OSH: Icon A5 presentation

Old August 3rd 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob

Default OSH: Icon A5 presentation

"Morgans" wrote
But what if it is equipped to fly IFR? Can one be certified by LSA
instead of part 23?

Sport Pilot News News Archive
10/13/05 - SPECIAL LSA AND NIGHT/IFR FLYING

Some confusion exists in the aviation marketplace regarding the use of
special light-sport aircraft (S-LSA) for flying at night and/or under
instrument flight rules (IFR). The ASTM consensus standards that govern
the manufacture and production of S-LSA specifically address day/visual
flight rules (VFR) operations only.

First, sport pilots, or those exercising sport pilot privileges, are
restricted from flying at night or in IFR conditions, so they may not
operate an S-LSA, or any aircraft, at those times.

Other properly rated pilots may fly an S-LSA in those conditions if
allowed per the aircraft’s operating limitations and if it is equipped
per FAR 91.205. Additionally, FAR 91.327(d) requires all S-LSA to be
operated in accordance with the aircraft’s operating instructions. An
aircraft’s operating instructions are different from operating
limitations; operating instructions are issued by manufacturers—engine,
airframe, and accessory—while operating limitations are issued by the
FAA.

Many S-LSA are equipped with Rotax engines. Rotax’s operating
instructions prohibit the use of a Rotax engine at night or in IFR
conditions unless it is the FAA type-certificated engine; that is,
certificated to FAR Part 33. Rotax’s non-certificated engines are
indicated by the letters “UL” after the engine series number; for
example, 912UL, 912ULS, and 914UL.

Additionally, S-LSA airframe and engine manufacturers may place
restrictions against the use of their aircraft and/or engines for
night/IFR operations. For example, other S-LSA are powered by Jabiru
engines; these engines are certificated to JAR-22H and are limited to
day/VFR operation.

Bottom line: some S-LSA can be equipped for night and IFR operation; be
sure to tell the manufacturer/dealer if your intent is to operate the
aircraft under those conditions…and make sure you have the proper
ratings.

For more information, call EAA’s Aviation Service at 888/EAA-INFO (322-
4636) or e-mail .

Old August 3rd 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Certificated!!
Certificated!!

/certified/

{;-)

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Jay Maynard" wrote

Who says an LSA has to be VFR-only? Mine's not.

That brings an interesting subject to mind.

If an aircraft is certified through the LSA process instead of the more
rigorous part 23 certification process, and the LSA is VFR only, can one
of these LSA certified planes fly in IMC or IFR?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rocky Stevens

On Aug 2, 7:27 am, Jay Maynard wrote:
Who says an LSA has to be VFR-only? Mine's not.

In the video the guy made it very clear that they are targeting people
with the sport pilot license. In fact, he went so far as to say that
it is the very existence of the Sport Pilot rule that makes his
company possible.

That being said, I do not see what is so exciting about this plane
that I would shell out 150K for it (not that I have that kind of money
anyway). There doesn't seem to be anything particularly "game
changing" about it. I do like the amphibious capability though; being
able to take off on land and land on water (and visa versa) would be
pretty handy.
Old August 3rd 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Rocky Stevens" wrote in message
On Aug 2, 7:27 am, Jay Maynard wrote:
Who says an LSA has to be VFR-only? Mine's not.

In the video the guy made it very clear that they are targeting people
with the sport pilot license. In fact, he went so far as to say that
it is the very existence of the Sport Pilot rule that makes his
company possible.

That being said, I do not see what is so exciting about this plane
that I would shell out 150K for it (not that I have that kind of money
anyway). There doesn't seem to be anything particularly "game
changing" about it. I do like the amphibious capability though; being
able to take off on land and land on water (and visa versa) would be
pretty handy.

It reminds me of a SeaBee

Old August 3rd 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"RST Engineering" wrote
Certificated!!
Certificated!!

/certified/

I'll try to remember that, but...
No promises! ggg

My brain cavity seems to be rather empty at times, as of late! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote

My brain cavity seems to be rather empty at times, as of late! ;-)

P.S. I just married off my last kid, my son, last night.

We threw quite the party! I haven't gotten out of second gear yet, today.
;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old August 3rd 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default Icon A5 presentation

the ICON A5

One for the marketing department:

At OSH they hired a sky-writer to write "ICON A5" over the Airventure
grounds. It looked great -- but everyone (myself included) thought that the
pilot was simply misspelling "ICOM A5" -- which is one of ICOM's hand-held
models.

We chuckled about it all week -- and now we find out that they were really
advertising a new airplane!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 3rd 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

P.S. I just married off my last kid, my son, last night.

Congrats, Jim!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old August 3rd 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Morgans" wrote in message

P.S. I just married off my last kid, my son, last night.

We threw quite the party! I haven't gotten out of second gear yet, today.

Do not fear the empty nest. For one thing, once our kid was out of the
house, we were amazed at how much pocket money we suddeny had. We had no idea
we were spending that much money to support someone who already was getting a
regular paycheck.

Vaughn

Old August 3rd 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Riley

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

P.S. I just married off my last kid, my son, last night.

We threw quite the party! I haven't gotten out of second gear yet,
today.

Do not fear the empty nest. For one thing, once our kid was out of the
house, we were amazed at how much pocket money we suddeny had. We had no
idea we were spending that much money to support someone who already was
getting a regular paycheck.

Vaughn

Wake up call.

Just wait until he and his bride show up on the front porch, saying they are
moving back in for awhile until they can "get established".

OR, call and say they need a loan of a "few thousand" to "tide them over"

You say it won't happen?? I hope you are right. But don't bet your
retirement fund on it!! Been there, done that!!!

Paul

Icon A-5 gatt[_5_] Piloting 4 June 15th 08 03:31 PM
National Icon Dies Suddenly Shiver Rotorcraft 0 April 17th 06 12:22 AM
F.S. NEW ICON A4 [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 06:33 AM
F.S. NEW ICON A4 [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 06:33 AM