Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

Old July 22nd 10, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Keith Willshaw[_5_]

Default Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?

"Garry O" wrote in message
u...
"John Doe" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
John Doe wrote:
Orval Fairbairn o_r_fairbairn earth_link.net wrote:

The model airplane guys have a very small (about 15" long, 5"
dia) turbojet that they use on scale jet R/C planes. It costs
about $3000 US.

How much for maintenance and fuel?

It burns a quart of fuel in a minute or minute and a half.

Is it louder than a gas powered weedeater? Just curious.

Deafening.

100,000 RPM with every harmonic ever invented.

I think they missed the lower sub harmonics, but who can hear
over that racket?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxT5H...eature=related

Some backpack fan powered paragliding. Looks like so
much fun, but dangerous.

--
Thanks to the replies.

I would imagine less dangerous than trying to in-line skate with one of
those things on :-)

There was a rocket powered roller skater back in the 70's

http://www.the-rocketman.com/capt-rollerball.html

Keith

Old July 22nd 10, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Yanik

"Garry O" wrote in
u:

"John Doe" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

this powered-skater thing reminds me of the rocket-powered street luge.
(used Aerotech APCP rocket motors.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 22nd 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dean

On Jul 22, 8:49*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Garry O" wrote .au:

"John Doe" wrote in message
. ..
Dan wrote:

cavelamb wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

The whole concept sounds like a qualification entry for a Darwin
Award.

Dean
Old July 22nd 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Wilkins

On Jul 21, 8:57*pm, John Doe wrote:
How far-fetched is the idea, to use a propeller or jet engine
(radio controlled type?) to push an in-line skater? ...

Diesel engines with treads:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/...ead_skates.jpg

jsw
Old July 22nd 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe[_4_]

Dean damarkley gmail.com wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Garry O" wrote
"John Doe" wrote
Dan wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
John Doe wrote:
Orval Fairbairn o_r_fairbairn earth_link.net wrote:

The model airplane guys have a very small (about 15"
long, 5" dia) turbojet that they use on scale jet R/C
planes. It costs about $3000 US.

How much for maintenance and fuel?

It burns a quart of fuel in a minute or minute and a half.

Is it louder than a gas powered weedeater? Just curious.

Deafening.

100,000 RPM with every harmonic ever invented.

I think they missed the lower sub harmonics, but who can
hear over that racket?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxT5H...eature=related

Some backpack fan powered paragliding. Looks like so much
fun, but dangerous.

I would imagine less dangerous than trying to in-line skate
with one of those things on :-)

It would be a riot, somewhere around 250 cc I guess, apparently
more than necessary. Also maybe too heavy.

this powered-skater thing reminds me of the rocket-powered
street luge. (used Aerotech APCP rocket motors.)

The whole concept sounds like a qualification entry for a Darwin
Award.

I have many years experience inline street skating, and designing
and building stuff. Street skating, on narrow or uneven sidewalks,
up and down curbs, and on rough streets presents a unique
opportunity for invention. Sail powered skating would be good if
not for the restriction of movement, that is similar to ordinary
pushing. Propeller powered skating is attractive because of
surface traction difficulties. There would be no need to pull
something, like a push stick, up a curb. Flexibility in motion is
a great asset of rough street skating, and propeller power would
allow for excellent freedom of motion. I mainly need to know how
propeller power compares to ordinary motor and wheel against the
ground propulsion.
--

See also Google Groups

Dean

Old July 22nd 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

Jim Wilkins wrote:

John Doe wrote:

How far-fetched is the idea, to use a propeller or jet engine
(radio controlled type?) to push an in-line skater? ...

Diesel engines with treads:
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/...ead_skates.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Sloping upwards in front would help too.
I have mentioned that possibility with my big front wheel skates,
but had not seen any attempt like that. Skating over rough terrain
has many possibilities.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3056505603/
--

jsw

Old July 22nd 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
cavelamb[_2_]

John Doe wrote:
Dean damarkley gmail.com wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Garry O" wrote
"John Doe" wrote
Dan wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

since you have experience in designing and building stuff, why not
just and do and report back.

If you can...

Dean nailed it.

--

Richard Lamb

Old July 22nd 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe[_4_]

cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:
Dean damarkley gmail.com wrote:
Jim Yanik jya... abuse.gov wrote:
"Garry O" ifuneedituwillge... home.com wrote
"John Doe" j... usenetlove.invalid wrote
Dan B24... aol.com wrote:
cavelamb wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

Possible, but I would post the results in the skating group.

If you can...

Apparently you are choosing to troll before reading.
It has already been done, and tested.

Dean nailed it.

Says a silly troll?

Simply saying someone/something is "stupid" is the lamest insult
known to mankind.

Richard Lamb

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:18:30 -0500
From: cavelamb cavelamb earthlink.net
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt,free. UseNet
Subject: Propeller or jet to push an in-line skater?
References: 4c479785$0$4752$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com l6OdnXpB6OmOPNrRnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d giganews.com o_r_fairbairn-E87157.23144421072010 70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net 4c47bb7a$0$8726$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com _qednaqEVc1sIdrRnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d earthlink.com obadnZyJBemBXdrRnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d giganews.com 4c47c204$0$9831$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com 4c4827f6$0$14497$afc38c87 news.optusnet.com.au Xns9DBD59E431D62jyaniklocalnetcom 216.168.3.44 12d84862-6957-4c46-9aee-2701863013ba l14g2000yql.googlegroups.com 4c48a6f2$0$21146$c3e8da3 news.astraweb.com

Old July 23rd 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Wilkins

On Jul 22, 9:31*am, Dean wrote:

The whole concept sounds like a qualification entry for a Darwin
Award.

Dean

The perpetrator of the car embedded in the cliff posted the full story
once on rec.crafts.metalworking. No one was injured, the rocket car
was rolling unmanned down an old mining railroad at maybe 60 MPH and
when their crude brakes failed it slid into the tunnel entrance, which
collapsed on it. The skid marks at the corner are from when they
bugged out afterwards, they are actually from driving full-throttle
onto the pavement from the sand. They had plowed the sand off the
tracks and it probably blew back and hid them before the wrecker
arrived.

jsw
Old July 23rd 10, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Clear

In article ,
John Doe wrote:
How far-fetched is the idea, to use a propeller or jet engine
(radio controlled type?) to push an in-line skater? How does
aircraft takeoff thrust compare to using a conventional motor and
wheel to push oneself along the ground? What sort of incline would
be achievable at say a skater weight of about 160 pounds? I think
the rolling resistance can be assumed to be zero or maybe the same
as a small aircraft.

Years ago (maybe late 1990s) one of those 'whacky invention' type
TV shows featured a guy with jet engines mounted on the tails of
his skis. No need for a chair lift, he'd just ski uphill.

So it has been done, just make sure your life insurance is paid up.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Just push the blue button! Darkwing Piloting 71 October 20th 08 04:12 PM
PUSH START stanley adelson Aviation Photos 0 July 15th 08 01:16 AM
Push to Talk Switch Jackal24 Piloting 23 December 26th 04 10:01 PM
Question about center-line push-pull engine configuration Shin Gou Home Built 4 June 7th 04 05:57 PM
Young Eagles push (USA) John H. Campbell Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 03:48 PM