Safe, Single-Pilot IFR generalities

Old June 29th 05, 11:58 PM
Greg Farris

Default Safe, Single-Pilot IFR generalities

Here are some "general" tips for safe, single-pilot IFR, gleaned from
Larry Bartlett's refresher course. These tips do not represent the "meat
and potatoes" of the video course, but are thrown in at a couple of
points as generalities. How many agree with these :

1) No Single-Pilot, single engine IFR in IMC at night
2) No S-P Multi-engine IFR with MEA's higher than the aircraft's SE
performance
3) No S-P IFR in IMC without dual vacuum sources, and strong
preference for dual alrternators.
4) Keep VFR weather within range of the aircraft at all times, and
know where it is
5) Avoid S-P circling approaches in IMC, and definitely not at
night or close to minimums

Old June 30th 05, 03:10 AM
Bob Noel

In article , Greg Farris
wrote:

Here are some "general" tips for safe, single-pilot IFR, gleaned from
Larry Bartlett's refresher course. These tips do not represent the "meat
and potatoes" of the video course, but are thrown in at a couple of
points as generalities. How many agree with these :

1) No Single-Pilot, single engine IFR in IMC at night

no.

2) No S-P Multi-engine IFR with MEA's higher than the aircraft's SE
performance

depends on the reason for the MEA.

3) No S-P IFR in IMC without dual vacuum sources, and strong
preference for dual alrternators.

no

4) Keep VFR weather within range of the aircraft at all times, and
know where it is

no

5) Avoid S-P circling approaches in IMC, and definitely not at
night or close to minimums

depends

I guess I have a different definition of safe.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old June 30th 05, 03:22 AM
Michael 182

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
Here are some "general" tips for safe, single-pilot IFR, gleaned from
Larry Bartlett's refresher course. These tips do not represent the "meat
and potatoes" of the video course, but are thrown in at a couple of
points as generalities. How many agree with these :

I assume IFR means flying in IMC, so...

1) No Single-Pilot, single engine IFR in IMC at night

I agree. I'd also add no IFR over the Rockies, since I live here.

2) No S-P Multi-engine IFR with MEA's higher than the aircraft's SE
performance

Not twin rated, but this seems reasonable.

3) No S-P IFR in IMC without dual vacuum sources, and strong
preference for dual alrternators.

I have a standby vacuum system, but the bigger issue is recognizing the
failure and using the backup. It is not automatic. Redundant electrical
would be great, I don't have it, and I fly a lot of SE, SP IFR. Something to
consider...

4) Keep VFR weather within range of the aircraft at all times, and
know where it is

Usually, but not a trip canceler.

5) Avoid S-P circling approaches in IMC, and definitely not at
night or close to minimums

Absolutely. In fact, if it is near minimums I will usually go out of my way
to find an ILS.

Michael

Old June 30th 05, 03:56 AM
Gary Drescher

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
Here are some "general" tips for safe, single-pilot IFR, gleaned from
Larry Bartlett's refresher course. These tips do not represent the "meat
and potatoes" of the video course, but are thrown in at a couple of
points as generalities. How many agree with these :

1) No Single-Pilot, single engine IFR in IMC at night

I have yet to do that (in my 18 hours of IMC so far), but I'd be willing to
if my destination airport (and plenty of potential alternates along the way)
has a precision approach and the visibility below the ceiling is good.

2) No S-P Multi-engine IFR with MEA's higher than the aircraft's SE
performance

No ME for me.

3) No S-P IFR in IMC without dual vacuum sources, and strong
preference for dual alrternators.

The planes I fly in IMC usually have standby vacuum (but just one
alternator). I practice no-gyro approaches on my PC sim to stay proficient.

4) Keep VFR weather within range of the aircraft at all times, and
know where it is

Usually, but not always (I'm ok with widespread, calm, not-too-low IMC and
my handheld VOR/LOC for backup).

5) Avoid S-P circling approaches in IMC, and definitely not at
night or close to minimums

Absolutely, at least at my present level of experience.

--Gary

Old June 30th 05, 04:17 AM
Matt Barrow

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , Greg Farris

wrote:

[...]

Your's is more like AOPA Safety Foundation's.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa05.pdf (Single Pilot IFR)

Old June 30th 05, 05:44 AM
Jose

How many agree with these : (snipped)

Yes, I agree, the remaining IFR flights are likely to be safer. But you
are trading safety for utility when you fly IMC in the first place.

