Sad News

Old September 21st 03, 01:24 AM
JohnD

Default Sad News

I sadly report that Hans Langer, the leader of the Southern California
Safari Group, died yesterday in a glider accident in Lone Pine. God
rest his soul.

ALWAYS remember to prepare properly (positive control checks EVERY
flight), always know your emergency procedures, and fly safely.
Old September 21st 03, 05:06 PM
JohnD

The glider was observed to have one spoiler deploy during take off
roll. He reported via radio when still under tow he was having spoiler
problems.

What happened between release and impact is not clear. The glider
impacted the top wire between high tension towers with it's left wing
and came to rest near the power line road directly below the power
lines. The tow pilot circled the crash site for some time allowing
emergency personnel to arrive as quickly as possible.

Old September 21st 03, 06:50 PM
Lord Struthers

Really Sad, that Guyed wire is almost invisible compared to the transmission
lines.
Rich
Old September 21st 03, 09:27 PM
JJ Sinclair

The glider was observed to have one spoiler deploy during take off
roll. He reported via radio when still under tow he was having spoiler
problems.

I remember a DG-400 with one spoiler deployed at Truckee. The pilot deployed
the other spoiler (the one that was still attached to the spoiler handle) and
then tried to make a normal landing on 19. He hit the cliff because both
spoilers were out. The lesson we can take from this latest sad news is; If one
spoiler deploys on tow, stay on tow until you have plenty of altitude and then
release and deploy the other spoiler. Then plunk it in the middle of the
longest runway available.

Very sorry to hear about another accident.
JJ Sinclair
Old September 22nd 03, 05:39 AM
Lord Struthers

One of the partners experienced split spoilers in the ASW17 on short final,with
a cross wind. It was an expensive year. If it doesn't work as advertised, I
abort. I almost hooked the top wire of a T pole, spraying in a Bell47D1, and I
wasn't pre occupied, just unaware.
Rich
Old September 22nd 03, 01:16 PM
Janos Bauer

My condolences...
Just another spoiler accident:
Last month (08.08) an IS29D2 preparing for xc took off with deployed
spoilers. The tow pilot noticed it and tried to inform the pilot (there
was no radio). The pilot didn't closed the spoilers and at the end the
glider was released right over the airport. The pilot realized the
higher than expected sink rate and tried to glide to the nearest thermal
where other gliders were circling. At half distance he realized that he
couldn't make it. Still not aware about the opened spoilers!! Turned
back to the airport and because of the reduced l/d hit some buildings
and finally landed on a road. There was no traffic on this road at that
time...

/Janos
Old September 22nd 03, 01:41 PM
JJ Sinclair

For the past 20 years, I have made it a practice to take a look at the spoilers
at about 500 feet on takeoff. It's easy, doesn't take a second. I am also
reassured to see that the wings are still on. How are you Disci drivers doing?
Are they still grounded?
JJ Sinclair
Old September 22nd 03, 02:40 PM
Janos Bauer

Yes, we have those signs: show your palm on the left side of the
towplane by facing your palm to the wind (if the cockpit is closed than
we use the same method what you described). This is what was used in
this case but there was no response from the glider pilot.

/Janos

John Giddy wrote:

Don't you guys have a simple visual signalling system
between the tug and the glider ?
In a situation like that, our tuggies waggle the rudder
enough to make the tug yaw back and forth. Signal means:
"Too much drag. Fix it !"
Waggle wings means "Get off NOW. Tug in trouble"
Cheers, John G. (Australia)

Old September 23rd 03, 12:25 AM
Chris OCallaghan

I do the same, only immediately after takeoff, before I have to make
an off field landing decision if I have a tow emergency. Don't even
need to check both wings. Just a quick look to left or right. Also
helps to touch the spoiler handle with a finger or two at the same
time.

There was a previous thread. A search on spoilers, take-off, rope
break should pull it up.