Need Paint Booth Info

Old December 7th 03, 05:58 PM
Tom Haughton

Default Need Paint Booth Info

I am trying to figure out what the ventilation capacity of my paint booth
should be. The size of it will be approximately 6,000 cubic feet. Given
this what size should my ventilation fan be?

Tom Haughton

Old December 7th 03, 09:58 PM
Rich S.

"Tom Haughton" wrote in message
I am trying to figure out what the ventilation capacity of my paint booth
should be. The size of it will be approximately 6,000 cubic feet. Given
this what size should my ventilation fan be?

Legally or practically speaking? It's been many years since I have inspected
a new paint spray booth, but I seem to remember the standard for acceptance
is a measured velocity of 100 fpm airflow across the surface to be painted.
I could be way off on this number though, as the number and quality of my
"Fire Inspector" brain cells has deteriorated considerably.

You probably should find out what fire code is in force in your community
and then look up the standard. Keep in mind that Federal fire codes are only
applicable for interstate transport. They have no effect in local law unless
the local ordinance uses them for reference. If you are west of the
Mississippi, chances are your fire code is the UFC (Uniform Fire Code) drawn
up and sold by the International Association of Fire Chiefs. Ask your local
fire marshal and he will probably point out the proper section of the code.

Rich S.