Private Pilot Exam Prep Course

Old July 5th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Captkev

Default Private Pilot Exam Prep Course

I'm looking for the best course to prepare for the private pilot
written exam. Can anyone recommend a course that helped them pass the
test? Does anyone have experience with the 'King School' DVD's?
Please advise.

Old July 5th 07, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Captkev wrote:
I'm looking for the best course to prepare for the private pilot
written exam. Can anyone recommend a course that helped them pass the
test? Does anyone have experience with the 'King School' DVD's?

The King course is excellent. I've King courses for both my Private and
Instrument tests.

I don't have experience with the others.
Old July 5th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:49:48 -0700, Captkev wrote:

Can anyone recommend a course that helped them pass the
test?

After you finish your "video ground school" you be wise to purchase some
test prep software. Actually, the best idea is to use both of them
together taking the appropriate test section after each video chapter.

http://www.gleim.com/products/produc...php?proID=5548

--
Dallas
Old July 5th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay B

On Jul 5, 10:36 am, Dallas wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:49:48 -0700, Captkev wrote:
Can anyone recommend a course that helped them pass the
test?

After you finish your "video ground school" you be wise to purchase some
test prep software. Actually, the best idea is to use both of them
together taking the appropriate test section after each video chapter.

http://www.gleim.com/products/produc...php?proID=5548

--
Dallas

You can go to Sporty's and use their "Study Buddy" page(s) for free...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old July 6th 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom[_1_]

On Jul 5, 11:49 am, Captkev wrote:
I'm looking for the best course to prepare for the private pilot
written exam. Can anyone recommend a course that helped them pass the
test? Does anyone have experience with the 'King School' DVD's?
Please advise.

I have used the private and instrument courses from King and did well.
Some of the training aids are a bit irritating, but I remember the
material because of it.

I supplemented the material with the exams on Sporty's website and
only missed one question on the IFR exam.

Tom

Old July 6th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Captkev wrote:
I'm looking for the best course to prepare for the private pilot
written exam. Can anyone recommend a course that helped them pass the
test? Does anyone have experience with the 'King School' DVD's?
Please advise.

There used to be a website called "Exams4pilots" where you could take
practice written exams. You could choose as many questions as you like,
and specify the ones with or without use of figures. I found it to be
very helpful. Don't know if it still exists, and too lazy to search for
it at the moment.
;-)
Old July 6th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 08:49:48 -0700, Captkev wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the 'King School' DVD's?
Please advise.

I have no first hand experience, but I like the concept of Computer Based
Instruction (CBI) systems.

CBI systems allow you to jump right to a subject rather than searching a
chapter on a DVD. In other words you can random access instead of linear
access information. In theory a good program would be interactive with
instant feedback.

Around this area, flight schools seems to use the Cessna program:
http://www.wingsaircharter.com/cbi%20top%20ten.htm

A friend of mine did it with King Videos and said he wished he had some
Dexedrine to stay awake. (*repeat: the old video program)

Or you can go low tech with the Jeppesen Private Pilot book for $70...
it's portable.

--
Dallas
Old July 6th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Dallas wrote:

I have no first hand experience, but I like the concept of Computer Based
Instruction (CBI) systems.

King does CBI, too.

You watch a video, then answer computer based questions. I actually
forgot they have true video courses. My previous comments in this
thread all apply to the computer-based version.
Old July 7th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Captkev" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking for the best course to prepare for the private pilot
written exam. Can anyone recommend a course that helped them pass the
test? Does anyone have experience with the 'King School' DVD's?
Please advise.

The following is no shortcut, but for most it is the surest and best way to
prepare for an FAA written exam.

For lots of good reasons, a real class at your local FBO or community
college should be your first choice. This will get you the basic knowledge you
need, plus crucial local knowledge, plus (hopefully) some good aviation friends
and relationships, plus your signoff to take the test. From there, get your
head in a Q&A test prep book and take practice tests (available several places
in the Internet) until you are consistantly getting the score you want. Then
you can confidently go take the exam knowing in advance what score to expect.

I have taken 4 FAA written exams over the years and this method has worked
for me every time.

Vaughn

Private Exam Slick Piloting 8 December 3rd 04 04:27 AM
Oral Exam Prep -- recommendations and recollections Nicholas Kliewer Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 15th 04 05:00 PM
Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Exam - Includes Gleim TestPrep & Commercial Pilot FAA Knowledge Exam book Cecil Chapman Products 1 November 15th 04 04:22 PM
FA: Cessna Private Pilot and Instrument Pilot Complete Training Kits Wei-En Tan Aviation Marketplace 1 May 30th 04 07:38 PM
FA: ASA Private Pilot Virtual Test Prep 2003 on DVD Scaggs Island Pilots Supplies Aviation Marketplace 0 August 30th 03 06:28 PM