
-It looks like this device has the ability to set on top of the dash
in the plane with the antenna exposed through the windscreen. So I
would imagine if left on top of the control panel an external antenna
is not necessary. So, would an external be needed?
-With the previous in mind, is this device usable if left on top of
the panel?
-Can you reach up and accurately press buttons as needed?
-Is the screen large enough to see if left sitting on top of the
Panel?

General Questions:
How do the GPS Yoke mounts work? I do not own a plane and rent, so is
the Yoke Mount easibly removable, or should I forget that idea all
together and just use a wrist strap? Does it work on a Cessna 172
without getting in the way? Is the wrist strap even worth messing
with?

Of the 4 GPS devices I have listed in or near my price range which is
the best all around device for the money? I think the most important

Old March 14th 05, 06:19 AM
Blanche

A suggestion...

Make a cardboard cutout of each of the GPS you're investigating -- actual
size. Then take them with you next time you fly. After you preflight,
sit in the cockpit and place the cutouts in various places until you
find the most convenient & comfy place for you.

If you discover the best place is in the middle of the cockpit, in
thin air, then you know you need to figure out what type of
"arm attachment" you'll need.

Old March 14th 05, 07:48 AM
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

How do the GPS Yoke mounts work? I do not own a plane and rent, so is
the Yoke Mount easibly removable, or should I forget that idea all
together and just use a wrist strap? Does it work on a Cessna 172
without getting in the way? Is the wrist strap even worth messing
with?

I would forget about wrist straps, period. The yoke mounts from RAM (I
know they come with the Lowrances, don't know the Garmins) are excellent
and work real well in Cessnas. Also, for stick aircraft or added
felxibility, you will get a suction cup mount from Lowrance included in
the price, too. If the suction cup is well designed - and everything
from RAM is - the plane will break before it comes off.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old March 14th 05, 07:48 AM
Thomas Borchert

Mike,

I wish I could find one to play around
with before I drop a pile of money for one.

Can you say "return policy"?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)