High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???)

Old July 9th 03, 03:01 PM
Darrel Toepfer

"Bushy" wrote...
clip all the crap

it's still the best cooling system for the price I made it for:

1 old sprinkler found in my neighbours shed $0.00
1 garden hose from my neighbours back yard $0.00

What else does your neighbor have to offer? g

Old July 9th 03, 05:40 PM
RobertR237

In article , Barnyard BOb --
writes:

No, but I am willing...are there any jobs for greabearded IT people there?

Bob Reed

Dunno, but....
What about becoming a Flying Saucer tour guide?
I hear the benefits are 'out of this world'.

Barnyard BOb -- groan

Sounds like some damn good benefits to me, where do I space-mail my resume?

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 9th 03, 05:40 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Bushy"
writes:

clip all the crap

What I do here is to put a sprinkler on the roof and run it every time the
roof heats up. It oversprays on three or four sides (depends on hard I turn
it on) of my plane construction shed and as there are no gutters, waters the
gardens around it as well. If the wind is blowing it around, I have to close
the windows on one or two sides, but it's still the best cooling system for
the price I made it for:

1 old sprinkler found in my neighbours shed $0.00
1 garden hose from my neighbours back yard $0.00

At least on the farm, the water is available to do this without any problems
from neighbours or councils......

Hope this helps,
Peter

On really hot and sunny days that helps but not so much when its just 90
degrees and 90 percent humidity with broken clouds. I just love those daily
showers that cool things off for about 10 minutes before the sun comes back out
and produces a first quality steam bath.

Old July 9th 03, 05:40 PM
RobertR237

In article , Big John
writes:

I'd suggest you get one or two of the 4 foot shop fans that sit on the
floor. When I worked in my shop, they did a pretty good job of keeping
me comfortable.

Big John
Point of the sword

I put an airconditioner into the wall of the garage a couple of years ago and
it has helped a lot. The problem with it is the garage is not insulated and it
must be run overnight to bring the temp down and hold it most of the day. In
the current situation that would not have helped since I was working in the
greenhouse doing some staining and finishing on some doors. It is empty this
time of year and is the only place I had enough room to work. I have a couple
of big fans but could not use them without causing problems with the finish.
Just have to wear long sleves, grin, and bear it.

Old July 9th 03, 05:58 PM
Richard Isakson

"RobertR237" wrote ...
Barnyard BOb writes:
Dunno, but....
What about becoming a Flying Saucer tour guide?
I hear the benefits are 'out of this world'.

Sounds like some damn good benefits to me, where do I space-mail my

resume?

You have to carve it into a wheat field.

Rich

Old July 9th 03, 08:51 PM
Dillon Pyron

On 08 Jul 2003 01:29:29 GMT, osit (RobertR237)
wrote:

In article , Ernest Christley
writes:

RobertR237 wrote:

With all this talk of using a gas powered blower would someone please

explain
how that blower is going to overcome the effects of altitude and maintain

the
same velocity of air. It is going to drop off in power just as the engine

will
and at altitude its effect will be nil.

Bob, they've told you already. They're going to put a turbo on the
blower. Sheesh! 8*)

OK, and they are going to power the turbo with what?

All the hot air from this NG.

--
dillon

The pen may be mightier than the sword,
but a .sig never beat a SIG
Old July 9th 03, 09:43 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:42:27 -0400, "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
I'd suggest you get one or two of the 4 foot shop fans that sit on the
floor. When I worked in my shop, they did a pretty good job of keeping
me comfortable.

Big John
Point of the sword

I'll go you one better.

With all the money that is being spent on an airplane, why not spring for
just a little more an put AC in for the shop? Never quit again because of
the temperature, have control over pot times, and I'm sure there are a few
other good reasons.

Now that I have it, I'll never have another shop without it. Spoilt', ya
know! g

Life is to short, too be miserable while you are having fun!

Got air in the shop ready to start welding the fuselage of the
Pegazair any day now.
Old July 9th 03, 11:40 PM
Model Flyer

"RobertR237" wrote in message
In article , "Morgans"
jisumorgan@charterdotjunkdotnet writes:

(as in manifold pressure)?
--
Jim in NC

With all this talk of using a gas powered blower would someone

please explain
how that blower is going to overcome the effects of altitude and

maintain the
same velocity of air. It is going to drop off in power just as the

engine will
and at altitude its effect will be nil.

Bob, the simple answer is, the leaf blower is turbo charged.:-)
--

..
--

Antispam trap in place

Old July 10th 03, 10:48 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
RobertR237 wrote:
In article , clare @ snyder.on .ca
writes:

You want to try 115F and 105% humidity. Threat of rain for about 3
weeks before it finally comes, then 114 inches in 12 weeks. Rain comes
down in bucketfuls for about 15 minutes, then the sun comes out and
the puddles boil away in less than an hour. Mushrooms between your
toes and in your armpits!!
That was Livingstone Zambia October - November 1973/74!!!

Next 9 months you could guarantee rainless days and nights.

The 115 with 100% is close but how the hell do you get 105% humidity?

"super-saturated solution". Really.

Old July 10th 03, 01:36 PM
dann mann

How about one of the new miniature turbine engines used on model
aircraft. Duct it so the exhaust would feed directly into the carb of
the main engine on take off and shut the turbine off for cruise. These
cost about 1500 bucks now and weigh about 10 lbs.