Century Ic and GPS

Old November 24th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grandmaster

Default Century Ic and GPS

Anyone know...Do I need a Digital to Analog converter to connect my
Garmin 396 to my Century Ic? Anyone got any schematics? Does anyone
have a setup like this? How efficient is the wing leveler (does it
hold a track when slaved to a gps source)?

Thanks, Kelly

Old November 24th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip

Grandmaster wrote:
Anyone know...Do I need a Digital to Analog converter to connect my
Garmin 396 to my Century Ic? Anyone got any schematics? Does anyone
have a setup like this? How efficient is the wing leveler (does it
hold a track when slaved to a gps source)?

Thanks, Kelly

I have a Century 1 which is selectable between NAV and GPS (when not in
gyro "wing leveler" mode). It tracks very well once it's spent a while
figuring out the crab angle to compensate for cross track wind.
Just don't expect it to acquire a new heading if the GPS demands one!

Rip

Old November 24th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
rq3

The Century 1 (if it has the nav tracker installed) will track any
standard +/- 150 millivolt nav signal, which is generally used to drive
a VOR indicator or the like. My GPS (a Garmin 300XL), provides this signal.

Rip

Old November 24th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grandmaster

Does anyone know the signal output (analog or digital) of the 396? I
know it is output from the extra wires on the power cord, but the
manual does not have a schematic. I know aviation shops can but tech
manuals and they all certainly know it by heart. I have a homebuilt
and want to do it myself. I can probably get a wiring diagram for the
century I.

Old November 24th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley[_2_]

Check he

http://www.porcine.com/

ps.com...

Old November 27th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mikem

Grandmaster wrote:
Does anyone know the signal output (analog or digital) of the 396? I
know it is output from the extra wires on the power cord, but the
manual does not have a schematic.

The only autopilot-relevant output from a 296/396/496 is digital, i. e.
it is 9600 baud RS232 which talks in NEMA0183 standard sentences. To
interface it to a wing-leveler, which expects +-50uA AIRINC analog
input, requires a microprocessor interface. The uP parses the RS232 and
converts it into an analog current to steer the autopilot...

see http://www.porcine.com/

Old November 28th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Grandmaster

Thanks a ton...based on everyone's posts, I just purchased a "Smart
Coupler" from porcine.