IFR to Chandler AZ (Phoenix area)

Old August 17th 04, 01:16 AM
S. Sherman

Default IFR to Chandler AZ (Phoenix area)

Hello,

I'm relatively new to IFR (got the rating in Jan.) and also have never
flown into the Arizona area.

I'll be flying from the San Diego area into Chandler (CHD) and I want
to do the flight IFR. I have some questions:

1. Does ATC normally route you to CHD using one of the PHX STARs? I
did not see any that were really applicable to a non turbojet coming
into CHD from the west. What can I expect?

2. I expect clear skies when I arrive so I don't expect to need the
VOR approach (although I could to it for practice). Will they
normally just clear me for the visual or should I cancel IFR when
close?

3. What can I expect leaving CHD under IFR as far as routing is
concerned?

Thanks!

-Stacy
Old August 17th 04, 05:26 AM
Jens Krueger

S. Sherman wrote:

1. Does ATC normally route you to CHD using one of the PHX STARs? I
did not see any that were really applicable to a non turbojet coming
into CHD from the west. What can I expect?

Expect nothing. Just file what you think works and ATC will give you
your clearence. And even that might change right after take-off. Trying
to "guess" what might happen isn't going to work. Just be prepared for
whatever routing they might give you. If you can't fly it, say unable.
ATC will help you, don't worry.

2. I expect clear skies when I arrive so I don't expect to need the
VOR approach (although I could to it for practice). Will they
normally just clear me for the visual or should I cancel IFR when
close?

If you can see the field they will give you a visual. But you can still
request the practise approach if you want to. Good for currency.

3. What can I expect leaving CHD under IFR as far as routing is
concerned?

See 1. ;-)

Cheers,
jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.
Old August 17th 04, 08:03 PM
S. Sherman

Jens & Mike,

Thanks for your responses. Yeah I realize that ATC could change on me
at any time but it does seem like you get the same thing MOST of the
time. At least for arrival and departure.

A little history on this, I was flying out of Long Beach, CA IFR for
the first time and they gave me a really complicated departure
procedure that took me 3 tries to write down. It's a fairly big
airport but it's only in class D and I didn't think to look up SIDs.
After I got home I looked and found out that what he gave me was one
of the SIDs. It could have saved me and the clearance guy some grief
if I had looked it up beforehand and knew what to expect.

Since CHD is close to PHX, I wanted to know if they normally give you
one of the published STARs or SIDs.

Thanks for your help!

-Stacy

(MT) wrote in message . com...
(S. Sherman) wrote in message . com...

Hello,

I'm relatively new to IFR (got the rating in Jan.) and also have never
flown into the Arizona area.

I'll be flying from the San Diego area into Chandler (CHD) and I want
to do the flight IFR. I have some questions:

I have flown this route many times IFR.

1. Does ATC normally route you to CHD using one of the PHX STARs? I
did not see any that were really applicable to a non turbojet coming
into CHD from the west. What can I expect?

You can expect radar vectors to KCHD past GBN.

2. I expect clear skies when I arrive so I don't expect to need the
VOR approach (although I could to it for practice). Will they
normally just clear me for the visual or should I cancel IFR when
close?

Phoenix approach will clear you for the visual, you can request a
published approach.

3. What can I expect leaving CHD under IFR as far as routing is
concerned?

You will get the published departure procedure, then radar vectors to
GBN.

Mike

Thanks!

-Stacy

Old August 17th 04, 11:32 PM
Bob Gardner

Subject to the usual caveats that practices differ from one place to
another, I think that you can forget about getting a STAR by name. You may
find yourself flying the radials at a much lower altitude than the folks the
STAR was designed for.

Bob Gardner

Old August 19th 04, 03:07 AM
Jens Krueger

S. Sherman wrote:

(I got a server error first time I tried to post this. Hope it
doesn't post twice).

It did. ;-)

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.
Old August 19th 04, 03:07 AM
Jens Krueger

S. Sherman wrote:

Since CHD is close to PHX, I wanted to know if they normally give you
one of the published STARs or SIDs.

It's always good to expect those since they save both you and the
controllers work. So a controller (or better: the computer) will almost
always issue one if it makes sense for your routing. But you can always
file with "No SID/STARS" in the remarks of your flight plan if you're
not comfortable with them.

Cheers,
Jens

--
I don't accept any emails right now. Usenet replys only.