Altimeter 3066

Old December 2nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

Default Altimeter 3066

And it may not be a perfect solution, but GPS altitude
readout may be independent of baro altitude.

"Fred G. Black" wrote in message
|M wrote:
| BTW, FAR 91.144 restricts flight operations when
barometric pressure
| exceeds 31 inch mercury. Any idea why? (note this
restriction applies
| to VFR traffic a well).
|
| The "why" is that the altimeter setting range on most
altimeters doesn't
| go past 31.00". Does anyone have an example of a NOTAM
under 91.144?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/pu...12-1.htm#12-12

| Basically it says
| - for enroute, set the altimeter to 31"
| - for IFR approaches, set the altimeter to the actual
altimeter setting
| if able, otherwise set it to 31" and adjust the altitude
minima (add
| 100' and 1/4 SM per 0.1" above 31.00")
| - aerodromes which cannot report the actual altimeter
setting are
| restricted to VFR.
| -"For aircraft operating VFR, no additional restrictions
apply; however,
| extra diligence in flight planning and in operating in
these conditions

Old December 2nd 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Jim Macklin wrote:

Using carh heat on the ground,

In cruise flight carb heat should be set to give a carb temp of approx
45-50F.
Old December 2nd 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

At the coldest place in the carb. It depends where the
probe is installed. If in the throat, then you might want
to see 100° F, if at the throttle plate /venturi, then just
solidly above freezing.

. ..

Old December 3rd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Wade Hasbrouck

"M" wrote in message
ups.com...

A very high pressure settled in Pacific NW:

KPSC 020453Z 31006KT 6SM BR BKN007 BKN075 M07/M08 A3066 RMK AO2
SLP389 T10671078

That's the highest that I've ever remember seeing.

I always thought that the NW seems to have larger pressure swings
(probably more so in Alaska). We can go from 2960 to 3060 in about two
days.

Actually got out and practiced in the pattern a little bit today with my
instructor, but since he isn't allowed to instruct in our clubs planes, we
were splitting time (we did my primary instruction through a different
club).

Altimeter setting when we started up at Renton Municipal (KRNT) was "30.64",
and remember sitting there thinking, "hmmm... I wonder if it goes that
high???" During our second trip around the pattern, they updated the ATIS
and it dropped a little bit to "30.62"

Fog was being stubborn to burn off today, as we were going to go at 10am,
but Renton was fogged in and it didn't go away until about noon, and as we
were in the patter could see there still a good deal of fog to the south.

Have to say it was nice to get out today, as it was the first time in 6
weeks that I had flown, and thought I might be kind of rusty being a sort of
low time pilot, but all of my landings were great and the base to final
turns were all pretty much right on the glide slope and on the centerline,
with the exception of the second, which I overshot the base-final turn, but
I just continued a nice coordinated turn and didn't try to rush it as I had
plenty of room to get lined up and fix the problem.

Old December 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
M[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
That is the highest pressure you can set on the Kollsman
window.

I can hardly see how it should affect VFR flights. Additionally if the
pressure is higher than 31 inch mercury and the altimeter is set to
3100, the true altitude would be higher than what's indicated by the
altimeter. For VFR flights this would almost never introduce any
problems. (Even for IFR terrain separation this allows a bigger margin
for terrain clearance).

The only problem I could think of is the mode C requirement for
altitude above 10,000 MSL, if someone flying without a mode C x-ponder,
set their altimeter to 3100, on day with pressure higher than 31"
mercury, and flying right near 10,000 feet indicated on their altimeter
:-)

Old December 3rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Wade Hasbrouck

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim Macklin wrote:
That is the highest pressure you can set on the Kollsman
window.

I can hardly see how it should affect VFR flights. Additionally if the
pressure is higher than 31 inch mercury and the altimeter is set to
3100, the true altitude would be higher than what's indicated by the
altimeter. For VFR flights this would almost never introduce any
problems. (Even for IFR terrain separation this allows a bigger margin
for terrain clearance).

The only problem I could think of is the mode C requirement for
altitude above 10,000 MSL, if someone flying without a mode C x-ponder,
set their altimeter to 3100, on day with pressure higher than 31"
mercury, and flying right near 10,000 feet indicated on their altimeter
:-)

I thought the Mode C transponder reports Pressure Altitude and is basically
fixed at 29.92?

Old December 3rd 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
J. Severyn

"M" wrote in message
oups.com...

I can hardly see how it should affect VFR flights.

Well pattern altitudes might be one problem. How about easterly/westerly
odd/even +500 altitudes?

John Severyn
@KLVK

Old December 3rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
M[_1_]

So everybody fly their pattern 100 ft higher than normal. Big deal.

As long as everyone all max out their Kollsman's window at 3100 in the
same vacinity, even/odd +500 altitude would be just fine. You still
have the same vertical separation. Plus, VFR is see and avoid.
even/odd +500 altitude doesn't really do much separation when someone
flying magnetic course 001 converge with someone flying course magnetic
179, all legally at odd+500 VFR altitude and only 2 degree off from a
head-on.

J. Severyn wrote:
oups.com...