Jose
--
You may not get what you pay for, but you sure as hell pay for what you get.
Old June 30th 05, 06:26 AM
Judah

Greg Farris wrote in
:

Here are some "general" tips for safe, single-pilot IFR, gleaned from
Larry Bartlett's refresher course. These tips do not represent the
"meat and potatoes" of the video course, but are thrown in at a couple
of points as generalities. How many agree with these :

1) No Single-Pilot, single engine IFR in IMC at night

I'm not sure I understand this. Assuming you have a decent portable
light system in your flightbag - I carry a ring of red and green LED
lights in my bag, along with a larger green flashlight, a white
flashlight, and several green glow sticks, and keep at least one either
roped around my neck or my wrist when flying at night - IMC or not.
Enroute IFR/IMC at night seems fine. S-P approach to minimums at night
is a different story... But I don't even think there's all that much
difference between flying through soup at 3000' when the top of the
white stuff outside your window is light by the sun or the moon. Either
way, most of it will be lit by your strobes and landing light...

2) No S-P Multi-engine IFR with MEA's higher than the aircraft's
SE performance

Makes sense, but no ME.

3) No S-P IFR in IMC without dual vacuum sources, and strong
preference for dual alrternators.

Agreed.

4) Keep VFR weather within range of the aircraft at all times, and
know where it is

Kinda agreed. Always know your out. Not sure "real" VFR is necessary
though. An airport with 800-1000' ceilings and 5+ mi visibility is
probably enough for us guys in the flat NorthEast. Even if it means
flying an extra hour or more out of the way (assuming you will have the
fuel for it). Of course, I also carry a handheld radio with CDI and
spare batteries, so if I have some sort of catastrophic electronics
failure, I can still navigate IFR to find my way...

5) Avoid S-P circling approaches in IMC, and definitely not at
night or close to minimums

I don't really get the risk here. If you break out on a non-precision
approach and can circle to land, you are probably within 200' of VFR
pattern altitude anyway, and it's just doesn't seem like that big of a
risk. Actually, a precision Circle to land, which I think will create
more like a 500' - 600' pattern, seems more risky. But at 800', if you
lose sight of the runway while circling, even if you dip a bit on your
way up on the missed, you've got a lot of room to dip before hitting the
ground...

Admittedly, I also fly planes that have excellent avionics - IFR
approved moving map GPSes and autopilots, so perhaps I am slightly more
aggressive because of that. Admittedly, without the excellent avionics
and autopilot, I might be much more conservative about flying S-P IFR.
Old June 30th 05, 12:49 PM
Roy Smith

Greg Farris wrote:
Here are some "general" tips for safe, single-pilot IFR, gleaned from
Larry Bartlett's refresher course. These tips do not represent the "meat
and potatoes" of the video course, but are thrown in at a couple of
points as generalities. How many agree with these :

1) No Single-Pilot, single engine IFR in IMC at night

I agree that single-pilot IFR is hard, and doing it at night is harder, but
I don't see the single-engine connection. If the fear is not being able to
find an emergency landing spot, then the rule should be "No single-engine
at night". If the fear is pilot task overload, then the rule should be "no
single-pilot IMC at night".

2) No S-P Multi-engine IFR with MEA's higher than the aircraft's SE
performance

Again, I don't see the connection here. Presumably this means it's OK to
fly single-pilot, single-engine IFR at those same altitudes?

3) No S-P IFR in IMC without dual vacuum sources, and strong
preference for dual alrternators.

This is a good rule. I'll admit I break it.

4) Keep VFR weather within range of the aircraft at all times, and
know where it is.

An excellent rule.

5) Avoid S-P circling approaches in IMC, and definitely not at
night or close to minimums

No argument there.
Old June 30th 05, 01:08 PM
Roy Smith

Judah wrote:
But I don't even think there's all that much
difference between flying through soup at 3000' when the top of the
white stuff outside your window is light by the sun or the moon.

The difference (in my mind, and with my 40-something eyes) is that it's
harder to see stuff in the cockpit at night. Every task from instrument
scan, to reading a chart, to tuning a radio, to copying an in-flight
reroute becomes more difficult.

Task overload is insidious. It's taking you a little longer than usual to
find the right approach plate and get the radios set up, but you're still
keeping up so it's not a big deal. Then the controller tells you they just
switched runways, fly direct to some waypoint you've never heard of, expect
some different approach, contact the next controller on 123.45, etc, etc,
and suddenly you realize you're way behind. Maybe during the day you would
have been able to keep up, but at night the added workload of having to do
everything by flashlight sent you down the tubes.

There's also a lot more in the way of visual illusions at night. I've
broken out plenty of times and spotted what I thought was the approach
lights, only to realize it was a nearby highway.
Old June 30th 05, 01:46 PM
Michelle P

Greg,
if you are just starting flying I agree. If you have experience I would
consider and have done most of these.
I have yet to fly a Multi-engine aircraft over terrain that is higher
that the SE service ceiling. Although I do fly single pilot ME at night
in IMC. Experience is the key to succeeding at all of these.
Michelle ATP SE, COM ME.