How do you leave this airport IMC?

Old May 30th 05, 04:59 PM
Andrew Sarangan

What is the difference between 'runway heading' and 'straight-ahead'?

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in newsXEme.3670$MI4.1787
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

Good point. In other words, the aircraft should climb on runway heading
to 2300', and then turn to any heading and continue climbing at 200ft/NM
to the minimum IFR altitude.

No you should *not* "cllimb on runway heading to 2300' ". You:

1) cross the runway end at 35'
2) climb to 400' straight ahead at 200'/nm
3) turn to any heading while continuing to climb 200'/nm, obviously you
would choose your on course or clearance heading.

Mike
MU-2

Old May 30th 05, 05:29 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 30 May 2005 10:59:56 -0500, Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

What is the difference between 'runway heading' and 'straight-ahead'?

Rwy Heading: The same compass heading as the runway orientation (i.e. no
wind correction).

Straight Ahead: Flying the same course as the runway orientation.

Interesting that in the US we are taught that an instruction to fly runway
heading means just that -- no wind correction.

But in the setting of an ODP, given the manner in which the obstacles are
surveyed, it would make more sense to me to fly "straight-ahead".

Old May 31st 05, 02:00 AM
Mike Rapoport

[...]

None. I was respoinding to the notion that you have to climb on runway
heading or straight ahead to 2300'. You only need to maintain runway
heading to 400'.

Mike
MU-2

Old May 31st 05, 04:30 AM
John Clonts

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
news

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

Good point. In other words, the aircraft should climb on runway heading
to 2300', and then turn to any heading and continue climbing at 200ft/NM
to the minimum IFR altitude.

No you should *not* "cllimb on runway heading to 2300' ". You:

1) cross the runway end at 35'
2) climb to 400' straight ahead at 200'/nm
3) turn to any heading while continuing to climb 200'/nm, obviously you would choose your on course or
clearance heading.

Are'nt we still talking about KIDI runway 10 departure? The one that says: "DEPARTURE PROCEDU Rwy 10, climb
runway heading to 2300 before proceeding on course." ?

Old May 31st 05, 02:26 PM
Mike Rapoport

"John Clonts" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
news

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
Ron Rosenfeld wrote in
:

Good point. In other words, the aircraft should climb on runway heading
to 2300', and then turn to any heading and continue climbing at 200ft/NM
to the minimum IFR altitude.

No you should *not* "cllimb on runway heading to 2300' ". You:

1) cross the runway end at 35'
2) climb to 400' straight ahead at 200'/nm
3) turn to any heading while continuing to climb 200'/nm, obviously you
would choose your on course or clearance heading.

Are'nt we still talking about KIDI runway 10 departure? The one that
says: "DEPARTURE PROCEDU Rwy 10, climb runway heading to 2300 before
proceeding on course." ?

Argh! You're right! For some reason I thought that we were talking about
diverse departures in general.

Mike

Old June 1st 05, 01:18 PM

Mike Rapoport wrote:

[...]

That runway is a modified or restricted diverse departure because it has an
instruction as opposed to a full departure route.