Compass trouble

Old April 19th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_19_]

Default Compass trouble

For this very reason...

I LOVE top posters!

Dave (and I trim too!)

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 11:21:27 GMT, Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-19, Jay Somerset wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:48:40 -0700, "RST Engineering"

---Snip---
There are folks around here who refuse to trim at all. I use a 43-line
terminal window to read Usenet with, and when it's full of stuff quoted 7
layers deep, I just hit N and go to the next message.

Posting like that just gives ammunition to those who argue that people
should adopt the equally abhorrent practice of top-posting.

Old April 19th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

On 2008-04-19, Jay Somerset wrote:
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:48:40 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:
Do you really have to quote a hundred lines of previous text for a four
line
answer?

There are folks around here who refuse to trim at all. I use a 43-line
terminal window to read Usenet with, and when it's full of stuff quoted 7
layers deep, I just hit N and go to the next message.

Apparently your curiosity got the best of you since you bothered to not only
scroll through to find the 4 new lines of text but also (roughly) counted
the quoted text.

Some post on top. Some post at the bottom. Some trim. Some don't.

Using a mouse wheel to scroll works pretty well. There have been times when
people trim excessively and I have to go find a past post that didn't trim
to refresh my memory as to the context. I would rather have excessive
quoting that requires a fraction of a second to scroll past than excessive
trimming that makes me unfilter read articles, find the thread in the long
list, re-find my position in the thread and then find a post that has enough
context to be useful.

Email threads are typically top post oriented. That makes it much simpler,
doesn't it? The new text is right at the top and the rest is an easy scroll
away but easily ignored.

It seems that the phylosophy to bottom post is causing the problem. Bottom
posting makes all the intermediate text get in the way and trimming becomes
the curtious thing to do. Just top post and leave it all there. When the
thread gets too long, it's probably time to move on to something else
anyway.

I have been bottom posting and trimming just to go along with the vocal few
that seem to get all bent out of shape otherwise. After thinking about, I
think I'll start top posting.

Of course, mixed top and bottom does get a little confusing...

--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old April 20th 08, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-19, Travis Marlatte wrote:
Using a mouse wheel to scroll works pretty well.

Not when reading news in a text mode reader in a terminal window, it
doesn't.

I would rather have excessive quoting that requires a fraction of a second
to scroll past than excessive trimming that makes me unfilter read
articles, find the thread in the long list, re-find my position in the
thread and then find a post that has enough context to be useful.

Optimize for the common case. Out of how many articles do you have to do
this once?

Further, your newsreader almost certainly has a function to read the parent
of the article you're currently on. Try using that; it makes life a lot
simpler.

Email threads are typically top post oriented. That makes it much simpler,
doesn't it? The new text is right at the top and the rest is an easy scroll
away but easily ignored.

Just because Microsoft screwed this up is no reason to enshrine it in
practice.

It seems that the phylosophy to bottom post is causing the problem. Bottom
posting makes all the intermediate text get in the way and trimming becomes
the curtious thing to do. Just top post and leave it all there. When the
thread gets too long, it's probably time to move on to something else
anyway.

Top posting is evil because it totally divorces your response from what
you're responding to, thus destroying any context in your replies.

Do you have conversations backwards? Then why post that way?

I have been bottom posting and trimming just to go along with the vocal few
that seem to get all bent out of shape otherwise. After thinking about, I
think I'll start top posting.

There are a nonzero number of people who ignore those discourteous enough to
top post.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 20th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Travis Marlatte" wrote:

no. because we read top down not bottom up.

away but easily ignored.
doesn't it? The new text is right at the top and the rest is an easy scroll
Email threads are typically top post oriented. That makes it much simpler,

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old April 20th 08, 11:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jay Maynard wrote:

Just because Microsoft screwed this up is no reason to enshrine it in
practice.

Eventually the real story of top-posting will come out. Some engineers
at microsoft wanted to prove how bad they could make the GUI and
still have the lemmings thinks it's a wonderful thing. :-)

Old April 20th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl mcgruber

But then, MS Flight Sim probably doesn't ever give you that audio, so
you probably won't hear it after all.
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)

Since "somerset" doesn't appear in the FAA pilot database, I'd be guessing
you're the one playing games while I'm out flying for a living. Certainly
your knowledge portends that.

Old April 21st 08, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

MS didn't invent email.

But otherwise, feel free to ignore this top post.
--
-------------------------------
Travis

Old April 21st 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-21, Travis Marlatte wrote:
MS didn't invent email.

No, they didn't. Before Outlook screwed up everyone's expectations, though,
top-posting was universally reviled. Microsoft's mistake changed all that,
and not for the better.

KAP 140 trouble Dan Luke Owning 27 July 12th 07 07:13 PM
Syrian MiG-21 in trouble Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 9 March 3rd 07 11:20 PM
Tie Down Trouble Dylan Smith Piloting 16 May 20th 06 09:47 PM
compass turns with high mounted compass (Cessna 152) Ray Instrument Flight Rules 22 April 7th 05 07:39 AM
engine trouble mindenpilot Owning 16 February 10th 05 02:17 AM