Why GA is Dying

Old July 23rd 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Why GA is Dying

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

You certainly come across as an anarchist, or a juvenile, I'm not sure
which not knowing your age.

Matt

No, I come across as someone who is terrified about the state of our
current government. At least one person has picked up on that. I can't
help your lack of reading comprehension. Are you American?

100%. However, I'm not a paranoid American.

Matt
Old July 23rd 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , "me" wrote:

I have a feeling that the people who complain the most about the fences or
the locks on the doors are the ones who don't own an aircraft that they want
protected from any kind of harm..

I'm an aircraft owner. The fences and locks are idiotic. Anyone who thinks
that they actually enhance security is an idiot.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old July 23rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Matt Whiting wrote:
Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

You certainly come across as an anarchist, or a juvenile, I'm not
sure which not knowing your age.

Matt

No, I come across as someone who is terrified about the state of our
current government. At least one person has picked up on that. I
can't help your lack of reading comprehension. Are you American?

100%. However, I'm not a paranoid American.

Matt

Then you're part of the problem. History has shown what happens when
the people just roll over for the government.
Old July 23rd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

You certainly come across as an anarchist, or a juvenile, I'm not
sure which not knowing your age.

Matt

No, I come across as someone who is terrified about the state of our
current government. At least one person has picked up on that. I
can't help your lack of reading comprehension. Are you American?

100%. However, I'm not a paranoid American.

Matt

Then you're part of the problem. History has shown what happens when
the people just roll over for the government.

Only to the paranoid.

Matt
Old July 23rd 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Matt Whiting wrote:
Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

You certainly come across as an anarchist, or a juvenile, I'm not
sure which not knowing your age.

Matt

No, I come across as someone who is terrified about the state of our
current government. At least one person has picked up on that. I
can't help your lack of reading comprehension. Are you American?

100%. However, I'm not a paranoid American.

Matt

Then you're part of the problem. History has shown what happens when
the people just roll over for the government.

Only to the paranoid.

Matt

Obviously we disagree on this. Keep your head in the sand, it seems to
have worked for you so far.
Old July 23rd 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Emily wrote:

100%. However, I'm not a paranoid American.

Matt

Then you're part of the problem. History has shown what happens when
the people just roll over for the government.

So those are my two choices? Paranoid or a push over? I think not.
Old July 23rd 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Matt Whiting wrote:
It is obvious that you haven't yet learned to think on your own and
probably are still living with your parents.

You've now posted several personal attacks against Emily. She correctly
understood the law in one of her anecdotes and yet was attacked for
defending her rightful actions. I've posted elsewhere information that
supports her position. Your attack posts are self-referentially absurd and
I'm surprised you don't realize how this comes across.
Old July 23rd 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jake Brodsky

Security at airports is a tightrope walk. If you're on some rural
airfield, security is really just a matter of knowing who your neighbors
are and who should or shouldn't be entering their airplane.

At larger municipal airports, the key concern is that you may not be
able to know who the folks around you are, so some form of fence and
perhaps a combination lock system is probably appropriate.

I've always been of the opinion that the best security one could buy at
an airport is a regular picnic or cookout where the folks can socialize
and meet the other folks at the airport. Then you're all looking out
for each other because that's what you'd do anyway.

Being anonymous in a very public major city airport can lead to
draconian measures for security because nobody knows you, yet you may
have every reason for being there.

I would never introduce a newcomer to aviation by taking them to an
international airport.

Meanwhile, small private fields are disappearing day by day as the land
around them gets developed for more exurban sprawl. The reason aviation
is dying is the same reason that farming is disappearing. It's gotten
too efficient at what it does and now there are all sorts of regulations
and restrictions as fewer and fewer people are graduating with technical
aspirations in mind. We're becoming victims of our own success.

It's basically a war of mediocrity against those with smarts. And the
moguls of mediocrity are winning. Sigh.

Jake Brodsky
Old July 23rd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Private

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

Emily wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote:

You certainly come across as an anarchist, or a juvenile, I'm not sure
which not knowing your age.

Matt

No, I come across as someone who is terrified about the state of our
current government. At least one person has picked up on that. I
can't help your lack of reading comprehension. Are you American?

100%. However, I'm not a paranoid American.

Matt

Then you're part of the problem. History has shown what happens when the
people just roll over for the government.

Only to the paranoid.

Matt

There was a time when people who thought that they were being watched by
government were dismissed and called paranoid.

What do you call those people who KNOW that they are being watched?
What do you call the watchers?

The threats to our freedoms do NOT come from outside our borders.

Old July 23rd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I have a friend who is a lawyer [not a sue the rich whore]
and now a state Senator. His favorite saying is, "Just
because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching
you."

Everywhere you go, there are recording video cameras. The
corner store has cameras aimed the doors and each cash
register. The clerks think this is their security, it is
just so they can a. keep the clerks from stealing and 2.
catch the robber who killed the clerk.
On the street they have cameras at intersections, to
identify speeders, stop light running, and track movements
by terrorists. It also raises revenue for those stop lights
run, since the get the driver's face and the vehicle make,
model, color and tag number.

Security on an airport means you check everybody without
insulting or offending anybody "differently" from anybody
else. So you can't profile Arab young men in groups, but
you just randomly search everybody, the wounded vet, the
Congressman, the pilots [airline crew], the baby in
diapers.Just don't allow the screeners to be accused of
discrimination.

What about a van or truck two miles from the airport, with a
shoulder launched missile? What about the unexpected attack
on a small town, that only has two part-time policemen.
Terror is about making every place seem too dangerous and
you can't protect everywhere with official police and
guards.

That's where citizens come in, report, approach and ask "Can
I help you?" Would you like to learn to fly, I've got an
application, here's a pen. You should be friendly and catch
hints wile they're off guard.

Obvious bomb making stuff does not look like sticks of
dynamite, lots of things explode, burn or poison. Get some
training from your police on what to look for and what is
proper near any important area. A car or truck parked in a
no parking zone, or abandoned in a tunnel or under a bridge.

There is no Jack Bauer or Casey Ryback and Columbo and The
Lone Ranger are fiction too.

Be polite works both ways, a cop who is polite can detect
evasion and motives, a polite person will get help and not a
roust.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P