XC-Soar

Old January 25th 09, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default XC-Soar

Does anybody know how to load the maps with .xcm extension?
My map display page layout is completly different from that described
in the 5.1.2 manual and only allows selection of topology and terrain
files, it will not allow selection of .xcm.

there must be a way of doing it, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

As a newbie I must say the Designers and Implementers have gone to a
great deal of trouble to make it complicated! We need a plain brand
stripped version for those who want to fly and not spend all time
poking buttons etc.
Mike
Old January 25th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Jan 25, 4:25*am, wrote:
Does anybody know how to load the maps with .xcm extension?
My map display page layout is completly different from that described
in the 5.1.2 manual and only allows selection of topology and terrain
files, it will not allow selection of .xcm.

there must be a way of doing it, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

As a newbie I must say the Designers and Implementers have gone to a
great deal of trouble to make it complicated! We need a plain brand
stripped version for those who want to fly and not spend all time
poking buttons etc.
Mike

Mike -

Much of the complication is due to the fact that XCSoar is programmed
to run on a bunch of different devices with different types of
interfaces (keyboards, scroll-wheels, touch-screens, etc). It is also
the nature of "Open Source" projects to be as flexible as possible -
which, yes, means that there are sometimes too many configuration
screens and such.

Here's how to get an XCM map to work:

1) Download the latest version of XCSoar for your system (5.1.2 is
pretty out-of-date at this point)

2) Make/download your XCM map. Put it into the "My Documents/
XCSoarData" folder on your PDA.

3) Start XCSoar in "Sim" mode on your PDA.

4) Bring up the menu (double-tap on most touchscreens), choose
"Config", choose "Config" again, then "Setup System"

5) Under "Map File", pick the XCM file you put onto the PDA in step
2.

The setting should "stick" for both SIM mode and FLY mode.

Enjoy!

--Noel

Old January 26th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 26, 10:02*am, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:25*am, wrote:

[...]

Noel,
Thank you for your reply. I have the latest version, loaded it two
days ago.
In the latest version, on setup page2: Map Display there is no field
labelled Map File.

there are two fields labelled: Terrain display: and Topology display.
Neither of these fields "see" the .xcm file to select it. The .xcm
file is in the XC-Soar directory.
What page of Setup is the Map File field located, I have looked at all
of them and cannot find it.
Regards,
Mike
Old January 26th 09, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Salmon[_2_]

Cannot understand what is happening. For many of the latest versions the
map file selection is the top item on Menu-Config-Config-Setup System-
page 1 Site. This shows selection boxes near the bottom for Terrain and
Topology files, but if an xcm file is used, these are left blank. Terrain
and Topology also appear on page 4 Terrain Display, so that you can turn
them On or Off..
You can at the bottom of the Config pages switch between Expert or Basic.
The latter cuts out many options.
However my manual which is for 5.12a shows the Configuration as above, so
it has not changed since then. Currently using 5.19 Beta6.
Dave

At 00:16 26 January 2009, wrote:
On Jan 26, 10:02=A0am, "noel.wade" wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:25=A0am, wrote:

Does anybody know how to load the maps with .xcm extension?
My map display page layout is completly different from that

described
in the 5.1.2 manual and only allows selection of topology and

terrain
files, it will not allow selection of .xcm.

there must be a way of doing it, but I'm blowed if I can find it.

As a newbie I must say the Designers and Implementers have gone to a
great deal of trouble to make it complicated! We need a plain brand
stripped version for those who want to fly and not spend all time
poking buttons etc.
Mike

Mike -

Much of the complication is due to the fact that XCSoar is programmed
to run on a bunch of different devices with different types of
interfaces (keyboards, scroll-wheels, touch-screens, etc). =A0It is

also
the nature of "Open Source" projects to be as flexible as possible -
which, yes, means that there are sometimes too many configuration
screens and such.

Here's how to get an XCM map to work:

1) Download the latest version of XCSoar for your system (5.1.2 is
pretty out-of-date at this point)

2) Make/download your XCM map. =A0Put it into the "My Documents/

Old January 26th 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jan 25, 4:25=A0am, wrote:

[...]

Mike- Hide quoted text -

If you haven't already done it, join the XCSoar Forum (search XCSoar
Nabble). The developers are on the forum, and very helpful.