Michigan (UP) KSAW winds ??

Old September 6th 04, 03:51 PM
Mitty

On 9/5/04 4:39 PM, Steven P. McNicoll wrote the following:

"Mitty" wrote in message

The runway is effectively 300' wide

Really? Plates say 150.

When the USAF owned it the runways were 300' wide. Now they're 150' wide
with 75' paved shoulders. Half the pavement to maintain and plow that way.
At Kincheloe/Chippewa County they abandoned the south mile or so of runway
completely and reduced the width of the rest to 200'.

Interesting ... that will be the biggest runway I've ever landed on! I
told my wife that the runway was 150' and she was a bit skeptical as she
has flown in there commercial and thought it looked bigger. Now we know
why.
Old September 6th 04, 05:22 PM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 09:17:11 -0400, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:39:30 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Mitty" wrote in message

The runway is effectively 300' wide

Really? Plates say 150.

When the USAF owned it the runways were 300' wide. Now they're 150' wide
with 75' paved shoulders. Half the pavement to maintain and plow that way.
At Kincheloe/Chippewa County they abandoned the south mile or so of runway
completely and reduced the width of the rest to 200'.

We ended up with one of their snow plows, or rather blowers. The
thing can take the snow off the runway and put it over the taxiways.
I think we've only had one major snow storm since then.

Did the blower blow so hard that it blew all the storms away? :-)

I guess that could be used as well and any other reason:-))
The first time they plowed out, they made a pass down a taxiway and
then over to the runway. They discovered they were putting all the
snow back on the taxiway.

I think if they really tired they could take the snow off the taxiway
for 18/36 and put it out in the road.

Our weather here in Central Michigan has changed greatly over the last
50 years. We seldom get the big snows that were once common. They
measure the length of Winter weather by the time some lakes remain
frozen. In the last 50 years we have gained almost 5 weeks of warm
weather (that's warm by Michigan Standards, not Florida's)

Another indication is the first snows.
When I was a teen we'd have 8 to 10 inches of snow around the first
day of Pheasant hunting season. (October 15 or 20th). Now it's rare to
see snow, other than some flurries or a very light covering by
December.
OTOH we seem to have a lot more tornados although they tend to be on
the weak side.

In the 50's and 60's 5 and 6 foot drifts were not uncommon. I have
some photos of our cars being completely covered in the driveway (when
I lived out in the country by Breckenridge about 30 miles SW of here)
and those cars were far larger than most of today's. The last time I
saw drifts that deep was in 1984.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Matt

Old September 7th 04, 06:17 PM
Defly

I'm planning a trip to the Upper Peninsula in about a month, so I've
begun looking at charts. We'll be landing at Marquette, Escanaba,
Menominee, and Houghton. Or that's the plan anyway.

Marquette/Sawyer KSAW has one runway, 2 1/2 miles long x 150' pointed
1/19. Now the collective wisdom of airport designers in this part of
the country is that, if you have only one runway, you do it like 14/32
or 12/34. But I have to believe that whoever committed to 2 1/2 miles
of concrete -- out in the woods where he could have pointed it wherever
he wanted -- must have looked at prevailing winds. So are the winds
different because of the lake? I don't particularly want to divert from
there just because my little PA-28 can't handle a crosswind, although
there are several easy places to go.

SAW was - at least when I was going to school in Marquette in the '70's - a
B-52 base. (Those guys partied like college kids!) Don't BUFFs have that funky
castoring crosswind landing gear? If I recall, the wind was usually out of the
north. I just flew over there on the way to Houghton a couple of months back
and saw several GA planes on the ground. NWA flies in and out of there
regularly - I don't think you'll have too much trouble.
Old September 7th 04, 09:12 PM
Everett M. Greene

Roger Halstead writes:
[snip]
In the 50's and 60's 5 and 6 foot drifts were not uncommon. I have
some photos of our cars being completely covered in the driveway (when
I lived out in the country by Breckenridge about 30 miles SW of here)
and those cars were far larger than most of today's. The last time I
saw drifts that deep was in 1984.

And I'll bet you had to walk five miles each way to and from
school through these snows and it was uphill with the wind
(howling, of course) in your face both directions. :-)