CBS "News" strikes AGAIN

Old January 26th 04, 07:30 PM
Paul Sengupta

Blimey, that's huge! I thought teachers were supposed to be
poorly paid! I didn't earn that much until having worked about
7 or 8 years as a professional engineer.

It's more than a doctor's starting salary here and quite a bit
more than an engineer's starting salary.

In fact, here in the UK, my (younger) cousin, who's a teacher,
has just got a job for £6k a year more than me. I've been an
engineer (in the same company) (no prizes for guessing which,
look at my e-mail address!) since 1992.

Paul

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
A starting teacher in Fairfax County gets $35,813

Old January 26th 04, 09:12 PM
John Galban

"Geoffrey Barnes" wrote in message hlink.net...
Is there any topic on this NG that does not eventually turn into a debate on
either public education or gun control?

Sure there is. Head on over to "Kerry is a Pilot?" for a debate on
presidential politics.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 26th 04, 10:36 PM
Dude

I do know that until education has a chance to be run by educators, and
not
elected common folk, and they have the ability to raise funds as they feel
they are needed, we are all in for a long struggle. One fix as you

propose,
will not fix everything.

Wow, so one fix will not fix it, unless its putting educators totally in
charge with unlimited funding. With answers like that, why have an open
mind? If only I was your AP, I could afford a new plane.

As for namelessness, if you judge something on its merits - you have no need
to consider its source.

Old January 26th 04, 10:38 PM
Dude

AND, many of them get a pension instead of a contributory retirement plan.
How do they value that in those surveys?

Old January 26th 04, 11:26 PM
Margy Natalie

Dude wrote:

Margy,

I must challenge this statement:

"Contray to the uninformed opinion of other posters teachers really do study
how
minds work."

I was with you all the way until I got to this one. Either your positive
attitude, or an unusually positive series of coincidences has shaded your
judgement on the interest in childrens' minds held by many teachers today.
I am not uninformed. A close personal friend of mine is a public school
teacher, and I attended several public and private schools. Unlike many
people, I have a good memory of what transpired.

Actually I'm probably influenced by my district and make some assumptions based
on that. New teachers will have studied about the brain and how kids learn (or
they should have). My district and my administration offer a number of
in-service opportunities to keep up to date. I probably study it more as I'm a
special ed teacher.

.

I suppose that your experience with such a gifted child has led you to have
better teachers.

Can't quite parse this sentence. I would say dealing with cognitively impaired
students makes better teachers as you have to try so many things to get the
information to sink in.

Teaching the bright kids takes more energy and talent than
many of today's teachers have.

Nah, dealing with the bright kids parents takes the energy. The kids can be
lots of fun.

Margy

Old January 27th 04, 02:40 AM
Dude

I suppose that your experience with such a gifted child has led you to

have
better teachers.

Can't quite parse this sentence. I would say dealing with cognitively

impaired
students makes better teachers as you have to try so many things to get

the
information to sink in.

What I meant was that since you have an exceptional child, who has been in
special programs, you may not be seeing the same quality of teacher on
average that others do. But, as you said, it could be you are in a better
district.

Old January 27th 04, 05:46 AM
Roger Halstead

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:30:18 -0000, "Paul Sengupta"
wrote:

Blimey, that's huge! I thought teachers were supposed to be
poorly paid! I didn't earn that much until having worked about
7 or 8 years as a professional engineer.

It all depends on where you go.
Here in Central Michigan you currently could expect to see starting
salaries of maybe $25,000, but with a top around $60,000. That varies
widely between adjacent school districts.

OTOH, my ex wife's sister and her sister's husband both taught in the
inner city of Detroit over 20 years ago. Rumor has it they were making
on the order of $50,000 back then. OTOH that may have been hazardous
duty pay :-)) I do remember they were making over twice the top
salaries most any where else in the state.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 27th 04, 10:28 PM
Peter Gottlieb

You must have gone to a public school which had gun control laws to have
even thought of asking that question.

Old January 28th 04, 05:52 AM
Dave Buckles

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

You must have gone to a public school which had gun control laws to have
even thought of asking that question.

Would that make him a Nazi?

--Dave

--
Dave Buckles

http://www.flight-instruction.com
Old January 28th 04, 01:36 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
ET wrote:

My wife is a teacher, and while I would love for her to earn more, if you
take her salary and divide it by number of days worked, she does very
well indeed. To compare teacher salaries per year to other occupations
leaves out the summers, holidays, etc....

....how many hours week does she work? How much time does she put in in
the evenings and weekends doing teacher work? Don't forget to factor that
into your math.

Even though she makes less than 40K, she still makes well over $200 per
day that she actually works....

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/