MoGas Long Term Test: 5000 gallons and counting...

Old May 13th 05, 04:21 AM
Morgans

"Dave Stadt" wrote

Why should I move? I can get alcohol free mogas. I taxi up and they fill
my tanks. Price is only a couple of cents higher than the local filling
stations.

What state, and what airport?
--
Jim in NC

Old May 13th 05, 05:40 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...

Yes, but none in California. Plus, the gas in CA leaves the

refineries
already containing alcohol, so the ideas about using gas meant for

farm
equipment, etc., are non starters.

Grumble.

-jav

That sucks.

So move!

Why should I move? I can get alcohol free mogas. I taxi up and they fill
my tanks. Price is only a couple of cents higher than the local filling
stations.

I take it you're not in Kalifornia.

In which case, a move would be unnecessary.

Old May 13th 05, 06:36 PM
Matt Barrow

Morgans wrote:
"Dave Stadt" wrote

Why should I move? I can get alcohol free mogas. I taxi up and they

fill
my tanks. Price is only a couple of cents higher than the local

filling
stations.

What state, and what airport?

Louisiana - 4R7

Illinois - C77

The issue was the crapped up situation in California...though you still
might want to move :~)

Old May 16th 05, 01:44 AM
Jay Honeck

Today on a long cross-country flight I experimented with the "lean-find"
function on my JPI-700 EGT/CHT meter. As always, it told me to stop leaning
when my fuel flow was right around 15 GPH. (This at 5500 feet, and 23
squared.)

Using the wisdom of the group, I kept pulling the mixture back until my
FS-450 was showing around 13 gph fuel flow, watching the EGTs and CHTs like
a hawk.

Obviously everything did run hotter, but EGTs never topped 1550 degrees, and
CHTs never topped 360 degrees. This is a tad hotter than I've been
running, but the engine sounded fine, and all cylinders stabilized within
100 degrees of each other -- which is as good as it gets on my normally
aspirated O-540.

Later, climbing to 8500 feet, we pulled it back to around 12 gph, with the
same results. (We usually would run around 14 gph at that altitude.)

So, perhaps I've been wasting gas for no good reason. Thanks to all who
responded.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 05, 12:00 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck wrote:
: Obviously everything did run hotter, but EGTs never topped 1550 degrees, and
: CHTs never topped 360 degrees. This is a tad hotter than I've been
: running, but the engine sounded fine, and all cylinders stabilized within
: 100 degrees of each other -- which is as good as it gets on my normally
: aspirated O-540.

You mean 100 EGT, right? 100 CHT would be pretty horrible, and 100 EGT is
actually pretty ragged. Just for grins, try the same power and try the two different
equalization techniques of Deakin:

- Run high enough (8500 is pretty good) so you can run WOT. Back it off about 1/4" of
MP from full throttle. Cocking the throttle plate slightly like this helps mine.
- Try the carb heat... partial to full.

I've only got analog gauges and a switch to go between them (and two less
jugs). I can say that both of those techniques get my EGT's from within 50-75 degrees
of each other to within 10-25 degrees of each other (as near as I can tell on my
tiny gauge).

YMMV... I suspect the big six on a Cherokee probably has worse fuel distro
than the four in mine.

-Cory

: Later, climbing to 8500 feet, we pulled it back to around 12 gph, with the
: same results. (We usually would run around 14 gph at that altitude.)

What percent power? Just as a datapoint, I'll get about 8.5 gph at 65-70% of
180hp. Adjusted for 6 jugs would be 12.75 gph. The compression ratio doesn't matter
for fuel flow vs. percent.

: So, perhaps I've been wasting gas for no good reason. Thanks to all who
: responded.
: --
Your plugs will be even happier. No lead *or* carbon buildup.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old May 16th 05, 02:44 PM
Jay Honeck

You mean 100 EGT, right?

Yep.

- Run high enough (8500 is pretty good) so you can run WOT. Back it off
about 1/4" of
MP from full throttle. Cocking the throttle plate slightly like this
helps mine.

I discovered this technique on my own, when I found it impossible to get the
six bars on my engine analyzer to line up at full throttle. To my surprise,
pulling the MP back JUST a smidge resulted in all six bars falling neatly in
line.

YMMV... I suspect the big six on a Cherokee probably has worse fuel distro
than the four in mine.

Yeah, I've spoken with a couple of O-540 experts, and they both say that 100
degrees apart is about as good as possible with the horrible fuel
distribution of a normally aspirated Lycoming six-cylinder engine.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 16th 05, 03:48 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Jay Honeck wrote:
: YMMV... I suspect the big six on a Cherokee probably has worse fuel distro
: than the four in mine.

: Yeah, I've spoken with a couple of O-540 experts, and they both say that 100
: degrees apart is about as good as possible with the horrible fuel
: distribution of a normally aspirated Lycoming six-cylinder engine.
: --

I had a friend with an O-540 that built a fuel distribution "swirler" (like
the thing on TV). Basically, a ~4x4" piece of stainless steel. Cut 10 or so
pie-shaped wedges around a carb-outlet-sided circle scribed in it. Take those
pie-shaped wedges, bend them 70-80 degrees off the plate, and give them all a 45
degree twist. Put inline between the carb and bottom of the oil pan/intake. It got
his cylinders closer together in EGT. Of course doing such modifications on anything
other than an experimental engine/airframe would immediately cause it to crash, be
illegal, immoral, reckless, dangerous, irresponsible, as well as cause global
warming, world hunger, and eventually make the sun burn out.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *