FBO Insurance requirement for tie-downs

Old May 18th 04, 06:46 AM
Howard

Additional Insured status on YOUR policy and Hangar Keepers Liability are
very different.

Additional Insured (AI) protects them for liability claims arising from YOUR
ownership and operation of your aircraft. If the FBO gets sued for
something YOU did, the AI will give them some protection. However, it does
not protect them if THEY did something negligent, therefore most airport
require the FBO to carry their own insurance too.

Hangar Keepers Liability (HKLL) pays for damage to an aircraft in the FBO's
custody if the FBO damages it. AI will NOT pay for damage to your
aircraft - HKLL will.

Jon Howard

"zatatime" wrote in message
On 14 May 2004 08:00:40 -0700, (Chris) wrote:

That is the least of your concerns. Here is what happens:

You think you have $1 million liability insurance. Now that the FBO is

named insured, you really only have $500,000 liability insurance,

because in
the event of an accident the FBO is entitled to coverage under your

policy.
Basically, you are paying for the FBO's liability insurance.

Now that sounds more in line with what I was thinking. It certainly
gives me second thoughts. The issue is this airport is only 5 minutes
from my house which would be nice. I don't understand why they would
not rely on their insurance company to sue me/my insurance if an issue
ever arose. My guess is they are saving lots of money on premiums by
doing this with every aircraft on the ramp.

- CK

If they do this thry may not need insurance. There is something
called Hangar Keepers Insurance which airports/FBOs have to protect
themselves. It has gotten pretty expensive (like all insurance), so
if they can ride your coat tails they may be able to drop it. Might
be interesting to ask if they have Hangar Keepers, it may add a piece
to the puzzle.

Old May 18th 04, 12:43 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article xFapc.350$wn1.169@fed1read01,
BTIZ wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"BTIZ" wrote in message

You replaced their tie down chain with a rope..

Boy, what a bad example. Anybody who ties their plane down with a chain
deserves to get sued.

agreed.. but that is what the county provides..

....but do they mandate that you use that inferior tie down? Are they
taking the liability for the increased risk of shock damage when the
chain pulls up short with no give, bending metal...

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/
Old May 18th 04, 03:02 PM
Ben Haas

Aaron Coolidge wrote in message ...
Chris wrote:
: "All such insurance shall name the Landlord (FBO Name) as an
: additional insured, and shall be written by insurance companies have a
: "Best" rating of A or better....."

This is pretty mild. At the happy little airport that I'm based at the
rule was changed so that (1) The FBO, (2) The town, (3) The airport
comission, (4) the airport comissioners by name, (5) the selectmen by name
were to be listed as "additional insured". I (and some others) balked, and
the rule was withdrawn, after a very acrimonious debate.

Aaron is right on with this message. When you see a sitution coming
that doesn't pass the smell test like the policy they wanted to enact
at his airport, contest it till you are blue in the face, if you don't
they will ram it down your throat, or worse, some other place..

Ben Haas N801BH Jackson Hole.
Old May 18th 04, 03:37 PM
zatatime

Thanks for the info and clarification.

Question: If an airplane is tied down and "shot" by some pellets from
a shotgun, would that be something the FBO is resposible for?

Thanks agin.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:46:54 -0500, "Howard"
wrote:

Additional Insured status on YOUR policy and Hangar Keepers Liability are
very different.

Additional Insured (AI) protects them for liability claims arising from YOUR
ownership and operation of your aircraft. If the FBO gets sued for
something YOU did, the AI will give them some protection. However, it does
not protect them if THEY did something negligent, therefore most airport
require the FBO to carry their own insurance too.

Hangar Keepers Liability (HKLL) pays for damage to an aircraft in the FBO's
custody if the FBO damages it. AI will NOT pay for damage to your
aircraft - HKLL will.

Jon Howard

.. .

Old May 18th 04, 04:06 PM
Newps

"zatatime" wrote in message
Thanks for the info and clarification.

Question: If an airplane is tied down and "shot" by some pellets from
a shotgun, would that be something the FBO is resposible for?

Not unless the FBO did the shooting.

Old May 18th 04, 07:24 PM
zatatime

On Tue, 18 May 2004 09:06:57 -0600, "Newps"
wrote:

"zatatime" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for the info and clarification.

Question: If an airplane is tied down and "shot" by some pellets from
a shotgun, would that be something the FBO is resposible for?

Not unless the FBO did the shooting.

What if they allowed the shooting?